SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of November 2011 Pt 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/277621-class-november-2011-pt-7-a.html)

Marine28 10-07-2013 09:09 PM

IP - I think I may have mentioned before that I was a Journalism major way back when. A lot of things got in the way and I ended up with a very good career in financial services. I like my job, I get to travel all over the country and the pay is very good. BUT...it is not my passion. My passion is Journalism. I have been thinking a lot about ... well.... just life in general. I am seriously contemplating giving this all up to pursue my passion. Sure, journalists don't make a lot of dough. But some do! And....we are all pretty passionate.

Your "self employment" sounds wonderful and I know it is probably stressful for you at times. But to give you my unsolicited opinion....keep at it. And the Africa gig will make such great blog material!!!! I know a gal whose passion is cooking. She started a blog, posted a picture of what she fed her family for dinner along with the recipe and their comments and soon thereafter was contacted by a publisher about writing a cookbook. The blogs do get read!

Okay. Enough of my advice for tonight. I am sitting in a hotel room, or rather, trying to fall asleep in a hotel room. My next round of meetings start in less than 8hours and I am wide awake. Ugh.

InParticular 10-08-2013 10:42 PM

Thank you Marine, your advice is helpful. :) I am starting to just "go with it" and not stress out. This time will pass and I will enjoy the freedom!
I remember you talking about your journalism past. Is there a way that you can combine your job with your passion? What type of journalism would you want to do?

Tres 10-09-2013 06:29 PM

Hi everyone. I am doing great. The new job is settling in. I finally hired a nurse to replace my previous position and she starts the 21. Five months of trying to do both jobs has been tough. I have been making progress on some projects and gaining trust from employees. The previous manager really left a sour taste in most eveyones mouth. I am excited to build their confidence and create a great team. Its changing for the better already. Terminating the one employee has really set the standards and we have an RN in the role now making new changes that will effect outcomes.

Family is good, no new issues there. Went to AA speaker meeting saturday night. Those are always good for me.

Glad to hear everyone is still here! Two years is right around the corner!

InParticular 10-09-2013 10:30 PM

Oh my gosh, that's right. Unbelievable. What are everyone's two year sober birthday plans?

Bimm 10-10-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by InParticular (Post 4229965)
Oh my gosh, that's right. Unbelievable. What are everyone's two year sober birthday plans?

I'm gonna give myself a big pat on the back for a job well done.
(That's right after I give myself a swift kick in the butt for not doing it years ago.)

InParticular 10-10-2013 08:43 AM

I think I might go for a big hike.

Tres 10-12-2013 07:58 PM

I may do an evening 5K for charity for our hospital.. Try to beat my time from last year...depends on my crazy right foot..have not been able to run in a few days.

DarrenW 10-14-2013 05:50 PM

My two year anniversary is Nov 16. Not sure what I will do. Hope everyone is well!

InParticular 10-17-2013 08:36 PM

Hi Darren! Hard to believe it's been two years, eh? I never in a million years would have thought I could do it.
You know as much as I still might think about alcohol, (I'm around it a lot, what can I say) there's never a moment that I regret quitting.

Vantrina 10-19-2013 04:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

Glad to read that everyone is doing well!

Bald eagles, trip plans to Africa, settling into our careers or considering making career changes….look at all of the good things going on in our lives right now. :)

Life is good here, I maneuvered the spate of social and alcohol infused work events…no plans to visit a liquor store anytime soon. (Was drinking Pellegrino out of the nicest wine glasses offered at each party though.)

It is really something that our collective two year anniversaries are right around the corner. Mine is November 21. If I am cooking and thoughtfully preparing food on that day, I will be happy. Something about chopping cilantro or garlic or red onions that makes me so very happy. :)

Have a good day today; first Saturday in weeks that I am not off to a family, work, or school event. Maybe I'll get back to yoga class this weekend?

Anna 10-19-2013 02:19 PM

Continue:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4247630