SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2014 Part 15 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/355324-class-august-2014-part-15-a.html)

determined99 01-15-2015 02:42 AM

Glandon and ultra, great posts and great timing. AV has been making eye contact with me lately. Not going for it though.

Funny post scooter! I laughed with that one.

Pink, so sorry about your trip to the dentist. I freakin hate it too! Last time I had the drill I put on headphones and blasted punk music until it was over. If you were on the sauce you wouldn't even be going. Push on through this, we got ya girl!!! You will have a smile with a twinkle soon!

150 days officially in the rear view mirror today. Just set my GPS for a new destination, 365!!

Quote of the day;

"Most of the shadows in this life are caused by standing in ones own sunshine." Emerson.

Love.

determined99 01-15-2015 02:43 AM

London, gong rats on the final dental trip! Awesome dude. Has to feel good to smile at that guy in the mirror.

ScooterBoo 01-15-2015 04:40 AM

Good morning,

Just a quick post - on my way out the door.

I am happy that my post gave a good laugh - just imagine if you had been there when she announced these things, and you had had a few drinks! Last night we heard -in great detail - about her recent physical exam. I'll save that story for a time when we could all use a good laugh.

Ultra, if I recall correctly, the "spicy food" was ordered in when her company ordered lunch on Fridays. After the first episode, when others in her work area complained about the problem, she made a big deal of purposely ordering the spiciest food possible every Friday and had the same results every time. Her co-workers (in a large accounting firm) complained to her, then to HR. She was supposedly spoken to a few times and said she could eat whatever she wanted to.

I never saw the letter, but I assume they had the legal dept. write it or look it over. It goes along the lines of your personal rights stop where mine begin. It is almost like the smoking issue; more like the work area perfume/cologne one. You have the right to wear whatever perfume/cologne you like, but I have the right to clean air. I assume the letter mentioned that she had been spoken to several times and continued to order the same type food although she was well aware that her stomach distress was making an uncomfortable work place for her colleagues and that affected/disrupted the work. I think they probably wrote the letter to add to a paper trail they were establishing in case she fought her firing; this is a very well-known prestigious firm. In the end, they announced there was going to be a major lay-off, then a few months later laid her off, gave her six months pay and that was that. I don't think they ever "laid off" another person.

Have a great day everyone. I will post later.

Dee74 01-15-2015 02:42 PM

Congrats on the 150 Determined :)

D

Ultramarathoner 01-15-2015 06:38 PM

So my coffee maker (a recent Christmas gift) is sold and I've ordered a bunch of Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Tea on line. Kind of cool to choose something 'new' to give up!

Hope you're all doing well!

Grateful11 01-15-2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner (Post 5140567)
So my coffee maker (a recent Christmas gift) is sold and I've ordered a bunch of Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Tea on line. Kind of cool to choose something 'new' to give up!

Hope you're all doing well!

Yum! Check out "Art of Tea"...I just ordered some sample teas from their website and they are outstanding. I am really getting into the nuances of loose leaf teas.

I just realized that I have stopped drinking coffee due to being sick for seven weeks. I don't even miss it and notice my anxiety is almost non-existent!

determined99 01-16-2015 02:54 AM

Happy Friday!! 3 day weekend for me. Skipidy do da yeah baby!!

How about everyone putting on their spirit gear for a quick pep rally in the SR gymnasium! Stop in and holla!

Reflection Friday is as follows;

"There is nothing noble in being superior to anyone else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self." Whitney Young.

It's all good!

Smile today starting right now.

ScooterBoo 01-16-2015 04:37 AM

Good morning,

I had a terrible night - three phone calls from my brother; one lasting more than an hour. He was crying, just sobbing. The wife told him he should be her hero, screamed at him because they were almost out of milk and told him he was unreliable. He had to have a tooth pulled yesterday and is having an implant done. She (of the $600 boots) told him he was irresponsible and that would not have happened if he had taken better care of his teeth. And, when he told her he was depressed, she threw his horrible bout of depression, from before they knew each other, in his face. Last night he was driving around and did not want to go home. I could tell he had had a few drinks, and I asked him, and he said he was drinking a six pack. I told him to go home and check his kids' homework and tell her he was sore and tired from the tooth and go to bed. He told me the 9-year-old asked the wife why she always picks fights with Dad.

The phone calls started around 6:00, before I turn my phones off. Needless to say, I did not sleep much. I am a shaky, depressed mess right now, just waiting for the phone to ring. I had a number of trips to the bathroom during the night. Again, he does not want me to tell anyone else in the family, he does not want to come for a visit, he does not want me to come down. I am very worried about him, but I do not know what to do, which makes everything much worse.

Today is my official 5 month mark, and I feel nothing but dread - from head to stomach.

Please send thoughts and prayers for me and my brother and his family. I think the time has come for him to move out, but he does not want to.

Ultramarathoner 01-16-2015 08:32 AM

So sorry Scooter! It's so difficult when things our out of our control- especially when one is regaining a significant measure of control in one's own life.

Congratulations on 5 Months "controlling the controlables".

Ultramarathoner 01-16-2015 09:07 AM

So I was a bit shaken after a networking meeting this morning.

A former coworker of mine was let go 15 months ago for basically- not working. At all. Classic self sabotage. He did everything but beg to be fired. His reputation was destroyed. He was rumored to have addition issues (and has a wife and two you young kids).

He is just beginning to search for a new position in the industry. I met him today at a coffee shop (tea for me!). His eyes were glazed and he was chewing gum. He looked "functioning" but not "present".

I don't know him well enough to address the situation- and the evidence of his "deamons" is anecdotal. But I am pretty confident he was drunk and/or high.

It pained me to see someone my age, with kids my age, wash out of an industry relatively difficult to break into. And then (after 15 months unemployed) try to fight and uphill battle back into the industry without addressing his issues.

We often talk about our changes and the positives of being alcohol free. I guess this gave me a reminder of what could have been had I not chosen to make some changes.

doingsomething 01-16-2015 11:59 AM

Hi all. Doing a little AV battle as I approach the 5 month mark (Sun). Kind of a combination of trying to find my new work groove and realizing it's going to take some time, patience, agility, discomfort - and a financial setback selling my house. I suppose things have been a little too smooth so it was time for some rough seas. Starting to have those thoughts of "being sober sucks".

But that's just the AV trying to take advantage. I know that. Rough seas are no time to be hammered at the wheel. This feeling will pass. Feels good to post already. Thanks for being there team A.

sthlondonab 01-16-2015 01:53 PM

Hey all

A very quick check in. Been in the dental chair all day, work is finished now, I love the results. Having ibuprofen and sleeping whilst I recover.

I am soooo tired and a little bit of pain so straight off to sleep at a decent hour now.

Scooter - I am thinking of you and your brother. Stay strong.

Night all - I will post something better tomorrow!

determined99 01-16-2015 06:08 PM

Doingsomething, I am feeling it too. Playing the tape and reading early posts. Remembering that I don't have to go back to that place. The looking forward to drinking was always the highlight. It went downhill quickly from there.

It does not fix boredom and it is not your friend. It is only happy when you are miserable. It wants to take your smile. It wants to take your pride. It wants to take the respect of your family. It wants you to lose everything. Tell it where to go.

Pink, where you at kid? Send a shout to let us know you are okay.

Stay strong team, keep your guard up. I think we are all on high alert for a little while until we get past this hump.

If you do get a visit from that liar and life destroying coward, push him to the wall and show him how fragile he really is.

Check in team.

Love.

Choobie 01-16-2015 06:30 PM

Great job, doingsomething, keeping on course. High and lows are all part of our ascent upwards!

Prayers, thoughts, hopes for your brother and comfort to you and your brother, Scooter. I bet he's thankful to have you as a sister! Well done on five months!

Ultra and Grateful-i'm on the tea bandwagon, too. I drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning and switch to tea for the day. Still not up on my tea appreciation, though. I went to a fine tea house a bit ago, and I ordered a darjeeling. The owner told me he'd give me his first flush, and I couldn't help but giggle. He can keep what he flushes-I'lol just have tea, please!

It's amazing to think that our progress could even be maintaining homeostasis, now. Wè were just falling and falling farther back, struggling just to maintain. I'm glad I got out of my own way. Actually, I can see how I still trip over myself in lots of ways and still trying to adjust to the idea of success in any facet of my life. Determine's word of the day-abundance- has been my reminder that sometimes known failure feels easier that unknown gain. Helps me call out Ms. AV.

Dee74 01-16-2015 06:32 PM

I'm sorry for your brother scooter and for the upset it causes you. I am very glad you've reached five months tho - congratulations :)

I'm really looking forward t the other 5 month milestones too - stay strong doingsomething :)

I'm sorry for your work colleague too UM...I hope maybe this maybe the wake up call he needs?

I hope we hear from Pink and a few other MIAs this weekend :)

D

Choobie 01-16-2015 06:33 PM

:grinattk::grinattk::boogy:grinattk::grinattk: <--(This is an SR rendition of punk mosh)
150 for determined!! Wooooooohoooooo! Yeah!

rah555 01-16-2015 06:45 PM

Day 76! I slip/111 days!

sthlondonab 01-16-2015 10:57 PM

Hey all

That's better - had a nice sleep and the discomfort seems to be low today. You know, most of the work was painless - it was the bleaching that really hurt for a few hours afterwards. Owwww.

Determined - I am sorry I missed your 150 post. Congratulations to you!!

I am looking forward to seeing the 5 months clock up for us all.

Rah 111 is ace - you are doing really great. How is the going out stuff with OH? Hope you are doing good.

Today I am heading back to London. I want to get a long walk in the fresh air this morning as I don't leave until lunchtime. I will also get my backside to AA tonight as I am missing my regular Saturday group this morning being away.

I am also off the real cigarettes and on an e-cigarette. It would be foolish to wreck the bleaching in the next couple of days with cig tar whilst the the teeth have no protective surface. That would be money up in smoke!

Now, I wonder if I can just keep going with an e-cig whilst I work out a nicotine reduction plan? Let's see, I am back to baby steps as AV has been around this week a lot!

Ultra - that story sounds familiar to me. I also see that a lot in my line of work where many many deals revolve around long lunches and alcohol. I am so grateful I caught it before I became the guy you wrote about too. I was so close to losing my career.

Grateful - I switched to decaf and it really helped me too. Good for you!

Choobie I loved your post about maintaining and also the SR punk mosh picture!

Scooter - I hope you managed some sleep and some peace from worry. Stay strong and rested for you first. I am sure you will be able to find the strength to be there for your family.

Pink - give us a check in!

Wishing everyone a safe and sober Saturday.

determined99 01-17-2015 03:48 AM

Choobie, that just freakin rocked! Made me smile! Glad to hear such awesome things are happening london, now go strut that smile at the world my friend! And thanks and welcome back Dee!

Today's thought is on struggle; for scooter and this super shiny fantastic team of happy hipsters

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways and truer, more positive answers." Scott peck.

If you are not posting, I know you are reading. Pause and find that inner spark of courage and strength. That 3AM fire in your heart that instinctively propels you to the light. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You have strength here, just keep floating with us, it's okay to drift a little bit but just stay in your raft and let the current take you with us in the same direction. To freedom.

Love.

ScooterBoo 01-17-2015 04:01 AM

Good morning,

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. I was an emotional mess, actually physically jittery all day yesterday - which included six horrible phone calls. I know there is nothing I can do but listen to my brother and try to get him to tell other family members. Last night I decided I am NOT going to let this continue to ruin my happy feelings about myself and my sobriety. I am going to do something fun every single day, and I am going to continue to turn my phones off at night so I can get some sleep. I managed seven interrupted hours last night! And, I only woke because Mr. Boomerang decided it was time for me to get up. I think both he and Scooter sense that I am upset; they are both sticking close. I know I should not be this worried, actually devastated, about my brother's situation. It is because of his horrible bout of depression when he was in college. And, I worry about the three kids.

Determined, Congrats on the 150!

DoingSomething and Determined, you both show that you know exactly how to deal with the AV.

Ultra and Grateful, I need to switch to tea or maybe decaf. I have gone from drinking two cups of coffee in the morning to those plus coffee in the afternoon and at night.

London, the new dental work sounds like the best incentive to quit smoking.

Pink, where are you? how are you?

Chris, it would be great to hear from you. And, for that matter, everyone else on the team.

Take care, everyone. And please keep those thoughts and prayers coming. Thank you for being here for me.