SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2014 Part 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/331882-class-april-2014-part-7-a.html)

Dee74 05-12-2014 04:27 PM

Class of April 2014 Part 7

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-20.html

D

Upward2Enlightenment 05-12-2014 04:40 PM

First ;)

Thanks Dee

Applekat 05-12-2014 04:48 PM

3 weeks tomorrow for me!
Wouldn't have gotten here without my fellow Fools!!!

Settling into my typical Monday night routine.
Minus finishing up leftover weekend wine.

obosob 05-12-2014 05:26 PM

3rd

obosob 05-12-2014 05:27 PM

Thanks dee. I rely on this group a lot!!!!

obosob 05-12-2014 05:28 PM

Thanks dee. I rely on the group a lot!!!

obosob 05-12-2014 05:29 PM

Ha! See I even wrote it twice

izzy8 05-12-2014 05:32 PM

Up- you are like the backbone of our class. Thank you!

Chick-hope your family is feeling better soon.

Soli- thinking of you and your family, esp your mom. How was math? :)

Overwhelmed- please hang in there w us! It can only get better, right?

ST- waz up? Hope you're doing well :)

Mrs B- my hubs and I did the same thing! Watched lots of episodes on our iPad. Can't wait for the next season of Downton. This last one seemed esp short!

Everyone- hope you've had a happy monday! I feel overloaded w upcoming company and finishing school! This too shall pass, right?

Panacea 05-12-2014 05:34 PM

4th :)

Just catching up on things after a busy weekend. I hope all the Fools are doing well. Applekat - congratulations on 3 weeks...we are sober anniversary buddies!

I need to go out for a run prior to it getting to late. I will check in later and read up on the group's activities.

Take care,

Pan

izzy8 05-12-2014 05:48 PM

By the way- obo (and dee:))- we watch am. Idol... (Go team Gina!) ... Anyway- always think of you two now when Keith urban comes on :). Freein- have been learning about Eurovision- wow!

izzy8 05-12-2014 05:50 PM

5th!:scoregood

Upward2Enlightenment 05-12-2014 05:51 PM

I saw this on facebook.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...17203111_n.jpg

Someones comment was "I hear if you put it in a bowl of rice before bed, an asian will come fix it while you sleep. Don't know if it's true or not, I haven't tried it myself"

Upward2Enlightenment 05-12-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by izzy8 (Post 4646829)
5th!:scoregood

Who started this Fool-ishness? ;)

izzy8 05-12-2014 05:54 PM

You! :a043:

DancingDiva 05-12-2014 05:58 PM

Howdy all!

Hope everyone had a great Monday - I only have a minute before I run off to a rehearsal, but I just wanted to thank everyone again for the amazing support this weekend :) For those that are struggling with fighting the addiction or with life in general, here on SR is a great place to be.

Oh, and freein, I totally called the G'Nite John Boy thing at the beginning of this class! Glad to know someone else is on the same cheesy TV wavelength as I am. All you Downton Abbey peeps are too highfalutin' for me! :)

izzy8 05-12-2014 06:00 PM

DD- don't knock it till u try it! It's PBS so yeah, wariness is inevitable... But it is truly great tv :).

Adnamaeel 05-12-2014 06:34 PM

Diva, Downton Abbey is worth watching just for the clothes. Everything Mary wears would be perfect on me.

Upward2Enlightenment 05-12-2014 07:06 PM

My daughter had another softball game tonight and I was not allowed to go!!! :headbange:headbange:headbange:headbange:headbange

Applekat 05-12-2014 07:14 PM

Up - I don't know the background on the relationship etc but I'm sorry! That just stinks. Head up. Stay strong.

Ilya 05-12-2014 07:19 PM

Oh No!!

OVERWHELMD and SOLI

And anyone else who is experiencing REAL STRESS (not creating a hierarchy of stress just referring to that voice echoing in your heads)!!

That sucks! That is all so beyond overwhelming. I'm so sorry to hear that everything is piling up on you. I'm also familiar with the "milestone drink."

I became overwhelmed when I thought I couldn't take anymore, just a few days ago. I was right -- I couldn't bare any more weight. So I drank. THUSLY: it was the pint on the camel's back and that drink broke me! Because on top of all of my problems and worries I had administered a hangover to myself. So I crumbled, I did not fight through it, and I lost days I should have been spending reconstructing these gashes in my life.

I am really in a pinch now and I wish I could have those days back. You all know what I'm talking about. Not a fun lost weekend where you take a vacation from your worries. Rather, one fun idea, then sub-satisfactory chemical reactions that devolve into sluggish doldrums, then days of pain and hating yourself and creating more problems that you don't have room for.

I hope I can help you play the tape. My sober self is working double time to make up for that. In all areas of my life.

Thanks to all of you, by the way, for being SO welcoming :)

Ilya 05-12-2014 07:22 PM

Up, I'm so sorry to hear about the softball game... That must be terrible. I hope that you can get back there for your daughter. I believe in you

topspin 05-12-2014 07:31 PM

Thank you for that post Ilya !!

And Adna , your earlier post about not being able to control anyone else is brilliant !

Sometimes all I have left , if I can remember to think of it , is the Serenity Prayer.

How does that work like that , Screwd ?
If it's something that can't be changed , and you have to find the strength to accept it, ...just know that we are here solidly in support of you ,... working through these times.

SolitaryThinker 05-12-2014 07:41 PM

Hey all, tried to get the most out of my day off today, checking in on new thread and saying hi and I'm doing good.
Much love to the ones struggling I read thru all the posts from earlier <3

topspin 05-12-2014 07:44 PM

Soliliquy ,

I never knew it at the time , back in 2010, about one of my Classmates , Ghostly .

He started here thinking he would use SR to quit for 30 days , ...and now over four years later, his life has improved exponentially , ..
A life second to none.

Ghostly is living proof that this doesn't have to be a temporary self-improvement type exercise , but rather a life changing event.

I truly believe we can all walk away from our personal struggles with addiction.

Please hang tough Overwhelmed, .... I can't add to what's been said, just know I have full confidence in you, ...... you can make it through today.

Semper Strong ....Sober Fools

Upward2Enlightenment 05-12-2014 08:27 PM

It's complicated Top, but hopefully not permanent.

StormiNormi 05-12-2014 09:32 PM

I am tired, but sober. This working for a living is gonna kill me.
Up and Betterlife, congratulations on the one month milestone. MY, time flies when we are having fun.
How are your parents, Sol?
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, SkrewdUp
Iyla, happy to see you back in the saddle
ST, you sound much better. Don't forget to drink lots of water.
Top, what would we do without your Witt?
Mariah, MrsB, Mr G., Adna, Izzy,chickchick, Dee, Obo, Panacea, DancingDiva, Applekat, Kitten and whoever else I have not listed... hope you are all doing well. I keep each one of you in my prayers and on my gratitude list.

Dee74 05-12-2014 09:34 PM

Thanks Normi - doing well here :)

D

MariahGayle 05-12-2014 09:52 PM

Overwhelmed.....I'm sorry that things are so stressful & overwhelming for you. I think what Adna & TS said about doing your best to "let go" of those things you have no control over is probably the most helpful in "relieving" what you are experiencing......Please remember that drinking over any of it will only make it all worse. I really hope things get easier for you this week

Hi Up....I know that must be really tough for you....glad you are posting here & just keep moving forward & I'm sure that situation will change for you.

Solilo - Glad to see you here today & hope you stick with us here beyond the 30 days. Thinking of you knowing this must be a very difficult time for you with your Mom.

Ilyla...do glad you are here & posting. Take it easy these first few days

Mrsbee & Chick chick - Hope you are both feeling better soon.

Congrats Stormi & Up on 30 days!! Obosob on 18 & glad you are checking in here with us:) ST - 35 days is great, and so glad to hear your taking care of yourself..you deserve it!

Congrats to everyone with another day or making a milestone:)

End of a long day - Good night Mary Ellen, Jim Bob, Elizabeth, John Boy, Erin, Mama, Papa, Grandma, Grandpa.

Soliloquy 05-12-2014 10:57 PM

Just kind of skimmed over what I missed.

Kitten: that description of the anxiety you felt, I can relate to that very well as it happens to me often. It's extremely frustrating to want or need to do something and not be able to. It's not like "I don't want to do that so I'm just not even going to think about it." It's quite the opposite. I think about it constantly. Sometimes I intend to do whatever it is that's causing me anxiety, anticipate doing it with much anguish, then the time comes and I can't bring myself to, it's too late and I feel awful. The difference is, I feel like it's lessened. I know that it gets especially bad for me the following day or two after drinking too much. You're the only person I've heard say "lizard brain" other than on Dexter lol i didn't know it was a thing.

Izzy: math went well. I decided that it would be a good idea for him to brush up on the basics to make the other stuff easier, so he worked on multiplication today. I'm surprised he was even passing math at school. He was scared to ask questions because the teacher said things like " I already went over how to do this. I'm not your private teacher".

So on the first day of homeschool he worked on multiplication, finished a book he had started reading yesterday, and wrote a rough draft for a book report. He watched episode 1 of Discovery Channel's Powering the Future, a four part mini series on renewable energy, and took notes. He'll be writing a paper on it on Fri. I found a lesson plan for the documentary Food Inc. and I'm pretty excited to begin that. It's designed for grades 6-12 but I'm sure he can handle it. I should've had him watch that a long time ago. All in all I'd say it was a successful day! It's pretty awesome being the one who decides what my child is taught. Teach your children well! I counted the days and we took him out only 21 school days early, two of which are field days.

Topspin: that is quite inspiring about your friend Ghostly. What a great triumph. I think that one of my biggest problems, no, I KNOW that one of my biggest problems in life is my inability to make decisions. I'm so indecisive it's ridiculous. I keep second guessing things, I go back and forth. It's hard to be steadfast.

Well I guess it's a good thing I don't have to wake up early tomorrow. I like school better when it works with my schedule. Actually, if I had my way I'd stay up till 3am and sleep till 11pm every day. Can't quite do that but not waking up at 6:30 makes me happy!

freein14 05-12-2014 11:10 PM

Morning everyone,

Just a quick check in before work.

MariahGayle, you remembered the Waltons names, that's just awe inspiring!

Applekat, I totally agree with your aim to "get passed the month milestone". In the past, I too had a sobriety plan for a week, a month, even a year, and each time felt justified in really enjoying some wine as a "celebration" when I'd completed the milestone.

I found that it just reinforced the false thoughts in my brain that I needed alcohol to cope, that alcohol was in some way a treat, that it was worth striving for, that it was ok to poison my body just because I'd "suffered" a month without it.

Then, of course, the whole dreadful cycle started again, only I was even further down in the mire because I'd "failed" yet again.

My strategy this time is to ask the question "how would a non-drinker cope with this?". Luckily I have a tea total friend (who has actually coped with many traumas in her life), so I try to imagine what she would do, or what advice she might give.

I wish I'd not wasted so much time returning to the alcohol cycle. I'm only now beginning to realise that alcohol never actually helped me cope with anything, because after a few drinks I wasn't around to do any coping! It always made a bad situation much worse.

I hope everyone has a better day today.