SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2015 Part 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/362040-class-february-2015-part-3-a.html)

Dee74 03-19-2015 03:51 AM

Imagine us all there will you cos we will be, nymets :)

remember - every thought that a drink is ok is a lie; and noone ever woke up regretting they were sober :)

D

nymets86 03-19-2015 04:00 AM

Thanks dee! rationally, I know that is so true. I can't think of a single occasion where I woke up without a hangover. Working that backwards, I've never woken up wishing I'd had two beers the nigh before and had a nice buzz. I want to wake up refreshed tomorrow and ready to hit the gym. THAT I've never regretted.

Calicofish 03-19-2015 04:21 AM

Hello Friends.

Good job trees and nym.

I woke up with a heavy, heavy heart but at least no hangover. My eyes are all swollen. I guess that will take several hours to go down, as long as I don't start crying again.

I always find boredom to be my worst enemy here at my parents. At least at m own house I can find some project to do.

I thought about drinking last night, to dull the pain. I went to bed very early and ate lots of chips and chocolate.

nymets86 03-19-2015 05:33 AM

Calico, you made the right decision to not drink. good job

Trees39 03-19-2015 11:58 AM

Mets: we are right along side you. Enjoy the night, first 10 mins are the hardest. Stick to the plan, make a game out of it... Keep a stopwatch going. 2 hours is all you need to manage. In and out.

No booze.

nymets86 03-19-2015 02:51 PM

Well, lousy day with stupid office politics and stuff. Could feel myself getting a bit heated and no real desire to drink, but a desire to leave the party, so I just bounced. Gonna sit at home and watch the games this weekend.

nymets86 03-19-2015 03:07 PM

Didn't have a drop to drink. Had a few people ask, but wasn't hard to deal with that. I think the club soda stuck out a bit since it was in a much bigger glass than the mix drinks.

So, happy to be sober, but a bad day overall. Good and bad days are gonna happen and if they're all sober, that's progress.

tornrealization 03-19-2015 04:42 PM

Good job NYMets, you did it!

Calico- sometimes going to bed early is what I do to end an urge or just end a night that is brutal. In 2008 my husband continued to drink everynight while I stayed quit for many months. I just ran upstairs to bed - that's how I coped. Sleep is better than a hangover.

I'm on 21 days - 3 weeks. Yes! So worried about school and trip - just lots of stress with the whole thing. Just so busy - not worried about drinking. I don't like to drink in bars or with strangers. So not an issue. Have a sober roomie, so that is good too.

Have a sober Thursday night all!

ReadyOrNot123 03-19-2015 05:19 PM

Great job Mets! Calico, I hope you are feeling better.

I'm exhausted. But I have tomorrow off, and I'm pretty happy about that. My niece is coming to visit and I'm planning on spoiling her. I have no kids of my own, so the nephews and nieces are the bomb, in my eyes. We'll go shopping, get some dinner and hang out. I'm looking forward to it.

The weather here absolutely sucks. It's freezing and is supposed to snow tomorrow. I'm so over it. Other than that, things are fine. No urges to drink.

Calicofish 03-20-2015 03:31 AM

Good Morning. Yesterday was ok, certainly better than Wednesday. I did some retail therapy, which had better not become a new habit. Went for two walks with my remaining dog. She has been very neglected this past couple of months with me be so focused on the other. I think she's a bit depressed right now.

Some relatives stopped by my parents and had supper. Of course there was lots of booze flowing but I managed to keep to my club soda. The conversation was lively - I was tired. It was not late evening. I get really bored here and I have to stay one more evening to attend a function for my uncle.

The snow can't leave soon enough. I'm itching to get into my yard and clean it up and I'm just bloody tired of wearing heavy coats, boots, mitts, scarfs and scraping the frost off the windshield.

nymets86 03-20-2015 05:00 AM

Torn/ready/calico, great job staying sober.

Torn, travel can be stressful, I agree, but just think how much fun you'll have in Europe! If your flights gets delayed or cancelled, don't worry too much, you'll get there eventually.

Ready, seems like more snow headed toward the northeast, so If you hate snow, that's a bummer. Enjoy the time spent with your niece and I guess continue to laugh at the absurd winter that's happening in Boston. Spring will get here eventually.

Calico, I think dogs don't really feel depression the way humans do, so just continue to be nice to her going forward. Good job sticking to club soda.

Today is day 30 for me. I don't have any plans for the weekend so I'm feeling pretty lonely just thinking about that as I head off to work. I don't have any temptations right now, but a weekend like this would usually be a trigger. I'd be calling up my other single friends and convincing them to go to a bar to watch the NCAA tournament. I'm not going to do that, just going to be a bit weird watching all the games alone in my apartment.

While that may not be ideal, I know on Monday, I'd rather look back on a lonely weekend spent watching basketball, than a drunken/blacked out weekend spent at bars with a handful of friends where I may or may not remember what happened.

ReadyOrNot123 03-20-2015 06:04 AM

You WILL be happy on Monday Mets. If not happy, at the very least, not miserable, ashamed and filled with fear about what you did and who you would see. For me, the bored and lonely combo is a killer, so keep your mind occupied (the non-stop basketball games is a good thing for this) and try not to think about it. And BRAVO on 30 days!

Calico, family, while great, can be tough in big doses. I'm a big fan of retail therapy.

Torn, great job on 21 days!

I hope everyone is doing well and feeling good this first day of Spring. I am ignoring the frigid temps, gloomy skies and upcoming snow. It can't last for that much longer.

Soberwolf 03-20-2015 08:17 AM

Have a nice sober weekend guys

nymets86 03-20-2015 09:41 AM

I've decided to go visit my brother out of town. Nothing really planned, but it's better than sitting at home alone. Will be doing the same thing anyway (watching hoops), but with family.

Dee74 03-20-2015 02:15 PM

sounds like a plan nymets - have a good weekend all :)

D

nymets86 03-20-2015 07:13 PM

My plan worked and probably had the added benefit that I was on the train out of NYC when I got a text from some of my friends to get together and watch hoops.

Given I have nothing to do tomorrow, I think had I been at my apartment, I might have gone and drank. I don't really know what I would have done since I wasn't in that situation.

Either way, games are not nearly as exciting today as they were yesterday, but it's all good. And once again, I'm sober.

H2SO4 03-20-2015 08:21 PM

Things are improving with my ex-fiance and I. Picked her up after 3 hours of sleep this morning and went to the sonogram. Got some good news there since there have been some complications. Got some lunch together without the toddler around since he was at daycare. We had fun. Now I'm stuck at work, can't drink even if I wanted to!

Lots of chores in store for me this weekend. Have a good one everyone!

ReadyOrNot123 03-21-2015 04:14 AM

Hi all, still chugging along here, watching the snow fall for what I fervently hope is the last time this winter. I checked the extended weather and it looks like it might be sunny and mild next week. I'm going the optimistic route.

I'm having coffee and my niece is sleeping. We have a great day and literally shopped till we dropped, then had dinner with her grandfather, came home, watched some basketball (go Iowa!) and hit the hay early. She were (naturally) talking about her boyfriend and she said his parents are both alcoholics. One day they went looking for his father at his mother's request, and found him passed out in his car. The mother is more of a loud drunk. They fight with each other all the time about drinking. Poor kid is embarrassed that his parents act this way in front of others, he's obviously used to it. It was just so sad to hear. Kids are forced to grow up too early. Even knowing from a personal standpoint how hard it is to kick this, it's hard to hear stuff like that. Anyway, it helped with my resolve. My niece is a really good kid and I loved spending time with her. I also loved having the day off from work.

I hope everyone has a good, sober weekend.

nymets86 03-21-2015 04:35 AM

Ready, seems like a good day with your niece despite the problems in her household. Maybe you can serve as a role model of a sober adult for her.

I'm kicking off day 31 here and battling a cold. Quite honestly, don't really mind having the cold. I'll be watching the games at my brother's house tonight and a bunch of his friends and his fiancé's friends are coming over, so over already offered to DD (basically will act as a shuttle service since I dont have my own car, will just use my brothers car to pick up and drop off guests).

Very happy that I've gotten to Day 31 sober and feel no temptations to drink. I do keep fixating on the future and thinking it's going to be impossible to stay sober at all these weddings and bachelor parties I have coming up. For the time being though, just one day at a time. That's all I can do.

Dee74 03-21-2015 04:38 AM

There's no point in thinking about the future because you're not there yet.

I used to future trip like a madman - I spent so much time in next week next month or next years I wasn't particularly grounded in today.

You have 31 days down. The situations may change and some days may be more challenging than others...but all you guys are getting the basics down - no drinking - no matter what :)

D