SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   "30 Days and Under Part 6"... Come & encourage them! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/288547-30-days-under-part-6-come-encourage-them.html)

EternalQ 04-06-2013 08:39 PM

Goodnight everyone. Thanks for being here. Your posts here help me a lot. There's a lot of wisdom here and more to be revealed. The more youre sober, the more curious you can get.

Grace2 04-07-2013 04:28 AM

12.05 Sun

Good afternoon Unders

It's very quiet here today and I hope it's just because you are all doing good things and keeping focused on staying sober.
I was reading a magazine last night, nothing to do with drinking, but it had a really good section in it about gratitude, which I thought was very appropriate for us.

Sometimes we say 'thank you' out of habit, without really meaning it. Saying it from the heart though, and feeling truly grateful for what's going right in your life-the people you love, your achievements and milestones-is one of the most powerful ways to boost positive emotions. Getting into the habit of asking your self 'What's good in your life?' and 'What went well' can completely change your perspective on the greyest of days, and the more positive you feel day-to-day, the easier you'll find any challenge-including staying sober.

One of the most effective ways to boost your positive emotions is to create a gratitude board or journal. Spending a few moments looking at it each morning can help create a positive mood that lasts all day. Your board could include images or write ups of the changing seasons, a beautiful beach you once visited, people who have inspired you, your recovery milestones, happy children and pets, or just photo's of people you love.

Shifting your focus from what you don't have to what you do have can make a huge difference to your happiness levels-it's what my Granny called 'counting your blessings'. Our brains are wired so that we generally notice what's wrong before what's right.

The more you actually savour the good things, however small, such as a great cup of tea, a clear blue sky or a joke shared with friends-the more you increase your capacity to notice them as they happen in the future.

A lot of us know from experience that not getting enough sleep can play havoc with your recovery intentions. Getting into the gratitude habit could help you sleep better. Make gratitude a bedtime habit, it's easier to stick to new habits if you link them to something you already do regularly-so when you are brushing your teeth at night, ask yourself 'what is good in my life today?' What went well?

The gratitude boards here on S.R are a good place to write your feelings down and it really does help.

Just thought I would share that with you.

See you all later

Stay safe and sober

Gxxx

Just for today, I will not worry.

Gilmer 04-07-2013 04:37 AM

Wow, Grace, you just read my mind! I just posted over at the Gratitude board a few minutes ago. When I was young, I was full of gratitude and thanksgiving, but as I got older (and more drunk and selfish), I became sour. I really wasn't thankful for anything anymore. Now I'm seeing how warped that is, and I'm disciplining myself to say thank you again.

Grace2 04-07-2013 04:46 AM

Wow indeed Gilmer, great minds think alike. That's just what I'm trying to do too.

Gxx

tootsl1 04-07-2013 05:43 AM

WWG, two weeks now! You are cruising! I am glad things are going well, keep focussed and as Grace and Gilmer say, count your blessings, of which you have many!
EQ as always you write such beautiful and heartfelt posts. So uplifting.
Steve, sorry to hear you have been having a hard time, especially as you are one of the success stories,but even in your temptation, you are an iniration.

Sobriea, good to see you on another thread, in the early days it is good to post on a smarmy threads as possible, as each has different members of the SR family, some you may relate to better than others. Also I wold urge you to read Alan Carrs 'easy way to control alcohol' asa binge drinker it will be easier for you to get control intermittently, but in the end you are in the same boat as the rest of us here. This book helps you to see alcohol for what it is and may well help. Also, as you seem aware of the specific issues relating to your drinking, are you getting the right kind of help? Ie counselling? I hope to see you are d as you grow in strength and self esteem

Grace, I hope all is well with you? Drink wise all is well here, not feeling any AV at the moment. I am suffering with a trapped nerve in my elbow which is extremely painfu, and which would have been a great excuse for medicinal alcohol in the past, this time I just reached for the anti inflammatories and painkillers. I am growing!

Luck and love to all

Be strong be safe be sober.

Coltharp 04-07-2013 06:02 AM

Today is day 1 for me. I started drinking as a teenager and I'm in my mid-forties now. I quit for a year once but started back. I try to drink in moderation and set boundaries but I end up binge drinking about every two weeks. I'm tired and I'm ready to stop.

Grace2 04-07-2013 06:09 AM

Hi Toots

Yes all is well with me, thank you, I'm doing housework now, with a pause every now and then to check the posts, lol.
Ouch your elbow sounds painful, I hope the pain eases soon. I've got an appointment on Tuesday at the 'injection clinic' ( that sounds awful) for a cortisone injection in my middle finger, I've got 'trigger finger' and my finger keeps locking.

Back later

Gxx

tootsl1 04-07-2013 07:00 AM

Coltharp, welcome friend. Thi thread is great for support, but is a little quiet at the moment. Have you checked out other threads like ' class of April 2013'? Ther is also 1 year and under. Post on as many as you can to find your way around an to find your niche. The fact you are here means you are ready to look at quitting for good, you will get plenty of support. There are also threads on here suggesting tools ( techniques) to help deal with the urges and temptations of alcohol. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you around x

tootsl1 04-07-2013 07:02 AM

Sorry to grin Grace, I am sure trigger finger is terribly painful and I hate cortisone injections, they hurt too., but I had this wonderful vision of you as a cow gal drawing you gun on that sneaky AV ( of course he was the one in the black hat!!! ) hope all goes well Tuesday. X

Grace2 04-07-2013 07:07 AM

Hi Coltharp, we must have been posting at the same time, welcome to the Under 30's. I'm glad you've found S.R, you'll get lots of support here and make some good friends.
As Toots says join the April class, you will be with people there who are exactly at the same stage as you and going through the same emotions. Read and post as much as you can and be kind to yourself. You can do this, we're all walking this walk together here and we're here for you 24/7.

WWG, where are you today, I'm looking out for your post?

Gxx

Coltharp 04-07-2013 07:15 AM

thanks for the warm welcome Toots & Grace!

walkingwithgod 04-07-2013 07:38 AM

Day 14, and off to Mass on a bit. I will post more later.

Grace2 04-07-2013 08:16 AM

Well thanks for that Toots, no one told me that the injection will hurt. :react I may have to cancel now! Just joking. Ha ha, you can imagine the jokes I've had about my finger, some very rude ones too, I may add. My O.H finds it highly amusing. To be honest it's not too painful, just a nuisance, I can't unlock it without force.

Awesome WWG. http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/96/96afed9e...0554-large.gif Enjoy the service at Mass.

Gx

bloss 04-07-2013 08:33 AM

Hi Grace...good Sunday to you. :)

B

tootsl1 04-07-2013 08:55 AM

Did I say the injection hurt? Er no, I er meant it tickled. Yes that's it! The injection tickles!!! Lol x

EternalQ 04-07-2013 09:08 AM

Here is the link to April's class, if anyone is interested. Just click on it.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...il-2013-a.html

samwitch 04-07-2013 01:09 PM

Hey all-
I'm back...
I am giving the not drinking life another go.
I know last time when I had 3 months this thread helped me tremendously.
I want to get off this roller coaster for the last time.

tootsl1 04-07-2013 02:04 PM

Well done Samwitch, you found your way back home. See EQs link above to another supportive thread. I wish you all the best, you know you can do it, having been here before, this time, you can make it last x

Grace2 04-07-2013 02:59 PM

Hi again Unders, going to bed in a minute, its 11 p.m and I'm up at 6.30.

Thanks Bloss, I hope you've had a good day too.

Hmmm Toots, well we'll see won't we, I may be having words with you on Tuesday, lol

Welcome back Samwich, it's great to have you back with us, you can do it, if I can, you can. Stick close we're all with you on this.

See you all tomorrow

Sleep well

Gxxx

EternalQ 04-07-2013 04:03 PM

Welcome back Samwitch. Glad to see you! Sounds like you have some ideas of what helped you before. I know you can do this.

You know, it is going to sound overly simplistic guys, but, the ultimate secret, is not to drink. Cause it is not like you won't want to. You will. It will just become less and less over time. Case in point, I've had several times this weekend when its popped in my head and I won't lie. Its been an appealing thought. But I refuse to entertain it.

Because here is the thing: I made a commitment. Its like anything else you make a big commitment to: a marriage, your child, your aging parent, your job, whatever. In those examples we all can easily see there will be moments we won't want to honor that commitment. We know we may be attracted to others besides our spouse, or not want to stick with the more tedious parts of childrearing, or sometimes feel resentful helping a parent, or want to falsely call out sick to our jobs. But what stops some people from letting themselves go too far, is, they never forget that they've made a commitment. A promise. And that over arches even the most challenging times.

I believe it is the same with sobriety. Sure there are days regarding my sobriety when I want to cheat, act out, and be impulsive. But I don't want to wreck what I'm creating. I know in all the commitments I mentioned, one poorly thought out impulsive act can undo everything I've worked for. So it is with sobriety.

I don't like forcing myself to be a grown up about it. But I am. Grown ups show up regardless of their moods or whims. So I am showing up. Even when showing up is no fun.