SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Soberpotamus's Oral Surgery Recovery Support & Journal Part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/383657-soberpotamuss-oral-surgery-recovery-support-journal-part-3-a.html)

Soberpotamus 02-04-2016 07:41 PM

I'm waking up each morning biting down, with no pain. I called the doctor and he said there's nothing to worry about, and nothing I can do about it anyway. I'm not grinding yet, as far as I can tell. Just teeth touching, and mostly on the right side.

Going to ask him at the next appointment when it's safe to start back running.

SoberLeigh 02-04-2016 07:44 PM

Hope you have a peaceful night's sleep tonight, Potamus.

Soberpotamus 02-04-2016 10:28 PM

Thanks, Leigh. :)

My sleep schedule is all out of whack now. Since it's hard for me to fall asleep, I have been going to sleep later and waking up later. And I mean late, like falling asleep after the sun comes up, lol.

I'm in for an uncomfortable adjustment soon. I go back to my part-time job working with the plants on Monday morning.

Soberpotamus 02-04-2016 10:32 PM

I ate chicken chili with lots of melted sharp cheddar cheese for dinner. So good.

Drank a Dutch chocolate and banana protein shake for dessert.

I think I'll overrule the doctor and wait two more weeks than he suggested to start chewing again. I'd rather be safer and push it back a few weeks. It's three weeks away. Maybe I'll change my mind by then, who knows.

happyandfree 02-05-2016 06:57 AM

So glad to hear that you are doing well, soberpotamus. You are very brave and I bet this surgery will have a big impact on your life in many ways. Both physically and mentally. Bravo to you. :You_Rock_

Anna 02-05-2016 10:29 AM

Yay, the healing continues and good for you getting back to work next week!

SoberLeigh 02-05-2016 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus (Post 5779898)
I ate chicken chili with lots of melted sharp cheddar cheese for dinner. So good.

Drank a Dutch chocolate and banana protein shake for dessert.

I think I'll overrule the doctor and wait two more weeks than he suggested to start chewing again. I'd rather be safer and push it back a few weeks. It's three weeks away. Maybe I'll change my mind by then, who knows.

You are doing beautifully, Potamus; so happy to see it.

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 12:30 PM

I managed to wake up two hours earlier today. :)

Tomorrow I'll aim for 9-ish.

And then Sunday, I'll try for 7-ish.

I should be on track by Monday.

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 12:56 PM

I'm sitting here debating over whether to call my ortho or not. The surgeon says one month, but I'm thinking 8-12 weeks, lol.

Just can't imagine them doing ortho work (which requires pulling, pushing, and all sorts of forceful maneuvers) on me right now! That really scares me.

Again, I think I'll overrule him on this one. He said "around one month" so I'm going to extend that out to two months.

Might call them and find out what they think about this.

SoberLeigh 02-05-2016 12:58 PM

Do you have braces to keep your teeth in place in the meantime, Potamus?

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 01:01 PM

Oh, yes, Leigh -- since the end of April 2013. I got them put on the month I got sober. So, nearly three years now. They had to move all my teeth to get them into position for the new jaw position.

Now they'll tweak them over the next few months. Probably six months at most. Then they'll come off, thank goodness. So sick of them.

I can't wait to whiten my teeth!!

SoberLeigh 02-05-2016 01:07 PM

Your smile is going to be outstanding, Potamus.

If you have bracs to hold your teeth in place, I imagine you'll be fine waiting an extra month or so to start moving them again.

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 01:18 PM

Yeah, it should be ok to wait. It's not as if one more month will derail anything. So, yeah, I would rather be conservative and safe. It would be different if he insisted I go in immediately; he didn't. He left it up to me.

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 01:56 PM

I've got a little stockpile of Vanilla flavored Ensure for when I'm at work (four hours per day). They're around 300 calories, so I should be fine.

I'm going to order some Butter Pecan Ensure from Amazon! I love butter pecan ice-cream. So did my grandmother. Years ago, when I was a kid, I used to think her butter pecan and black walnut ice-cream was incredibly old-fashioned and boring, lol. :) I love them now! I get the appeal.

Isn't it funny how we end up doing, saying, and acting in ways similar to our parents or grandparents?? :)

Anna 02-05-2016 02:02 PM

Yes, it is. I have fallen in love with soft,cottony, gauzey scarves in the last few months and it occurred to me that my grandmother (who I adored) always had a lovely scarf with her.

SP, trust your instincts with the upcoming dental work. I think you know what's best for you now. :)

SoberLeigh 02-05-2016 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus (Post 5780920)
I've got a little stockpile of Vanilla flavored Ensure for when I'm at work (four hours per day). They're around 300 calories, so I should be fine.

I'm going to order some Butter Pecan Ensure from Amazon! I love butter pecan ice-cream. So did my grandmother. Years ago, when I was a kid, I used to think her butter pecan and black walnut ice-cream was incredibly old-fashioned and boring, lol. :) I love them now! I get the appeal.

Isn't it funny how we end up doing, saying, and acting in ways similar to our parents or grandparents?? :)

It certainly is - and a bit scary, too.

venuscat 02-05-2016 02:03 PM

Butter Pecan Ensure? Wow. And that ice cream sounds so good.

Just reading along J....so proud of you!

I know work might be a bit tiring at first, but I'm sure it will be nice to be outside for a bit, and moving a little.

And yes, I am my mother now, and I am proud of it. I say and do things so much like she did.
It keeps her with me, and it makes me happy.

EDIT: My mother loved scarves too Anna, and I still have a few of hers tucked into one of my handbags. :)

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 5780939)
It keeps her with me, and it makes me happy.

I notice that there are things I say or do that remind me of them. It's odd, really. Sometimes I laugh, other times I kind of cringe. :) I guess we get the good and bad. And the stuff in between.

I sometimes look at my hands, or neck, or my face in certain angles -- eek! It's my mom. :) Or my dad. :)

Dee74 02-05-2016 02:29 PM

Isn't it funny how we end up doing, saying, and acting in ways similar to our parents or grandparents??
:lala

D

Soberpotamus 02-05-2016 02:30 PM

:)