SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2013 Part 42 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/370129-class-march-2013-part-42-a.html)

Saskia 06-25-2015 06:48 AM

Gilmer, I hope the tour goes well! As for your dad having confidence in you, I can say that he should. I would take it as it was likely intended - a compliment during a moment when he was lucid.

Marcher13 06-25-2015 04:23 PM

Good morning Marchers from a sunny Paradise. I've found yet another benefit of sobriety over the last 24 hours. My car has been clunky on gear changes for a few days so we took it in yesterday to be checked out, the gearbox is shot so, as the car is 13 years old, replacing the gearbox may not be a wise choice of spending. A few years ago I would have panicked and been in disaster mode, thanks to sobriety and my booze fund a little secondhand car is entirely possible.

Gilmer I think Sass summed up your Dad's comment perfectly.

Here's a laugh for all of you: I think I might have mentioned that I don't watch much TV? When Wolfie had that b&w avatar I thought it was a photo of him, now that he has a larger photo in his signature I can see the words "Lost" and "Locke" in there so I googled images. That is not a photo of Wolfie. https://monsbiz.files.wordpress.com/...wry-smiley.jpg

Have a good day all.

BuddinK 06-25-2015 06:14 PM

Marcher, my vote would be the Holden Ute!

wehav2day 06-25-2015 06:17 PM

Way to go, marcher!! "We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us," one of my favoritest recovery promises.

wehav2day 06-25-2015 06:22 PM

(((((One day)))))) sorry about your friend. You are a good friend to go see her. I'm guessing they out your friend on morphine, it's verrry common in hospice. And it makes you kind of gone for a couple of days. I'm hanging out with my best friend and her mom right now, moms in hospice too. She's on a pretty heavy regime of morphine and adavan. Morphine in her case takes pressure off her chest. In cancer, it's pain management. My friends mom got used to the drugs after a few days and perked up a bit. I hope your friend has almost all good days on her journey...

tootsl1 06-26-2015 01:52 AM

Gilmer thoughts with you and your dad today, I hope he is lucid enough to take in the good aspects of living in a care facility.

We, 1day, thoughts with you both as you deal will losing friends. That you are supportive in thought and deed will be truly appreciated by them and those around them. It will also ease your loss.

Gilmer 06-26-2015 02:30 AM

I had dial-it-yourself morphine after my last c-section. I was still in a lot of pain after the normal dose, so I cranked it up--and instantly started itching like crazy!

They got rid of the morphine and gave me percocet instead.

trachemys 06-26-2015 03:25 AM

Bah, humbug! I had a good sleep going when the alarm rang. Even the snoozes were good.

I see a good sleep coming Saturday night.

Soberwolf 06-26-2015 05:00 AM

http://i.picresize.com/images/2015/06/26/6NrAb.jpg

1Dayatatyme 06-26-2015 08:17 AM

Wehav: I only wish I could see my friend in person... unfortunately, she lives in Montana. :( I have no idea what her treatment is, I am just hoping that her providers are keeping her comfortable and as pain free as possible. Your friend and her mother are blessed to have you in their presence.

Marcher13 06-26-2015 04:17 PM

Good morning Marchers :) Don't come too close because I have a nasty cold which I don't want to give to anyone.

Just to add to the fun: heavy sigh, the car will cost $A2000 to repair which we don't consider economical as it would only get a 3 month warranty with a replacement (secondhand) gear box. Apparently the modern gearboxes can't be reconditioned?

Ken I love your suggestion of a holden ute, I can just see me driving one of these!

http://images-2.drive.com.au/2010/07..._420-420x0.jpg

Have a good day peeps.

Marcher13 06-26-2015 04:18 PM

sorry double post

digdug 06-26-2015 07:00 PM

Okay - I am FINALLY caught up in this thread. So much has happened, both good and bad. So congrats to those that are celebrating accomplishments, birthdays, anniversaries and matrimony (yay Supreme Court!).

And my prayers and hugs to those that are dealing with those that are suffering physically and emotionally.

Also, there is no such thing as a "Philly cheesesteak"! It's just called a cheeseteak, dammit. Nothing more, nothing less. :headbange :rolleyes2 :aargh4: :wink:

So here's what I've been up to over the past couple of months:

1. Had a medical scare - my annual endoscopy turned up a bunch of abnormal stuff. Several biopsies were taken. Luckily everything is ok for the time being. Hoping it continues that way for a bit.

2. I got promoted at work. Got a huge raise and great bonus. But I've been working my butt off. Just finished and it's almost 10pm on a Friday night.

3. My girlfriend also got promoted. She got an even bigger raise than me! I was able to help her with part of the interview process, which required a presentation based on a hypothetical scenario. Luckily, the scenario is basically what I do for a living, so I drafted up a quick power point deck for her. She said that pushed her to the top. Was glad I could pitch in.

4. My brother and his wife had a beautiful baby girl. She is one month old next week. I took two days off from work just to be there for my brother and sister in law at the hospital. The baby had to be in the NICU for a couple of days but she's doing fine now. My girlfriend and I are going to see the baby tomorrow.

5. We booked a vacation to a fancy all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana in August. I can't wait to be laying on the beach with a good book and a lemonade. I REALLY need the time off.

6. Girlfriend and I are moving in together when our leases run up in December. We're going to start looking for apartments in September.

7. I've cooked over 60 meals in the past 4 months. About to make steak gyros in a few minutes.

8. I've been to the following places for work: Sacramento, Denver, Phoenix, Memphis, New York City, and Ft. Meyers Florida. Heading to Plano, Tx on Monday, then back to Colorado the following week. I am close to free tickets and hotel rooms with all my miles and points.

That's all for now. Have a great weekend!

Saskia 06-26-2015 07:09 PM

Thanks for the update, DD and congrats on the promotion! You sound strong and it's great to hear that. Sounds like you and GF are quite the item :-)

Marcher, love the car :D

Gilmer, OMG, I am the opposite - I am fine on morphine but get very sick on Percocet!

Dee74 06-26-2015 07:44 PM

get well soon Marcher :)
Good to see you DD :)
(((1day)))

have a good weekend gang :)

D

1Dayatatyme 06-26-2015 08:27 PM

Marcher: haha... I think I have a little sniffle... jk....;
Dig: nice hearing from you;
Dee: you also, enjoy the week-end!

tootsl1 06-27-2015 12:39 AM

Too late Marcher I think, I woke up sneezing and sniffling!

DD wonderful to 'see' you and catch up on all your news. So glad the health scare appears to have been just that - a scare. Congrats on the joint promotions and, like you I am looking forward to a nice vegging out holiday, ours comes at the end of August I think we are looking at Tuscany. Thank heavens we had no plans for Tunisia! How awful for those poor folk, although they are mostly as yet unnamed I believe most were Brits.
A lovely sunny day here and a rare saturday off.

Gilmer 06-27-2015 02:31 AM

Marcher, feel better soon!

DD, big congratulations on your promotion! If anybody on earth deserved it, you did!

I'm glad you and your girlfriend are still going strong. Will you guys be staying in the Philly area? Last I heard, you were seriously considering going to CA with her job.

Gilmer 06-27-2015 02:44 AM

The tour went very, very well yesterday. My dad was completely lucid yesterday. We went to the marketing director's office and talked about my dad's status and according prices. He will need a high level of care, but the add-on price was extremely reasonable. I was shocked!

My husband wants to know if there are any hidden nickel and dime costs, like charging the residents for toilet paper. He's highly suspicious after having watched "Better Call Saul!" :lmao

My dad took everything in and said, "There's a lot of different rooms here!" We saw a bunch of residents. Everybody who could respond was friendly.

When I gave the full report to my husband, we agreed to pay the deposit for the last remaining semi-private room. I arranged a date for my dad to have his official status assessment for the state, and I have an appointment next Wednesday to have his doctor check him out and fill out forms stating that medically it is appropriate to have him housed in a memory care facility.

On the way home, I asked my dad what he thought. He asked "What kind of place is that?" I said it's a place for people who can't be cared for at home any more. He was quiet for a minute; then he said very humbly and sincerely, "Whatever is most convenient for you." He said it again a few minutes later.

We were starving when we got out of there, so I went to an Arby's drive-thru. I got us each a #1 meal. My dad went wild for the curly fries! He kept asking, "What are these called?"

We were stuffed after chowing those down, so we saved the roast beef sandwiches for dinner.

We will be going away next weekend for the Independence Day holiday: he will be staying for four days in a (different) nursing home thanks to hospice. The nurse and I told him yesterday, and he seemed to understand that it would be a differnt place, and only for a few days.

Gilmer 06-27-2015 03:05 AM

During the height of seemingly superhuman stress of the last few days, I have craved a drink more than once to calm me down. I did reason my way out of it (the days would have been a complete train wreck if I had caved).

Just saying, even when you've got a long time sober, cravings can still hit. Beware!