SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class Of September 2012 Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/267715-class-september-2012-part-2-a.html)

soberjim 09-11-2012 08:37 AM

Bombshell... Vent all you like. It helps me to post here too. Don't think about never drinking again. For now, just focus on today...

Don't feel dispirited. That is your av. It is scared because you are making progress and it wants to convince you to keep drinking. IGNORE IT. As you can tell from the posts on SR many many folks have been where we are and have moved to a better place in their life without alcohol. It is not imposssible. YOU CAN TO! BELIEVE IT!

Jim

walkingwithgod 09-11-2012 08:38 AM

The cravings are not easy to deal with, but we must have faith and hope. I leave work and pass at least 10 place on the way home to get alcohol. I have to make a list of things to do, or I will get distracted and think I can drink. I wish you all the best. I want to cry right now, as I am so embarrased this is me. I wish I could be normal. How will I relax without a buzz?

Groder 09-11-2012 08:38 AM

Bombshell: that voice in your head is so wrong!! I'm starting to read about the "addicted voice" and how that awful demon is going to say anything it can--especially any lie--in order to get you to keep drinking. Others on this board will know a lot more about it than me, but what I'm getting is that the voice is separate from me. It isn't me. And it's a liar!!

You deserve to post, you deserve to stop drinking, and you deserve to fit into that dress again (I've got the same too-tight dress in my closet, not to mention a bathing suit, workout pants, etc)

Rant and vent all you like. We're all kindred spirits here.

SoberForMySon 09-11-2012 08:42 AM

Fear of that one situation I had last year is my main trigger and it's killing me today. Terrified, can't think of anything else, focus, or concentrate, it's horrible. I know if that were to be lifted, I could get through this with ease, wouldn't have even started drinking at all. Hate the helplessness. That one fear has taken my sobriety, sanity, hobbies, and all the joy out of my life. I just don't see the point in anything as long as that fear is hanging over my head. I miss my life, but I can't muster up delight in anything when I am scared it'll all be taken away... Drinking or not. I don't plan to drink today, but this suffering sure sucks, and I have suffered day in and day out for over a year. It sure gets old.

DeepBreath2012 09-11-2012 08:43 AM

Welcome to all the new members!!!

I read everyone's posts with a yummy cup of coffee after an early morning run...It rejuvenated me and made me that much more commited to my sobriety. I want my sober-self back. Drinking is pointless and nothing good comes of it, for sure!

Thank you all for being here, for posting, for being who you are...I'm off to finish washing my floors, organizing the house, and making a plan for what to do when the thoughts come...I'm a big list person so I think making a list of coping mechanisms, that do not involve booze, will help!

Much love to you all...We CAN do this and this WILL be my LAST Day One!

soberjim 09-11-2012 08:47 AM

WWG.. The cravings are difficult. I worry every night between 6 - 8 p.m. that I will cave in and listen to them. I didn't last night and neither did you. Wasn't it a nice feeling this morning to wake up??

You are absolutely right, faith and hope.

Normal. Yep, I think as well. However as I posted before, I cannot think to much about never drinking again, or will I be 'normal', beacuse I am putting my energy into getting through today. I DON"T want to give in to the cravings and start back at day 1..

Relax without a buzz... I think that will take care of itself, once alcohol is no longer in your life and you retrain your thinking.

Consider spending time with your family, exercising, things like that. Try not to worry about the whole relaxing aspect at the moment. Just get through to tomorrow and let thinks handle themselves (have faith that they will). Drinking will NOT get you where you need to be.

Jim

Wifi 09-11-2012 09:05 AM

Day 8!!! Welcome to the newcomers and those returning... WE CAN DO THIS...

With all the legal crap going on I really thought I would cave last night but I didn't... I wised up, got a lawyer and am waiting to hear how bad things are going to be... In any case drinking isn't going to solve anything and my drinking pretty much contributed to most of the issues I am facing.

My heart and prayers go out to the friends and families of the victims of 9/11. God bless all of you...

Stay sober class of September!!! We can do this no matter what else is going on in our lives...

Love you all... STAY SOBER!!!

benice 09-11-2012 09:12 AM

So many new friends! Welcome Mark 120910, LaceUp, SDLY, Bosko, Bombshell, Griffman and Kelle96! And of course, any one that I missed…

Marjoram and FDM – thank you for your fabulous posts. God bless the brave men and women who work every day to keep us safe.

WWG- Good job!!

7days – lemon-y sparkling water! YES! My favorite as you can see from my pic…

Jimuk- My car is in the shop and they just called with unexpected HUGE charges too. I can’t really deal with that so well today, so I kind of hung up on the gentleman who was telling me everything that needs to be done. I hope I was polite while I hung up on him!

Soberjim – I agree to focus on just TODAY…

Oh, elihoping – congrats on day 3 and I love your picture…

Groder – HAHAHA, thanks for the image of the clothes in my closet…

Today is day 7 for me. I am still not sleeping well. Still having strange dreams. Not feeling great when I wake up. I am also trying to confront exorbitant stress head on without my evening buffer. I know I need to cut down on my caffeine, but can’t quite give up my Venti Pike Place and I know I should also increase my exercise, but I can’t quite get myself there yet…working on it.

Have a great day everyone! Peace…

walkingwithgod 09-11-2012 09:26 AM

What do you drink when you are not drinking?

soberjim 09-11-2012 09:28 AM

Real lemonade mixed with soda water...It is really good!

walkingwithgod 09-11-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by soberjim (Post 3573185)
Real lemonade mixed with soda water...It is really good!

Yum, that sounds good. I have drinking soda, and want another alternative besides soda and water. I need a few bubbles in my drink.

Groder 09-11-2012 09:31 AM

Sparkling water, sometimes with lemon or lime or cranberry juice (unsweetened). I like things tart!

I also drink a lot of decaf coffee & herbal tea. Keeps my hands warm.

sobrietygrl4 09-11-2012 09:35 AM

Coffee, water, Crystal lite, orange juice - I find that I am constantly drinking something all the time! I am going to try the club soda/cranberry juice that everyone keeps talking about, though - sounds yummy!

soberjim 09-11-2012 09:36 AM

Groder... Yeah later in the evenings I prefer the warmer drinks myself. I like hot chocolate, sometimes even put in the smaller marshmellows!

Groder 09-11-2012 10:17 AM

Hot chocolate w/mini marshmallows....yes, JimUK!

jaz06 09-11-2012 10:17 AM

I'm a water & green tea drinker...but the lemonade & soda water sounds good. It may sound funny, but in the evenings, I switch to drinking them out of a wine glass. Guess it has that placebo effect on me.

WWG, if you have to cry, cry. There's no shame in that. I know what you're saying about the embarrassment & not feeling normal, but remember that you don't have to have those feelings here. No reason to be embarrassed, & you are normal amongst us. Amongst a great group of people struggling with the same problems. With numbers, there is strength (posted earlier, but couldn't find by who).

Well, weekends are certainly proving to be my nemesis. Got thru last Friday by the skin of my teeth, but I did it. Just found out my sister & brother-in-law are coming this weekend, staying with us from Friday til Sunday (surprise visit for my Dad's b-day). They would be my other drinking buddies (seems I had many). Always coming with a fully packed cooler (and usually re-filled at some point). The party usually lasts until the wee hours of the morning...both nights. Ugh!

I know I can't worry about it right now...I have to focus on getting thru today, and that's what I'm doing. But stress is my biggest trigger, and I'm feeling that stress creeping up on me. One night of company was one thing, a whole weekend is another.

Jimuk 09-11-2012 10:19 AM

I go for tea in the day and Ginger Beer in the evening when i'm at my worst. I like the strong taste of ginger. Helps to kick the cravings into touch. ;-)

Michelle76 09-11-2012 10:32 AM

Wow, Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do!! Been a busy day so far for me, I will be on & off here all afternoon. Welcome to all the new folk!!

Jimuk 09-11-2012 10:40 AM

Michelle76, its 6.40pm here, just wondering what time it is where you are? No real reason just curious. :-D x

Marjoram 09-11-2012 10:43 AM

Crystallite, Rootbeer, and water during the day...green tea at night...especially sleepy tea- that really helps me wind down at the end of the day.

We all question so much in these early days. How will I handle my fall vacation, what about Christmas....New year? Florida in the spring. What??? No drinking? We just cannot do that to our minds. We have to allow our minds the time to enjoy now. And as now turns into yesterday, you get to enjoy now again. We cannot worry about the things that have not happened yet.

I like the AVRT method as I have a book I'm at the beginning of reading. That and I have my faith, too....so I try to use that. I think whatever method one takes, if it works, it's the right one. Find strength where you need to. And here we have numbers, and I, too agree with the comments above.

All I ask is that this group stay alive and thriving. It really helps, especially when someone is struggling. It's easy to fall out of the picture, and before you know it, the class dwindles. Keep it strong, keep posting, keep encouraging each other. Don't ever be ashamed, embarrassed, or like a failure. There's no failure here. There's no juding.

Congrats Benice on day 7!

Congrats Wifi on day 8!

Back to roobeer and cleaning out the garage.