SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of August 2014 Part 11 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/348847-class-august-2014-part-11-a.html)

penkins 10-28-2014 06:23 AM

Good morning friends!

calichris 10-28-2014 06:34 AM

Good morning A-Team. Dark and very cool this morning. Didn't want to get out of bed, but feeling good today. Tired, but nothing my black tea latte won't fix.
I love this time of year: cold in the monrning and warm during the day. What a great combination.

Special shout out to anyone struggling right now. You CAN do this!! We are all here for you 24/7 just keep using our support whenever the need arises.

A few of you staring new jobs (Cute, TxAlchy, etc.). Best of luck to you on your new endeavors! They are so much easier dealt with sober that's for certain.

..and all those hitting new milestones whether it's 5 days or 95 days, congratulations!!!! One day at at time we get further from that past life of poisoning our lives.

Love you all. Warm hugs from Northern California. -Chris

bblackbirdflyy 10-28-2014 06:54 AM

I've got my job interview at the hospital today! I'll let you all know how it goes!

Pink, its not as hard as you might think. Over-Drinking in the bar wasn't really my problem. Over-Drinking at home alone was.

Applekat - Welcome back!

GoodMorning Everybody else!

25 days today I'm halfway back.

doingsomething 10-28-2014 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by rah555 (Post 4979702)
Day 29! Still doing well with not drinking! I'm feeling good about that. I've become keenly aware of how I am feeling physically and emotionally. I think drinking was masking a lot of things for me. Physically I'm learning that I am generally a very tired person. Maybe it's age, I don't know. Emotionally, I think I used to drinking to cope. Now that the alcohol is gone things are clear. I'm left with stuff, unconfortable feelings, etc.

Rah I can totally relate to that. When I was knocking back copious amounts of hootch, I use to joke to my friends that they could never possibly hurt my feelings because I didn't have any! I took pride in that self-image. And I sort of believed it.

Being sober I too am keenly (great word btw) aware of my physical and emotional feelings. Just noticing them is a new experience. But I'm also amazed at how quickly they can change. Sometimes I think "wow, I'm feeling like a million bucks - I must really be a happy guy at heart" and an hour or two later I'm thinking "felling pretty blah right now". Or sometimes "huh I feel weird - can't explain, just weird". My take away at this point is - it's good to feel feelings. It's interesting and new if nothing else. And the whole thing about them changing on a dime reassures me that - if I'm down, I'll be up soon enough. And if I'm up, I try to enjoy it for the moment and relax when the high goes away for a while. It's just really nice to be present.

CuteNGayYay 10-28-2014 06:59 AM

Good luck bb! Thanks Chris I can't even imagine going to work hungover like I used to all the time.. I don't know how I even managed. Everyone have a fantastic Tuesday.. Almost at the hump!

calichris 10-28-2014 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy (Post 4980758)
I've got my job interview at the hospital today! I'll let you all know how it goes!

25 days today I'm halfway back.

Best of luck BB let us know!
..and congrats on 25 days woo-hoo!!!! :c011: :You_Rock_

sthlondonab 10-28-2014 09:18 AM

Good luck BBF!

Pink, great to see you check in. I am hoping you are now on the mend. You reminded me I must get my flu jan at Boots this week.

The beauty of a 6am start is that I get to leave work a little early, so just waiting for the train and I thought I would drop an afternoon check in up on the board.

TXAlchy2 10-28-2014 09:52 AM

Good words, doingsomething. Thanks for that.

Good luck bbf!!

CristinaN 10-28-2014 10:37 AM

Hi everyone. Just checking in. have a great afternoon

Stubbs16 10-28-2014 10:41 AM

Good luck bbf!
Pink, glad you are feeling better.
Txa, glad to know the job is going well.
Cute, you as well. Glad you posted! Missed ya!
Sthlndn, you get those scary movies yet?
Calichris, you are sooo lucky to live in Ca. Wish I did!
Rah, and doinsmthng, I have hid my emotions behind the bottle for so many years. Its scary to face them normally, but it must be done to overcome. Tricky, and hard, but will be worth it.
Penkins, good to see ya!
Rainy dreary day here, making some chili for dinner. Hope everyone is doing well today. To all team A, have a good day!

Stubbs16 10-28-2014 10:44 AM

@Cristina, hope you are doing better, and your day is brighter.

Applekat 10-28-2014 10:55 AM

Day 1s are so hard. I'm so happy I'm going to do this again.
But worried I won't find the push like I had before. I can't believe I had made it to 60 days. And so mad that I let myself fall off. :(

calichris 10-28-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Applekat (Post 4981198)
Day 1s are so hard. I'm so happy I'm going to do this again.
But worried I won't find the push like I had before. I can't believe I had made it to 60 days. And so mad that I let myself fall off. :(

Apple, we are behind you 100%

Stubbs16 10-28-2014 11:31 AM

Applekat, I know you can! Day ones are hard I agree. Pretty soon those days will add up again . I get the let down feeling though. I'm always sorry when I have to start over. But, grateful that I still want to.
So glad you are back.

bblackbirdflyy 10-28-2014 12:03 PM

That feeling does suck Kat. :( There's a day worse than 1 though (zero).

Be glad that you keep trying and that your 1 week wasn't several months. (((hugs)))

bblackbirdflyy 10-28-2014 12:12 PM

Thanks for the well wishes all. I feel that the interview went really well. I should know something by the end of the week. Goodbye pub! I hope :) The position really is very cool, monitoring several screens of patient ekg's from a centralized location in telemetry at the very top floor of the hospital.

they could never possibly hurt my feelings because I didn't have any
DS - ha ha, my boyfriend has that attitude. I'm sure that he does though, deep down inside. Getting through the bad feelings is tough for me, but I'm learning how to cope with them without alcohol. I definitely agree... it is nice to be present.

sthlondonab 10-28-2014 02:30 PM

Thread is flying today.

I am glad your interview went good BBF. Fingers and toes crossed for you :-)

Max, I decided to go with Netflix for the weekend so I can choose on the night, depends how brave I feel.

Apple. Keep posting and that will give you a big push. It's great to see you back, I missed your East Coast posts at UK lunchtime.

So today I was thinking 'what if AV had to take a lie detector test'? I have this image of my AV as a cartoon character nowadays, hard to describe (maybe I will draw him one day and attach) but he's a grumpy little thing who stamps his feet a lot and generally acts like a brat from time to time. Makes the AV far less scary and everyone knows not to give a spoiled kid more attention.

I was sniggering imagining him sitting in a chair in fear at taking a lie detector test. Lol. FAIL. I don't think mine has EVER ever spoken the truth. Passed the train journey anyway!!

So everyone maybe make your AV take the test when it catches you unawares :-)

calichris 10-28-2014 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by sthlondonab (Post 4981644)
Thread is flying today.

I am glad your interview went good BBF. Fingers and toes crossed for you :-)

Max, I decided to go with Netflix for the weekend so I can choose on the night, depends how brave I feel.

Apple. Keep posting and that will give you a big push. It's great to see you back, I missed your East Coast posts at UK lunchtime.

So today I was thinking 'what if AV had to take a lie detector test'? I have this image of my AV as a cartoon character nowadays, hard to describe (maybe I will draw him one day and attach) but he's a grumpy little thing who stamps his feet a lot and generally acts like a brat from time to time. Makes the AV far less scary and everyone knows not to give a spoiled kid more attention.

I was sniggering imagining him sitting in a chair in fear at taking a lie detector test. Lol. FAIL. I don't think mine has EVER ever spoken the truth. Passed the train journey anyway!!

So everyone maybe make your AV take the test when it catches you unawares :-)

Good imagery on the AV London thanks!

determined99 10-28-2014 03:07 PM

Bbf, that is awesome! I have a good feeling..

London, love the cartoon visual! I will use that one!!

Catch up later, just a quick shout out by phone right now.

Stubbs16 10-28-2014 03:32 PM

Love it Sthlndn! Can't wait to see what your AV looks like. I imagine mine more scary like a devilish imp ugly looking thing. Good choice too on the Netflix idea.
Bbfly, glad the interview went well. Hoping you get it!
Hope everyone is doing well. Closing down on day 5 here. Wheee!!!

:kickbutt