SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2011 Part 15 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/253723-class-march-2011-part-15-a.html)

LoftyIdeals 04-26-2012 11:55 AM

Robin is such an androgenous name. Don't get me wrong, I like the name, but it's kinda like Pat. Plus, when you put it next to a strong name like Batman, it becomes totally devoid of any of its power. Used alone, like in Robin Williams, it's a great name.
After college, I dated a Robin. She was a girl, and didn't wear a mask or a cape. Just sayin'...

The skies have been a little murky here lately. Missing my natural energy source. It's amazingly weird how much that effects me. And it gets worse as I age. I need to move to a sunnier spot on the globe someday.

Hope all are doing well and stayin' sober.

mirage 04-26-2012 12:14 PM

POW! BIFF! BAM!

I had no idea the boy wonder was not of drinking age. I crushed on him back in the day. I know, be quiet.

My ex-sil was a Robin. She was a real b*tch. No really. Ask anyone who's ever met her..I hear it all the time from people she's come in contact with. I was relieved when she and my brother divorced. :)

Dark here today, too, Lofty. I went out this morning, and will go out for girls dinner tonight, but am staying in for the most part. I have to admit, I like it like this sometimes, tho. I'm weird.

bryangt 04-26-2012 12:31 PM

Dark & a bit of a chill in the Northeast today. Funny I have been in a funk & my 1st sponsor e-mailed me today to see how I was doing...I got a 'new' sponsor when I left rehab..but my 1st & new sponsor both have the same first name & both live on a farm. Going to talk to my new (current) sponsor tonight about this funk. I will admit I am full of self-pity right now which is not good. Then I just read about PAWS in a previous thread/link (thanks Dee) and will put some of the blame on that...I forgot all about PAWS...I don't have 2 years yet, so I guess that could come & go at times also...& another meeting tonight will help.

frances2011 04-26-2012 12:50 PM

Whizzing by to say HI MARCHERS.

Doing good, cloudy here too. Running again tonight to grab a few extra miles, then walking 3 with two friends who are recovering from a big race last week. :)

LoftyIdeals 04-26-2012 01:26 PM

On my way to the pool to swim. Ha! Take that, dark skies!

aussieblue 04-26-2012 02:41 PM

Cloudy here too and cold, winter is moving in. Still on a bit of a high from yesterday it has been ages since I felt really good like that wish I could bottle that feeling.

LoftyIdeals 04-26-2012 03:05 PM

Dadnabbit...the skies won. Oh well, maybe I'll slip out after dark and tread water.

Aussie...is that catwoman?

aussieblue 04-26-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals (Post 3378306)
Aussie...is that catwoman?

I was trying to come up with a good answer but all I've got is ...yes

PeanutButterCup 04-26-2012 07:14 PM

Hey Marchers!

I'm hanging in there ... but too freaking busy for my own good. I had conference calls nearly every day this week in my "off hours" ... and have worked 10 or more hours pretty much every day when you add it all up. Not to mention rehearsals for Sunday worship, which I'm leading, and preparing for next week's tv segment, which requires a LOT of prep time from me. And, of course, cooking and cleaning and running kids places and all that. Honestly, I'm exhausted. I would LOVE to have tomorrow off, but the boutique owner hasn't found anyone to replace me yet.

Next week I have my normal schedule, plus 2 conference calls, the new meetings I'm doing on Thursdays, prepping for the tv thing, the tv thing itself, and attending the benefit that I did those paintings for. I really think that night will be amazing ... I get to wear a formal gown and DANCE. Yay!

I totally forgot about a hair appointment and therapy session I had today ... I rescheduled them for 2 weeks out.

I'm feeling pretty drained. Tomorrow the cleaning ladies come, which means tonight I've been trying to get rid of clutter so that they can scrub everything down. And then my oldest daughter brought a bunch of friends over ... one of them is getting married tomorrow, and they wanted me to do the bouquets. So I did them ... one bridal, one maid-of-honor, and 3 bridesmaids.

And on it goes.

Sorry I've been so MIA ... I am reading, though, and praying for all of you. Love you all soooo much!

Dee74 04-26-2012 07:43 PM

sounds like another busy week in a series of busy weeks PBC - hows your recovery coping in all of this?

D

aussieblue 04-26-2012 08:37 PM

PBC, Wow that sounds hectic,make sure you make some ME time in there somewhere. Glad to hear from you.

LoftyIdeals 04-27-2012 03:23 AM

You remind me, PBC, of what I printed off last week and posted at my desk: Ecclesiastes 3. Yes, there is a time for everything. Be sure there is a time for you! I love to hear of your successes, but I worry, too.

Me? I'm praying for it to be "a time to be productive". I am having more good days than bad, and put together a string of "good" days over the last several weeks, but hit road bumps, like this week.

Peace!

frances2011 04-27-2012 03:50 AM

Morning!

Lofty, I love Bloom County and am really enjoying your avi right now.

Having little life-lessons about dealing with friends and conflict and hurt feelings. REALLY minor stuff, REALLY high school. But since Recovery is about about reclaiming and healing our character defects, this is the perfect lesson at the perfect time.

I *REALLY* don't do conflict. Childhood stuff. Some running friends are pushing and pulling in different directions. One is actively sulking and wants people to pay poor-baby attention to her. One is growing as a leader and achieving new goals. Another is retooling her fitness goals and it means less time with the group. One has learned about a serious heart condition and she might need to stop running altogether. (!!!) Running half marathons means that everyone is a bit tired and sore and maybe a little injured and it brings out the sharp points in our personalities.

It's like going on a long car trip with your family. There are inevitable conflicts. In my family of origin, there weren't tools to deal and recover. Just trauma.

SO, today is the day I try my best and do my best and TONIGHT we will celebrate our friend's 30th birthday!!!

*Yes part of this is that some of these women are younger, but since I'm actually emotionally immature in some ways, they are my perfect peer group.*

Cosmically perfect. Thank you Universe!

frances2011 04-27-2012 03:51 AM

Aussie, since you've had that good feeling, you KNOW it's possible to have more of it. I'm so happy for you!!!!!

Love and peace out to all the Marchers.

LoftyIdeals 04-27-2012 05:23 AM

Thanks for sharing, Frances. You are right, sobriety gives us the freedom to stretch and grow where before we would have suppressed, oppressed, obsessed, or excessed. And coming to a new understanding that we all are in some form of change in our lives; us and those around us, is part of that. It kind of keeps some spice in life.

Once you mentioned Bloom County, I remembered a similar story line to the one in my avi. I enjoyed that strip immensely as well. Our paper no longer carries it. The avi above is a cropped frame from Red and Rover, my new favorite. It's hard to read the print, which says, "some stars are just meant to shine brighter than others...to help light our way". I liked that one, and so did NASA, as they adopted the strip as their own. I like it because it's about an adventurous boy and his dog, and both like to stargaze. It's got my name written all over it!

Glad to hear these recent shares of growth and stretching out of the normal boundaries. It's nice.

Peace, Marchers! Keep plodding forward!

frances2011 04-27-2012 06:28 AM

I love that sobriety is showing me how I don't have all the answers and my perceptions are often liimited or distorted. It is immensely freeing to be in community with people where I can make mistakes, do my best, and apologize. I am very brittle about conflict, because it so often went SO badly for me, in my perception.

RED AND ROVER. Checking it out, thanks!

There's a Newbie thread where the OP doesn't like slogans. IMO the OP makes me realize how I can be an intellectual snob, all book-smart head, all "intelligence", all big words quick-comeback. The phrase "Terminally Unique." Hoo boy my AV wanted me to think I was completely separate, completely unhelpable, because of the unique, distinct, specific conditions of my situation.

Nope. Just a woman who can't drink alcohol. Like millions of others.

There's an Oldtimer named Rusty Zipper on the grats thread who has this AMAZING ability to respond succinctly and elegantly with 5 words where I would use 100. I admire him. (Assuming he's a he. Dee, do you know?)

NOW to work!

LoftyIdeals 04-27-2012 08:05 AM

I enjoy Rusty's posts as well. I've assumed Rusty's a he.

For me, sobriety is allowing me to lower my fences, and bring up that I don't drink in normal conversations. At my age (49) most folks I talk to are already realizing their human limitations, or have a long time ago. So, what I say comes as no surprise to most. It was a bigger deal when I was 23 and had sworn off booze for life.

I enjoy learning to be me, without apologies. It makes me real.

Enjoy your day, all! The sun shines on Cincinnati today!

mirage 04-27-2012 08:15 AM

Oh man...first time I lost a post here. Gahhhh!!!! I'll try again later.

mirage 04-27-2012 08:53 AM

Ok, it'll bother me if I don't do this again like NOW. I just had a chai tea and it's possible I'm hopped up on caffeine, so now might be a good time.

Wow pbc..good luck with your schedule, that would drive me crazy. I hope you get some down time soon so you can relax. Hang in there! :)

That is a cute avi, Lofty. I hope you're as productive as you'd like to be today! Sunny here today...you? (You already answered that, tho. lol)

Your avi is cute too, aussie. I know what you mean about wanting to bottle that feeling. Any way you can plan another day like that soon? Or maybe make it a semi-regular thing, like 3 weeks or something?

Funny frances, when you said, "Nope. Just a woman who can't drink alcohol. Like millions of others.". I tend to break things down like that a lot. Like when I'm over analyzing myself, or looking so deeply inward, or over thinking something or thinking of sobriety as a life altering event...sometimes I think, 'or I used to drink and now I don't'. ha. Of course there are other times when I want it to be a HUGE thing, too. lol What you said just reminded me of that. I hope the conflict fades with your friends, I know that's no fun!!

Daaaaaave...come back soon and make fun of me for wanting Robin when I was young!

The girls dinner was fun last night..8 of us. I ended up telling one of em that I don't drink anymore (which means it'll get around pretty quick, which is fine, of course.) I hadn't planned on mentioning it, but we're all going to a fund raiser tonight where the ticket includes beer and wine, so they were all talking about who's driving, or taking a cab, etc. and one girls flat out asked me what the dh and I are doing about that. (We're about 35 minutes from the event.) It's good they'll all know. It's a little hard for me still to come out with it, I guess. Just not into being a topic of conversation, I guess. So tonight should be fun, tomorrow we have B's soccer game, weather permitting. Supposed to be kinda ugly here tomorrow. I'd like the fam to go see The 3 Stooges on Sunday. That sounds like a fun way to spend the day with my favorite guys, doesn't it? :)

Have a great day, everyone!

btw...this didn't post again, but I was smart and copied it before I tried. TAKE THAT, SR!! ;)

lookinforward 04-27-2012 09:25 AM

Whizzing....that makes me laugh! I am so 13.
I am building a lot of stability with all of these other duties as needed at work. No work place is really safe....no matter how many years of experience you have.
Crappers.....here comes the flood! Of work that is.
Have a great day Marchers
Dave