SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of November 2011 Pt 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/277621-class-november-2011-pt-7-a.html)

Dee74 12-15-2012 02:11 PM

Class Of November 2011 Pt 7

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-6-a-20.html

D

InParticular 12-15-2012 11:22 PM

Wow! A new thread, it's been awhile.

Just got back from Christmas dinner, ughghghhh. Early this year because my dad's going to Mexico on Monday.

So sad about those kids and the teachers. Too bad now everyone will talk about how messed up the kid was, but the truth is society is to blame.

Tres 12-16-2012 04:53 PM

Hey everyone. Went to see the musical Sister Act. My friend gave me his tickets. Took my daughter. Really great show. Lots of music this weekend!

Tres 12-16-2012 05:14 PM

Well, hubby is back at it all weekend with the drinking...I think he "moderated " about 4 days. He just got home from cornhole half blitzed, thinking he is Mr. Comedian.

Whatever.

InParticular 12-17-2012 11:25 PM

Ah, Tres, too bad. You should tell him that what you want for Christmas is him sober.

Me and my brother were looking at old pictures tonight, so many of our parents blitzed and partying. Lots of bottles, etc. Such different times. My dad never drinks anymore. My mom has/had a drinking problem, I remember she used to drink wine through the day a lot, and get depressed. Funny I never really thought about it, but now I realize what she must have been going through. I should call her. It's been over a year since we've talked. Still pretty pissed though. Such a mess. My brother told me that she knows I'm going home for Christmas. Maybe I'm being stubborn, but, I'm tired of letting her get away with being awful. If I forgive her again she'll just never change.
Sorry for rambling about this again.
Any-hoo. Other than all that doing pretty good. My best friend is in town which is awesome.

Tres 12-18-2012 06:09 PM

IP, I am sorry to hear about your relationship with your mom. I don't know your details but I hope you find peace with it. I have such respect and love for my mom. She is so supportive and never treats anyone poorly. She is a great role model.

I like what you said about asking him to be sober for Christmas. I never thought of that as a gift, but how wonderful that would be.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there.

InParticular 12-19-2012 10:18 AM

Wouldn't it? Unfortunately we know all too well how hard it is to not drink at Christmastime.

Went to our neighbour's last night and she was making Earl Grey martinis, for god's sake. I would have been all over those a year ago. I also would have had too many and made a fool of myself, probably. Ugh.

I have to say, my second sober Christmas is not going to be a walk in the park. I'm already feeling pangs about all the drinking I could be doing over the holiday, you know, Bailey's and hot chocolate by the fire, etc. Whatever.

Leaving in the morning. Can't wait to get there!

Tres 12-19-2012 04:04 PM

Safe travels IP.

I am having some anxiety about upcoming triggers. The biggest is my inlaws come tomorrow to stay two weeks.....I always want to drink around them because they annoy me. I will have to fight the fight.

Serenity now...

Vantrina 12-20-2012 01:18 AM

Hey Everyone,

I know what you mean about this "second Christmas" not being a walk in the park.

Having considerations (which I am not acting on) of spiked egg nog, deep red wine in holiday cheery glasses, and my fav,, champagne. This too will pass. Thought yesterday on the way home that maybe I will start drinking again in 2013…thought this while sitting at a traffic light. By the time I made it to the next block I remembered that the wine would just make me detached and unmotivated, so I scratched that plan. God bless the person who first posted "…play it through to the end…." because that line of thinking has really helped me.

Can't say I'm having an easy time of things otherwise…grieving what I need to grieve.

and btw, Earl Grey martinis are serious business. Man, that would take me out for about a month or more right now. THat includes the drunk & the recovery time. More power to you, InPartic

Have a good sober day everyone. :ring

Dee74 12-20-2012 01:19 AM

bon voyage IP :)

D

InParticular 12-20-2012 02:27 AM

Hang in there you guys, we're pros at this. We can do it!

Dee re: your avatar, I have to admit, there is a part of me that is secretly glad to get the &*# away from the coast for the 21st. You know...just in case...(eek!)

I might not be online for a bit-keep strong Ninjas! That means you too Marine!

:ring

Marine28 12-20-2012 05:58 PM

Hi gang. Thanks for the shout out, IP! I hear ya on the drinking over the Holidays. Just arrived today at my annual tropical vacation and the ice cold Chardonnay was looking very nice. Being here alone makes it tough, too. It still amazes me that with all that happened to me in the past few weeks with the DUI, going to lose my license, etc, that the craving is still there at times. I will not act on the craving, no way, no how, but is still amazes me. Hang in there. If I can do if, you can do it.

Dee74 12-20-2012 06:31 PM

well I'm well into the 21st and all is well here IP :)

D

Tres 12-20-2012 06:38 PM

Dee, glad to here all is well.

I laws are here. I ran three miles before they came....that's free medicine. Helped chill me out and we had a great evening.

Hi Marine! Anyone see Bimm?

Tres 12-20-2012 06:39 PM

Dee....I meant "hear."....sorry.

Dee74 12-20-2012 06:41 PM

thanks Tres :)

D

Marine28 12-22-2012 06:46 AM

Just popping in to say Hello.

I posted a long post on the November 2012 class and tried to copy and paste here but it seems I either don't know how or can't copy and paste from an iPad. I can do it from the PC. Oh well. It was about being jealous of a couple who was sitting next to me at the bar last night where I was eating my dinner and drinking my sparkling water and lime. They ordered water because they were having A DRINK with their dinner. A DRINK. Ha! How I would love to be able to do that. But I can't.
I know you are probably thinking it is dangerous for me to eat alone at a bar, but getting a table for one was wasn't an option last night due to the crowd in the restaurant. I won't give in and drink - no way, no how. A DUI will do that to you. I will and have had cravings, but I will not give in to them. Spending a few hours handcuffed was nothing compared to what it would be like if I got a second DUI. There is no negotiation on that one...it's 60 days in jail. I will NEVER EVER have to worry about that.

Someone told me that I could "just drink at home." Well, that might be true, but a blackout drinker could easily be "drinking at home", be in a blackout and get in the car and drive to the liquor store to get more and not even know it. I am very lucky that I did not kill myself or another person or even injure myself or another person in my accident. I will never drink again.

Off to the beach on this beautiful tropical day. I must say, it is quite interesting to be here without having a single drink. And it's quite nice, too!

Tres 12-23-2012 07:22 PM

Hi Marine, glad to hear you are doing well. Enjoy the beach.

I'm doing well with the hectic holidays and in laws.. yay.H

Vantrina 12-23-2012 07:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

Marine, I'm really glad you are staying in touch…just being near a beach sounds great to me. You sound like you have a good attitude and are in a good place. I know it is not easy. One day at a time for all of us, no doubt.

Hope everyone is having a good night tonight. I baked all day…sampled a good number of cookies and sweets all in the name of the holiday season. Someone has to do it. ;)

November Ninjas (& Dee) sipping hot cocoa, tea, coffee...and singing our favorite songs whether they be seasonal or Top 40 (from the decade of our choice): :Xmascb:Xmascb

Dee74 12-24-2012 04:31 AM

Thanks Van :)
Merry Christmas everybody!

D