SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2013 Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/290702-class-april-2013-part-2-a.html)

purplelily 04-12-2013 11:07 AM

Hi all! Just a quick check-in...Day 5 is going great for now. The 11-yo is gearing up for a Boy Scouts camping trip for the weekend, and I am a bit nervous about the quiet time with Hubby...it should be great, time to talk freely, but another part of me is nervous about it. He has a tendency to lecture and condescend, like a parent, rather than a partner. I know I need to suck it up and take advantage of adult time! Wish me luck!

bblackbirdflyy 04-12-2013 11:09 AM

I've been drinking. Back to day one I guess. :(

Beavis 04-12-2013 01:15 PM

Heading into my first weekend sober. I think this will be my first test to see how serious I am about all this. I think that when people offer me a drink and I say no, their jaws will drop to the floor.
Sometimes I feel myself NOT wanting a drink and that feels really weird. It's like trying on a new outfit. The only times I've not wanted to drink was when I was hung over or vomiting after a night of drinking.
I have also been very tired. Also I am craving sweets like nothing else. What's that all about?

ScoutBall 04-12-2013 01:35 PM

I know you can do it bblackbird. Keep coming here. Post. Get your support close, and mostly treat yourself well. Gotta pick up, dust off and keep going.

Beavis: Something to do with the way our bodies metabolise the alcohol. The liver breaks it down and converts it into sugars. By not drinking, your body is used to the sugar, and you start to crave it.

I'll take housing a bunch of sweets over booze ANY day.

Keep SR close this weekend. If I can do it, anybody can. Trust me. Weekends were MY thing.

Ladybug2 04-12-2013 02:22 PM

Beavis, I have also been craving sweets 24/7 and I never had a sweet tooth, except for when I was pregnant. Scoutball is right - I have heard that it is very common after you quit drinking. Hope it goes away soon, though. I was hoping to lose a little weight after not drinking so much alcohol, not the other way around! Oh well, if that is the price we pay to get and stay sober then so be it. I think in the long run it will even itself out. Best of luck this weekend. This will be my first weekend sober as well. We can do it!

Dee74 04-12-2013 02:31 PM

Welcome Jab :)

Welcome back to you too bblackbirdflyy - what are you going to do now?

D

janiebluebird 04-12-2013 09:58 PM

How's everyone doing this weekend?

Dee74 04-12-2013 10:02 PM

good Janie - how are you? :)

D

Elly40 04-13-2013 02:23 AM

Hey Guys

Just checking in quickly before I head off to bed, it's Sat evening here, had a busy day and feeling quite tired, it feels a bit weird not to be having a drink on Saturday night, kind of boring, but ah well at least there will be no hangover in the morning.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Stay Strong:c007:

Mark03 04-13-2013 02:23 AM

Day 9 and entering my 2nd sober weekend. Not feeling as low as I have last few days but still pretty sh!tty. Not sure how im feeling really? Life without booze seems unthinkable at times however, I must not forget that I have been drinking daily for nearly 20 years (what a waste!) so change takes time. I jyst cannot continue with the lies, shame, guilt etc etc etc....one thing I know for sure and that this is going to take time and I dont want to start from day 1 again.

I havnt posted a lot over the last 9 days (feeling pretty low and have just buried my head) but I have been reading a lot of the posts which have kept me going...There really is some great people on here.

Keep digging deep everyone, we are in this together for however long it takes!

Dee74 04-13-2013 02:27 AM

Night Elly

Mark- remember you don't have to live your future all in this weekend - take it a day at a time like everyone else - it'll be ok :)

D

Elly40 04-13-2013 02:40 AM

I'm on day 9 too Mark, pleased your feeling a little bit better, I think for me I've had soooo many day 1's, I just really don't want to be back there again, once I'm there I know how damn hard it is to get past it, so in a way it's keeping me sober. It's not a nice feeling to know that I can't even trust myself to have just one, cause I know for certain one for me never means just one.

Hang in there:)

Night Dee:)

fortysix 04-13-2013 02:51 AM

Ive been useless this week but determined to hang on in

raja12 04-13-2013 03:11 AM

Hi everyone. Hope all are enjoying a sober weekend so far. I am. Haven't felt well lately tho, must be coming down with a cold. Or seasonal allergies really starting to kick in again.
The kids came back . There are new rules and regulations they must live by.We talked, and decided it was the best thing for the girls to finish off the school year here. The new plan is that they move after that. So far, all has been liveable. Really hoping it stays that way. Really scared if it doesn't. Time will tell.

Coltharp 04-13-2013 05:02 AM

Hey there forty-six, I think hanging on is useful in and of itself. So, way to go!

I'm hanging on as well. Day 6 for me. last night was rough... Lots of cravings But I didn't drink. instead I read some posts on here, ate pizza and cake, and watched Dr. who. I like waking up with no hangover!

Ladybug2 04-13-2013 05:46 AM

:rotfxkoGood Saturday Morning friends,

Janie, we stayed in last night and ordered pizza and wings (more junk food :wink3:) but that is our usual Friday night "thing". Today we are finishing up our garden and tonight the hubby and I are going to dinner to celebrate his upcoming BD. My mom is watching the little one so it will be nice for the 2 of us to spend some "alone " time together. Will be my first night out since I have been sober so feeling a little anxious. Going to a new restaurant that doesn't hold any memories of past drinking " date nights". Guess I am more worried my hubby won't enjoy it as much (not sure he will drink in front of me) as he loves his usual night out cocktails. Anyway, enough about me, Janie, what are up to this weekend? happyface:

Elly, I have been feeling exactly the same thing about not wanting to go back to Day 1. The first few days are just too miserable. Great job on 9 days! I am on Day 7 so right behind ya!

Mark, I, too, get depressed sometimes when I think about NEVER being able to drink again. It has been such a big part of our lives for so long it almost feels we are mourning it? I have read a lot of posts from people who have gotten some sober time under their belts and it sounds like we will reach a point where we don't even think about it? can't wait for that day! As you said, change will take time. Well done on 9 days!

Fortysix, hang in there, what day are you on?

Raja, hope you feel better. I know allergies always start getting us around this time of year. Hope all works out with the kids. :c014:

Coltharp, I also ate pizza, etc last night. But instead of cake I proceeded to eat way too many Oreo cookies. I actually felt sick to my stomach when I went to bed. But it was better being sick from too many cookies than sick from alcohol! Plus, cookies don't make you hungover :tongue:

Hope everyone else is having an enjoyable weekend!

Ladybug2 04-13-2013 05:47 AM

Sorry guys, didn't mean to put that laughing smiley face in front of my Good Morning, don't know how that happened????

Loki7 04-13-2013 06:03 AM

Enjoying Day 13 here,

One thing I did want to mention, just incase anyone else has had similar, is that I have a very elevated level of anxiety at the moment. In fact I've had it for a fair amount of time and 'nursed' it by drinking in the evenings, therefore letting my mind rest a bit.

Since I have gone dry it has increased quite a lot, which I expected, and it is my major thing to work through at the moment. However, this hasn't brought me down too much, or made me want to forget about it by drinking, instead I am doing things properly; getting as much exercise as I can fit in, in contact with my GP once a week, and have started cognitive behaviour therapy which will re-wire my brain to relax naturally.

My improvement has had to get worse before it gets better, and I'm sure others have experienced the same to some extent, but I had got to a point where I had to make the choice to dig deep and tough it out. The thought of achieving a better overall life is worth riding out the difficult times for, and tiny bit by tiny bit I am making progress each day.

Emily2002 04-13-2013 06:05 AM

Hello all. Morning here in my neck of the woods. Day 11 for me, too. actually. I realized this as I lay in bed, just having awoken to blinding sunshine. I'm putting less emphasis these days on thinking of myself as someone who simply doesn't drink rather than as someone who "can't," and it's helping me immensely. I have my tried and true non-alcoholic standbys, so when my husband, kids, friends and siblings imbibe I've been ok so far. I'm not fooling myself by thinking it's going to remain so easy, but I'll take feeling optimistic for right now.

I said to my husband just an hour ago, "I LOVE not drinking." He replied, "Ugh. Don't rub it in!" He, my adult daughter and I went to a pub last night for beers and dinner. He told me he likes the "idea" of not drinking, and I replied, "I like the way I feel when I'm not." No early a.m. headache and sour stomach for me today. :dance1:

Part of my problem with drinking has been falling in to the pattern of family drinking. Both sides of our families have always drunk to celebrate, to mourn, to vacation, to socialize, etc.. I started drinking more regularly by joining my husband as he enjoyed his after-work cocktail. Life went on, brought its ups and downs and I began drinking to self medicate. This led to binging, to blackouts, etc..

Trying so incredibly hard to change my relationship with alcohol, and this is honestly the most hopeful I've been at the beginning of one of my MULTIPLE attempts. I've been here on the boards since 2006 I think.

Anyway... I just wanted to bang out how I was feeling. Have to run now and use up some of this hopeful energy being everything to everyone here at home. I'll be back on tonight to catch up with everyone's successes and struggles.

Keeping you all in my heart and mind as I go through the day. We're in this TOGETHER!!!!

:ring

janiebluebird 04-13-2013 06:32 AM

Its morning here where I am. I'm going to make a class at the gym and take the rest of the day from there.

I feel grateful to wake up fresh, no hang over, with an entire day at my hands - a day that used to be wasted (literally sometimes).