SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2014 Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/332430-class-may-2014-part-2-a.html)

cometk 05-20-2014 07:40 PM

I got to day 12 last Friday and gave into craving for taste of beer. I didn't get drunk, but I failed to call someone or log into SR or just go to bed and drank beer. I had trouble admitting I was starting over and hurt one of my biggest supporters. I'm back to day 4 part 2 and feel good physically. Hope I can earn back trust from the people I love.

Found a new AA group today that I like better than the one I had been going to. I will be going back to this group. I need to find a sponsor. Any suggestions on a good way to pick a sponsor are appreciated.

One day at a time.

CK

happyandfree 05-20-2014 07:50 PM

Mint ice cream sandwich for me tonight-it works!

ReadytoBeme79 05-20-2014 08:56 PM

Had a terrible, awful, no good, very bad day. Didn't drink (darn sure thought about it though). I'll take what I can get.

Dee74 05-20-2014 09:41 PM

welcome back cometk :)
sorry for your bad day ReadytoBeme79 - hope tomorrow is better :)

D

GwenCummings 05-21-2014 12:59 AM

Hey cometk. Everyone has been there. We all understand. :grouphug:

GwenCummings 05-21-2014 01:01 AM

I am feeling pretty good. My brother is trying to get me to agree to a family holiday in July and am workubg up the energy to tell him I can't face those things drunk let alone sober. ;-)

Mentium 05-21-2014 01:16 AM

Ten days today! W00t! I feel pretty good on the whole too! No desire to drink - not remotely thank goodness as I feel I have had enough of the roller coaster. I want off!

My dad is still in hospital and they have extended his stay - some worrying signs it seems. Could do without that as a worry in the background, but then that issue not about me!

All the best to my fellow classmates!

Needinghelp82 05-21-2014 02:27 AM

Day six here. Feeling ok, more energy than I have had in a long time.

Cahabr 05-21-2014 04:02 AM

Day 11. I'm happy to report this has been much easier than I ever thought it would be thanks to the support here at SR. Visiting this forum often has helped me remember why I choose not to drink.

phoebe64 05-21-2014 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by anewpage (Post 4663360)
I've been in the worst mood all day. Day 3 is always rough like this. Roll on bedtime so I can get to Day 4!

It was a new day 3 for me too yesterday and my daughter asked me, "Are you in a bad mood?" I was ranting at the kids for not following some house rules, and feeling so annoyed. It was maybe out fo proportion to the offenses. ;)

So tired today. Having a very busy week with appointments, volunteer jobs at school, making food for a school event, sports schedules, etc... It keeps me on track to be busy, though.

kellbell123 05-21-2014 04:30 AM

Day 1 again for me. I went to a baseball game with co-workers yesterday. The free beer was too hard to pass up I guess. Although looking back I would have had the same amount of fun without the beer. All it did was give me a horrible night sleep and an upset husband. If he would have been with me he would have helped me to see that I didn't need beer. I guess my disease decided to take advantage of not having anyone around to hold me accountable. And apparently I decided to not hold myself accountable.
It's depressing but I am determined to not let it break me down. I'm back on the sober wagon. I am still planning a lovely sober weekend camping and enjoying my kids.
What I learned is that I need to stay away from triggering events for a while until I'm stronger. I was hoping I didn't have to do that because I think boredom can also be a trigger. I just need to stay busy doing things that don't trigger me to drink.

Dee74 05-21-2014 05:14 AM

There's so much you can do that needn't involve alcohol or drinkers kellbell - it just needs a little thinking outside the box?

D

Breadfin 05-21-2014 05:44 AM

Hello All, My first post here on SR. I've been lurking for a few days, but had to get on board. The support you offer each other is incredible.

My story (short version): Been drinking daily for 20 years. Over the past couple years I turned to the hard stuff to get my fix quicker. Over the past 6 months my family started to notice. My wife took my daughter and left me last month over it. I cut down and swore I would never touch the hard stuff again and 10 days later she came back. Guess what happened! After a couple weeks I returned to my old habits. Last Saturday night my wife discovered that I was back on the hard stuff, and after a brief altercation, she left again. I was not and have not ever been physically abusive, but this time my attitude scared her and so now she and my daughter or gone again. I was and still am devastated. I decided that I cannot handle alcohol any longer. I decided on Saturday night that I was done with alcohol and so now I welcome day 4 of sobriety. Last night was my first AA meeting. All went well. My wife and I are in communication, but I know I have a long way to go before earning her trust back. I think it will take time, but sobering up AND having my family MIA while I sober up is really rough. I wish that they could be here for me since they would be a great motivator during the times I am feeling weak. I guess I just need to take it one day at a time and eventually they will se my sincerity and return, but if any of you have advice on how to get that trust back sooner I would appreciate your input.

Breadfin

Samsonsworld 05-21-2014 05:48 AM

Day 8! Made it through the first week. Now, it gets a little harder. I have a trip to San Antonio today and won't have the wife watching over my actions. It's times like this that I would usually buy a 6 pack for the road. I'm also staying on the riverwalk, which is full of temptations. I will be fighting the urge by myself for the next two days and time always seems to drag when I start to battle my demons, especially on the road or sitting in a hotel room. Please pray for me. I'll need the strength.

Samsonsworld 05-21-2014 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kallistia (Post 4663673)
I've discovered apparently I have chronic back spasms on the right hand side.

I recognized them before every now and then but never focused much on them.

Apparently they are pretty painful. I'm not enjoying this at all.

I have some herniated discs that cause spasms in my lower back, bad enough a few times I couldn't stand up. Fish Oil helps with inflamation and potassium helps keep the muscles from locking up. Seems to help some.

Of course a handfull of muscle relaxers and a 6 pack works better but.....

TheBigC 05-21-2014 05:57 AM

Day 6 -- didn't sleep to good

Kallistia 05-21-2014 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Samsonsworld (Post 4664460)
I have some herniated discs that cause spasms in my lower back, bad enough a few times I couldn't stand up. Fish Oil helps with inflamation and potassium helps keep the muscles from locking up. Seems to help some.

Of course a handfull of muscle relaxers and a 6 pack works better but.....

Hush yo mouf! lol

I recall going to the doctor about it a couple of years ago when it was just a twinge and according to them it didn't exist (so I didn't go back of course) I didn't realize how bad it has become! I'm hoping it's something that will resolve itself, thank you for the advice on the fish oil and potassium, I'll havge to get some on my way home (now that I suddenly have all this extra money out of the blue...)

Also...instead of calling this day 3 again I'm choosing it to call it day seven? Six days sober, one day not...I'm still going to call it progress! :D

anewpage 05-21-2014 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Breadfin (Post 4664441)
Hello All, My first post here on SR. I've been lurking for a few days, but had to get on board. The support you offer each other is incredible.

My story (short version): Been drinking daily for 20 years. Over the past couple years I turned to the hard stuff to get my fix quicker. Over the past 6 months my family started to notice. My wife took my daughter and left me last month over it. I cut down and swore I would never touch the hard stuff again and 10 days later she came back. Guess what happened! After a couple weeks I returned to my old habits. Last Saturday night my wife discovered that I was back on the hard stuff, and after a brief altercation, she left again. I was not and have not ever been physically abusive, but this time my attitude scared her and so now she and my daughter or gone again. I was and still am devastated. I decided that I cannot handle alcohol any longer. I decided on Saturday night that I was done with alcohol and so now I welcome day 4 of sobriety. Last night was my first AA meeting. All went well. My wife and I are in communication, but I know I have a long way to go before earning her trust back. I think it will take time, but sobering up AND having my family MIA while I sober up is really rough. I wish that they could be here for me since they would be a great motivator during the times I am feeling weak. I guess I just need to take it one day at a time and eventually they will se my sincerity and return, but if any of you have advice on how to get that trust back sooner I would appreciate your input.

Breadfin

welcome Breadfin, and sorry to hear things are rough for you right now. It's great that you went to the AA meeting.. keep going to those, and stick around here for support.
As for your wife, I guess the only thing you can do to gain that trust back is to show her you're sober and intend to remain that way. And then really do it. It'll take some time. Good luck :)

anewpage 05-21-2014 06:08 AM

Day 4 here. For the past 3 mornings I have woken up feeling depressed. Not defeated, because I know I'm not going to drink. But just so depressed. It's only 9am and I want the day to be over already.

phoebe64 05-21-2014 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kallistia (Post 4664479)
Hush yo mouf! lol

I recall going to the doctor about it a couple of years ago when it was just a twinge and according to them it didn't exist (so I didn't go back of course) I didn't realize how bad it has become! I'm hoping it's something that will resolve itself, thank you for the advice on the fish oil and potassium, I'll havge to get some on my way home (now that I suddenly have all this extra money out of the blue...)

Also...instead of calling this day 3 again I'm choosing it to call it day seven? Six days sober, one day not...I'm still going to call it progress! :D

Maybe try some physical therapy? (suggested by one :) )