SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2016 Part 10 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/386870-class-february-2016-part-10-a.html)

Dee74 03-15-2016 02:48 PM

Class of February 2016 Part 10

Continues from here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-9-a-21.html

D

OldTomato 03-15-2016 02:49 PM

Shotgun.

OldTomato 03-15-2016 02:50 PM

Thanks for the thread Dee! :You_Rock_

opalblue 03-15-2016 02:52 PM

Hey OT. Just thinking out loud. You mentioned about a gay girl sponsor. Is that allowed if you are gay to have a gay sponsor? Isn't that the same as a woman not being allowed to chose a man sponsor?

Auggie 03-15-2016 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by knb02 (Post 5852792)
Hey OT. Just thinking out loud. You mentioned about a gay girl sponsor. Is that allowed if you are gay to have a gay sponsor? Isn't that the same as a woman not being allowed to chose a man sponsor?

I'm not in AA but curious, how do they deal with bi-sexual people?

opalblue 03-15-2016 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Auggie (Post 5852795)
I'm not in AA but curious, how do they deal with bi-sexual people?

Lol that's even more interesting. Gosh. Never thought about that. Not sure.
Aa are so strict when it comes to early potential romances. My sponsor told me I wasn't allowed to take men's phone numbers till I had a long length of sobriety ( like two years) . I am also not suppose to have a relationship for two years.

OldTomato 03-15-2016 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by knb02 (Post 5852792)

That's what I thought at first. The only reasoning I could think of was that we have to delve into our past a lot while working the steps. I've had a lot of issues because of my sexuality, family members disowning me, bad experiences in college, etc. I'm guessing it's because someone with the same sexuality would be able to relate and go into it better?

opalblue 03-15-2016 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldTomato (Post 5852813)
That's what I thought at first. The only reasoning I could think of was that we have to delve into our past a lot while working the steps. I've had a lot of issues because of my sexuality, family members disowning me, bad experiences in college, etc. I'm guessing it's because someone with the same sexuality would be able to relate and go into it better?

I guess so but you could still fall in love with her. It doesn't make sense.
Anyway I an sorry to hear that. I hope you are proud of who you are :-)

opalblue 03-15-2016 03:20 PM

Back to my orphan black

OldTomato 03-15-2016 03:25 PM

True story knb, but then my sponsor found her current boyfriend in AA so I guess she's not too bothered about that rule? :lmao I'm leaning towards not having a sponsor full stop anyhow.

And yes, I am proud of who I am. If family members are going to have such a problem with something like that then I don't want or need them in my life anyway!

OldTomato 03-15-2016 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by knb02 (Post 5852861)
Back to my orphan black

Enjoy!

OldTomato 03-15-2016 03:36 PM

I'm off to bed now guys. Got a meeting, volunteering, teaching, and most importantly CAKE to look forward to tomorrow. Busy day. I've done so much AA step work today and I can't keep my eyes open. Catch you all in the morning!

KarenOskie 03-15-2016 04:02 PM

I don't know how every AA group manages the gay and bisexual issues, but the group I went to during my longest period of sobriety had a lot of gay women. They did sponsor one another, but were supposed to be careful about not forming romantic relationships in a sponsor relationship. It didn't always work out that way, people will be people. But they were a very tight knit group, I was very close with them even though I'm not gay. We had a singing group. It was wonderful, and was one of the reasons I was able to stick with my sobriety for so long. Wish they were here now!!!

opalblue 03-15-2016 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldTomato (Post 5852895)
I'm off to bed now guys. Got a meeting, volunteering, teaching, and most importantly CAKE to look forward to tomorrow. Busy day. I've done so much AA step work today and I can't keep my eyes open. Catch you all in the morning!

Night OT. Speak to you in the morning x

opalblue 03-15-2016 04:04 PM

One more episode and I am going to bed too

Delizadee 03-15-2016 04:18 PM

Night owwld tohmaahtoe and soon knb2. :D

Outonthetiles 03-15-2016 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldTomato (Post 5852895)

Cake!!!!!:c011:

JL2014 03-15-2016 05:15 PM

Hard, bad day at work.
Off to bed.
Hugs, friends!

PHRD 03-15-2016 05:48 PM

Night everyone! Thanks for the laughs, stories and inspiration. Coco you must have had the munchies while reading the chips post! I started watching Orange is the new black tonight because everyone said it was great. I didnt like the first episode when I watched it a long time ago but after watching the next two episodes Im hooked. I did already read the book so I know some of the story lines already. Yawn. Tomorrows day 16. As someone else said Im also just ticking along here! :-)

PHRD 03-15-2016 05:50 PM

Oh tomorrows day 17. :-)