SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year and Over Club Part 19 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/345521-one-year-over-club-part-19-a.html)

stevie88 09-22-2014 04:42 PM

Many congrats on 4 years itchy....Fantastic milestone...

Matthew I have also been away for a while....Glad to see you back.

Hope everyone is well.

Take care.....Steve.

Itchy 09-22-2014 08:53 PM

Hey!
I could not log in at all today. I could read but on my first try to log in it would tell me it was wrong password or user name and I had exhausted my number of attempts and would have to try back later. I changed to my tablet and can log in now???

Thanks Keneda!

Carlos,
You have no idea how worried I was when you disappeared once then came back and then left. I fondly remember our silliness too. I remember you were right behind me in October? November 2010? The difference between most of the others, and you, was you refused to stay down. If I were foolish enough to drink, I doubt I could have clawed my way back here, never mind once, but twice!
:c033:
YW, and thanks so much for saying so!

Matthew, good to see ya.

NS,
Thanks!
Sorry it didn't turn out as you wanted. From the numbers, while it wasn't too close it showed how many wanted the other.

Stevie thanks to you too!

Now I am officially in my fifth year of being free. I am serene enough to miss it when it slips away, only because
I let go for a second. Then I get a grip.

Itchy 09-22-2014 09:17 PM

Andy thanks a bunch.

Mags,
The feeling is mutual.

Instant, did everything come out all right? That always sets my teeth on edge. Bada-Boom!

Treerat66 09-22-2014 11:13 PM

Good morning Overs.

It's great to hear from returning long term soberists.

Treerat66 09-22-2014 11:34 PM

Sorry double post.

feeling-good 09-23-2014 07:25 AM

Itchy - congrats on FOUR years - that's fantastic!! I have also had a lot of problem logging in and have now, eventually (lol!) changed my password after 5 or 6 attempts :headbange

Toots / Drake - yup, yup as a born and bred Fifer (10 mouths south of Kirkcaldy in the Ancient Capital), I can vouch for everything said about Fifers - hahahahahahha!

FB - hmmm, I just try and not comment on very much at all on there - best to keep a quiet life as far as I am concerned.

It is *so* good to be back on here and read all your posts :D

DG0409 09-23-2014 07:44 AM

WWG- Good to see you! Way to go on the half marathon. It's nice to hear things are going well for you.

NS- The party and treasure hunt sounds like a blast.

Instant- Enjoy the dentist! Seriously though, you'll feel good about it once it's over.

stevie88 09-23-2014 11:48 AM

Night off work for me tonight so when I got off night shift this morning I slept for 4 hours and then got up...I had to go pick my wages up from the office in town and also took my 2 year old daughter with me....Once that was done I decided to kill some time before picking up the other rugrats from school by hitting Mcdonalds for a cheeky 1000 calories lol...

Picked kids up from school , walked the dog for an hour and then went boxing training for and hour an half , training consisted of some bag work , pad work and also some sparring and I really was put through my paces.

Back home to a huge dinner of chicken and pasta and all washed down with a protein shake , roughly around another 1500 calories will probably get another 1000 calories later with the addition of another protein shake and ice cream lol....I'm trying to keep a check on my calories as I'm still bulking towards a goal weight which I'm trying to hit by Christmas.

The rest of my night will consist of reading here as I've had a few cravings the last few days , and also watching a couple of boxing documentrys that I've found online..

I hope everyone else is well..

Take care all....Steve.

Dee74 09-23-2014 04:41 PM

Congratulations on 4 years Itchy. Well done :)

Good to see you back Matthew :)

Hope everyone else is doing fine :)

D

dorothyparker 09-23-2014 08:35 PM

Hey Steve, good to read you here. When the cravings get tough, it's best to hang out here. :)
I've learned to do that and I never regret it.
;)

Itchy 09-23-2014 09:44 PM

FG,
Thanks! Don't feel alone. I could not log in for hours and got the exceeded the allowance to enter the correct user name or password. I switched computers to a tablet and it logged on fine. Go figure. But whenever I try to check posts by another from clicking on their name, it has said I can only do one search and must wait 15 seconds on the first try?

I have never been a Facebook member, won't do Google plus, am not interested in twitter, and want no Google products like Earth or Picasa spying on my computer let alone reading Google mails by machine, and listening in to Google voice. That is spelled out in the EULA!

When a college frat program designed to appeal to popularity conscious College kids i wasn't going to join to be liked? Liked? By strangers? Validate moi by number of strangers I pretend are friends? Nope. I graduated college long ago. Keep in touch with friends and family? Email, calls, texts, and I have not a blog, not a Facebook page but my own real website that is approaching a half million hits.

Besides, FB people are told, as are Google users, that they just collect statistics nothing personally identifiable so they can tailor ads to ones YOU would prefer and web suggestions you want to see for a better experience??

I don't think I have a lot in common with folks that believe that and never connect the dots that, DUH? If they don't personally identify you, how can they collect your data and serve it to you without knowing who you are?????

I don't like Apple or Android tablets that are so limited, kindles with good Internet browsers and mail. I have Windows tablets (3) which run all the same programs as my computer does that I load up from DVDs or download like Photoshop, etc. And no Google spying like Android, and SD card slots and a real OS which Apple does not have on their tablets. I finally got a Windows phone, so the last Android/Google spy device is disconnected and inert. Microsoft does not spy and offers fill opt outs, and local accounts if we choose.

Rant over. I detest social media. Topic help forums with good moderation, yes, I like these. But the world can see my pics over on my website, read my travel tales from the road, and email me directly from the website. I built it, pay for it, and can change it anyway I'd like. It is not done to get likes, nor to impress just to pass along RV self help articles and my writing with my warped sense of humor. No walls or premade format. No public feedback unless they take the time to email. With a real email address or I delete.
Did I mention I'm somewhat put off by the cavalier privacy intrusions bartered for a few bucks worth of free programs? Y'all need to try Bing search if you haven't in a while. It beats Google by a country mile. No Google search on any of my systems.
Ask me what I really think about FB, Google, and twitter.
Don't take offense. Its all good for me if others like it. But someone invariably tries to explain to me why I should try it.
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/jack_lol.gif

FG, I don't even belong, no low profile there, no profile at all.

Stevie,
I get tired just hearing you talk about all that eating. My jaws are tired just thinking about it!
:c033:

My day was great! Sold our old Queen mattress and box spring that was cluttering up the smaller of the two steel buildings here. I am divesting most of the stuff I haven't used in a year or more. Lots of electronics, computer stuff, high end audio etc. I sold all my Bose DJ gear three years ago before it became antique. And am working on detailing my new to me 2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel truck while waiting for the title to come in to register and insure it in this state. Then the Ranger gets sold, nice as it is in looks and drivability, it just can't tow what I want. I am getting another fifth wheel as soon as I sell the Ranger. Then maybe take off and travel again, or just weekends. I just don't like the expense, and unsanitary conditions with the current public bedbug epidemic in the US. I like bringing my own toilet, bed, and closets with me. And the pups can come explore exciting new places with us too. No kennel needed.

Dee,
Thanks bud! You getting back into some jams with ol buds in the city, or new ones?

Pray for peace folks. And pray for the displaced families with children that are neither terrorists nor combatants, and are facing genocide for just trying to live and let live.

Remember, the world and life doesn't get better just because we're sober. We get better at living it.

Dee74 09-23-2014 09:52 PM

The issues are all from the site's end guys..everyone's been getting the same message, regardless of how many times they've signed in.

The latest news is hopefully a fix will be up and running tomorrow - office hours I guess? :)

D

Treerat66 09-23-2014 11:39 PM

Good morning Overs.

Itchy - great post.

Itchy 09-23-2014 11:46 PM

Goodnight Andy, thanks.

InParticular 09-24-2014 12:11 AM

One week till I move into my new apartment! You can't imagine how excited I am. It's going to be a fun creative time, I think. And I'm planning to go back to Canada in February when the lease runs out. But we'll see. We have the option to stay longer if we want to, so maybe by then it will be a different story. I don't think so though, because the reason I'm going back then is to start networking and fundraising for the magazine on my home turf. That's not going to change.

Itchy--I completely agree with your social media views. I was off Facebook for months this year and it was awesome, didn't miss it for a single moment. Unfortunately trying to make a go of it in media means I kind of have to take part. If I was retired like you and lived way out on a farm somewhere, believe me I would also be completely disconnected and I think a lot of other people would be too. But right now I just have to be. It makes me sad on one part because it really does creep me out, but the reality is that's where everyone is putting most of their attention right now. Sadly enough. That being said I'm off to work on my new website. :)

feeling-good 09-24-2014 02:19 AM

Itchy - thanks for your post - a lot of thought provoking ideas there. :)

FBL 09-24-2014 03:34 AM

Itch, I'm with ya on the whole FB deal. In fact, I have no internet (only access is at work), cable or even a cell phone! If someone wants to get in touch they can send me an e-mail, call my land line or write me a letter:)

Rusty Zipper 09-24-2014 03:53 AM

wow, getting sober was easier then getting on SR past two days! lol

IWLSAST 09-24-2014 05:05 AM

Morning Overs,

FB, hum, I think facebook can be what you make of it. Most things in moderation can be okay. There are days that I might not even log on to that site. I'm certain I missed nothing of great importance.

Then again, there was yesterday. I saw that my good friend and AA mentor during my time in St Thomas last winter celebrated 11 years. I got to see him in pic, congratulate him, and reconnect with many from the island fellowship as they posted pics of the party...priceless

Two weekends ago I was able to enjoy the pictures from a wedding of two other close friends I made last winter that were part of a completely separate social group that I miss from ST...the crossfit gang. Again, priceless...

Neither of those two events caused me to dive into any detail about what some old hs person I knew was planning for dinner. However, in a way, I do find that more enjoyable than the devastation that our bombing Syria, yet another country, is causing so many, to quote Itchy, "displaced families with children that are neither terrorists nor combatants, and are facing genocide for just trying to live and let live."

Okay, my fb/sick and tired of war rant is over. Like Itch Man said...I will pray for peace.

Other than that, I look forward to a day of to do list cross outs. A few of which have been put offs, so I hope I garner some level of satisfaction. Locally, I chair a Tuesday night AA mtg. It is open discussion format and we talked about the joy of long term sobriety. At but 16 months, I am but a pup in that room. I probably had 10 new thoughts that struck me...however, I offer this one that stuck out... A twelve year vet said, "this is better than a million bucks." Simple, but for me, so true. Last week, same guy on sharing about humility said that just the ability to come to a meeting and be among others here in itself was humbling. Until he said that, I was for sure taking meetings for granted. No more. Same applies here on SR, what a gift this site is!

Enjoy the day.

Carlos

Grace2 09-24-2014 05:20 AM

Hello to you all my lovely Overs.

I know it's been several months since I last checked in here so I thought it was about time I popped in to check up on you all.

I'm sorry to have been away so long, it wasn't intended, life is a bit manic to say the least at the moment. but I'm okay and I'm still sober, just over two years now.

My dear dad is probably in the final stages of Dementia now I think. He has completely lost his mobility, he can't even turn over in bed and is incontinent and though he can speak, he is just talking gibberish. I've done things this last week that I never thought I'd been doing for my dad like changing his nappy and washing him. He'd be mortified if he knew, thank goodness he doesn't, that's my consolation and the fact that he is not in pain.

My errant son has also given me lots of grief. He has done something incredibly stupid which may result in him getting a prison sentence, but that's another story and not a good one.

Anyway, I have been isolating too much and that isn't a good thing for people like us, so I've given myself a good talking to and a kick up the backside and though I may not be able to check in every day, I'll pop in when I can.

Much love to you all. I've missed you.

Gxxxxx

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a life