SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of June 2011 Part 10 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/236613-class-june-2011-part-10-a.html)

Dee74 09-15-2011 04:42 PM

Class of June 2011 Part 10

continued from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-9-a-21.html

D

Tippingpoint 09-15-2011 07:04 PM

Just reading The Art Of Happiness. In the book the Dalai Lama speaks of the difference between pleasure and happiness. How pleasure is a fleeting and impermanent thing whereas happiness is something much more substantial and lasting. Happiness and not pleasure is the holy grail that we all seek or should be seeking.

On the topic of pleasures such as alcohol he notes how most people have a hard time "just saying no" - because of that word "no". The implication is that we are denying ourselves something...missing out on something. This is a problem of perspective he says...we shouldn't look at it as self denial. We should reframe our perspective so that we see not having that drink as moving towards the single greatest thing that any of us can hope to achieve in this life...happiness.

How powerful a statement is that?

I really liked it so I thought I should share. Hopefully I have done it justice here. I'll maybe take the time to post the actual passage when I'm not on my iPad.

Sleep beckons. Good night all.

Buelah 09-15-2011 07:30 PM

Awesome TP. I think that goes hand-in-hand with a lot of what Mariano has been telling us as well. Words to live by.

Time to work - one more late night this week, and hopefully back to normal (what is that?).

Hugs and love and sober dreams!

instant 09-16-2011 01:44 AM

TP that is great. When we don't drink, we can be in battle with the AV. The AV commands our attention, we are still having a relationship with alcohol. It is a battle and the only question is who will win.............this time. We are explaining what is happening in our lives as the absence of something we once held dear.

The alternative is to embrace sobriety completely, but think about this. What is the difference between embracing a sober life and just embracing LIFE in all it's totality not just the parts we find pleasing to us. To do this we have to be willing to learn.

Unlike Streams hurdles I imagine this as jumping out the alcohol party plane without a parachute and not knowing what is going to happen. I am in freefall. I now know I will not hit the ground and I can learn how to fly.

leo21 09-16-2011 06:30 AM

Happy Friday classmates!! The weekend is upon us once again. I hope everyone stays safe out there! Today is Day #112.

Man, I just realized I have almost wrapped up my first sober summer in nearly a decade.
:)

Buelah 09-16-2011 06:57 AM

Leo - good for you! Treat yourself to something you love! You deserve it!

Classical - I was reading about you being torn. That is where I think I keep finding myself. The idea of not drinking ever again, for special occasions and all....it almosts horrifies me. But, what's funny, is like yourself and many of us, as we "get through" these occasions, at the end of them, we find ourselves saying "what a wonderful time". Versus, "I love you Man". Or even if there are some tensions there for whatever reason, you are glad you were able to get over the trigger that tempted you to drink. We truly do not need alcohol to celebrate - at all! Seeing others drink doesn't seem to bother me, more than just my own mind saying "oh I love this song and I'm so happy, I'd love a drink". It's me that makes me want to drink. So, I have to get myself through those moments. And when I do, I'm thrilled I did it again. It's very liberating.

With the new Grandbaby, I've been wanting to celebrate by having cocktails. So many of our good friends have said "stop by Grandpa and Grandma and we'll buy you a drink". It's a nice offer, and they mean well, and I'd love to, but I will have a soda, thank you. I have to.

We are truly struggling with that same concept of not ever drinking again. But, we have to keep reminding each other, it's okay. Life is beautiful without it!!!

We have a major pig roast bash tomorrow we are going to. We will see lots of people that my hubby went to school with, worked with, and just knows from living in a small town his whole life. In fact, over 30 years ago, this is the guy he used to milk cows for. Any way....so there will be lots of people that want to celebrate his latest event of becoming a Grandpa. And we will be abstaining from alcohol. This type of event is one I would drink at to loosen up more than anything. I'm a social person, but I still get uncomfortable to a certain degree. Alcohol would so-call help. But, tomorrow, I am who I am. Buelah!!!!! Sober Buelah! And I have to remember, I'm okay with this. Classical - you will be, too!

Instant - wonderful post - embracing life in its entirety. It does take effort and you are right - a willingness to learn. Great post. Is one I will put in my memory permanently.

Well, no canning today! Hooray!

The weekend is upon us again - enjoy sobriety to the fullest.

Hugs and love!

StreamWader 09-16-2011 06:59 AM

TP, Instant, Classical and Leo - Thanks for those posts. Individually and collectively you have brought my spirits up and managed to stiffen my resolve for the week end. I have been feeling exceptionally weak and will need that resolve, I'm sure.

I have been ask to display my boat at the end of season celebration at the yacht club tommorrow. A lot of historical vessels from the Great lakes will be there. I have been mulling it over all week and finally committed yesterday. My wife and I have discussed it at length. I am going to set up an hour before the festivities start and then leave my boat in the capable hands of my boat building mentor and good friend. I have not been sailing or out to the club (OK, twice I drove by) this summer and know a lot of well meaning folk will want to buy me a drink. I have poured a summers worth of Wednesday's (and a considerable amount of Saturdays and Sundays) into the project and, although not 100% completed, Day Tripper has developed into a real beauty. I would really like to be there but it just isn't a very good idea for me right now.

StreamWader 09-16-2011 07:01 AM

Buelah - Just read your post and am adding you to the "Thanks for helping my resolve" list. I certainly admire your strength.

Buelah 09-16-2011 07:03 AM

Streamwader - would you mind posting a picture of your vessel? We'd love to see your hard work! Glad your spirits are up, and glad the gang was able to do it for you. It just shows how much we need to be here.

You know I do believe it doesn't matter if we've led sober lives or the ones we have, but these moods are always there. Whether, anxiety, depression, frustration, sadness....they all surface no matter what. But, with being alcoholics, it seems to intensify those feelings at times. It seems like an added burden at the time. But, it's not, it actually is what makes us stronger in the long run.

StreamWader 09-16-2011 07:11 AM

I will take a photo tomorrow and post. Currently there are a few photos in my photo album of the work as it was in progress.

Buelah 09-16-2011 07:12 AM

I've found that hiding myself from all these events will only make me more irritable and annoyed. I have to face these events one at a time. Just like the sober days. One at a time. Each one I go to, and have a great time sober, I leave saying "I'm so glad I went". You almost feel like you made this great achievement by not drinking, and honesly you have. It can be difficult - but it's finding pride in the fact that you are not drinking. Not holding it against those that are (if we did, we would have no friends, and we truly have some wonderful friends that love to drink). And letting yourself enjoy the time being around friends and family that fortunately, do not suffer the same addiction. And if they do, you hope they can find in themselves the need to change. But you have to go into it thinking that way. You can't think "Uggghhhh...every one will want to buy me a drink or get me a drink." Yep, they will, and you will politely decline, and if they give you sh*t as guys can do...you will deal with it. Trust me...you will. My hubby has had to deal with that more with not drinking than me, because people honestly did not realize how badly I was drinking. Whereas if you saw my hubby, there was a beer in his hand. Most of his buddies are cool with it, but the non-true friends are the ones giving him chin music. So, honestly, who cares - they aren't his true friends, just acquaintances. I too am a little apprehensive about this pig roast....but I'm thinking as positive as I can!!

Enjoy displaying your boat -you should be proud!!!

Buelah 09-16-2011 07:14 AM

I will take a peek in your album.

bblackbirdflyy 09-16-2011 08:49 AM

Well. Depressed doesn't even really cover it with me right now. TP. I want to achieve that kind of happiness so badly. I'm still sober after my last slip. Have no withdrawl feelings. I just want to hide under a rock. B is being pissy because I don't want to be his friend and all chummy with him right now. Telling me how I was the screw up in the relationship. I don't even want to talk about the damn relationship anymore. Its exhausting. Whatever I say holds no ground with him. I just keep my mouth shut. He knows I'm feeling sh*tty yet insists on cutting me down anyway. I just don't get it.

So. I'm feeling low. I've started walking. I think I went about 7 miles last night. I just want to hide under the covers. Had to fight with the AV last night. prob will have to again tonight.

Oh and stream looked at your boat! nice paint job!

Buelah 09-16-2011 09:53 AM

Hey Blackbird - hang in there. Being in a rough relationship is just that exhausting - wears you down and beats you up mentally. Remember I told you my ex- threatened to kill himself if I divorced him? I still had to make that move. I thought, yep that sums you up right there. You are going to hold a knife to my neck to the very end. I wouldn't allow it. I knew if he did do something so extreme than I had to remind myself it was not because of me. But, I knew it was his scare tactic. And it didn't work. I continued my move. And have never looked back since. Low and behold...he didn't kill himself. And if I stayed in that relationship with a threat like that, I would be living in hell right now.

Don't allow his negative words bring you down - it's what he's after. Shame on him. Rise above it. It will make you stronger. Trust me.

I've been thinking about you and hoping you were okay. I wish I could give you a big hug as it sounds like that is what you need.

Buelah 09-16-2011 10:30 AM

Oh my gosh, Streamwader - YOUR SAILBOAT IS MAGNIFICENT!!! I'm going to ask lots of questions. What year is it? How long have you had it? How long have you been sailing? And as you finish this, will you plan on brining it into the local harbors around Michigan when they have their antique boat shows (I'm assuming it's an antique)? You have to stand back and be proud of what you've done. And yes....I believe it was Bratnik sometime back made a comment about your smile. I love it! Your smile says it all. You are genuine, have a lot to offer others, and love with all your heart.

Mariano 09-16-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Classical (Post 3106466)
those old posts [...] weren't easy for me to read, but I clearly remember writing them almost three years ago.

Sorry, I just wanted to stress how tricky the mind can be.

Originally Posted by Classical (Post 3106466)
I slept well last night after taking one melatonin, 3mg. Maybe those work?

Melatonin has worked very well for me, and it is very, very safe (no side effects).

Originally Posted by leo21 (Post 3106476)
Happy Friday classmates!! The weekend is upon us once again. I hope everyone stays safe out there! Today is Day #112.Man, I just realized I have almost wrapped up my first sober summer in nearly a decade. :)

Congratulations, Leo on day 112. How are you doing in the tobacco department?
This has been my first sober summer in all my adult life.

Originally Posted by StreamWader (Post 3106508)
I have been feeling exceptionally weak and will need that resolve, I'm sure.

Strength comes from weakness, just like as an adult comes from a child.
Your boat is magnificent and your daughters look very, very nice.

Originally Posted by Buelah (Post 3106505)
The idea of not drinking ever again, for special occasions and all....it almosts horrifies me. But, what's funny, is like yourself and many of us, as we "get through" these occasions, at the end of them, we find ourselves saying "what a wonderful time". We truly do not need alcohol to celebrate - at all! Seeing others drink doesn't seem to bother me, more than just my own mind saying "oh I love this song and I'm so happy, I'd love a drink". It's me that makes me want to drink. So, I have to get myself through those moments. And when I do, I'm thrilled I did it again. It's very liberating.

We are truly struggling with that same concept of not ever drinking again. But, we have to keep reminding each other, it's okay. Life is beautiful without it!!!

We have a major pig roast bash tomorrow we are going to.

Buelah, I would encourage you to learn spanish if you are interested in it. In Spain the language is virtually the same as in Mexico. It is like british english and american english: they are very similar. Learning is very rewarding and may be very useful in maintaining sobriety. I am learning now Economics and find it very rewarding. As I don't drink now, I have much more time to do interesting things, instead of being drunk.

Sorry for being such a bore… I keep repeating the same thing. For an alcoholic, sobriety is not a loss, but a gain. And viceversa, alcohol is not something valuable that you lose, but a prison that limits your liberty. When was the last time that you woke up and thought: “Oh, how happy I am for having drunk yesterday. It was wonderful”.

The addictive brain is tricky and deceptive. This is related with the addiction mechanism and our primary or limbic brain. This limbic brain is responsible of regulating the basic instincts and drives: food, water, sleep… Alcohol and other drugs interfere in the functioning of the limbic brain, estimulating overflows of dopamine. So the limbic brain is deceived into considering that alcohol, as it liberates dopamine, is as important for life as food, water and rest. So it claims for alcohol (craving) with the same power and strength as it claims for food. Have you ever thought why it is so difficult to starve yourself deliberately? The limbic brain would not allow this, craving for food with all his energy.

This very same mechanism is implied in alcohol craving, as the brain has been deceived by a sustance (alcohol) that mimics the behaviour of the reward systems (dopamine). But the good news are that this is false. If you don’t drink, nothing happens. So if you don´t give up to a craving, the brain begins to learn something: alcohol is not necessary for living.

Moreover, our primary brain claims and whines with such strenght that forces the “rational” brain to fabricate a justification. This is called “rationalization”, that is, fabricating an idea that may seem acceptable and may justify drinking. That is why our rational mind elaborates weird justifications to drinking, despite the resolve to abstain from alcohol: “One won’t hurt”; “This is a very special celebration”; “everybody drinks”; “it is not such a big deal”….

Our brain also tries to allocate “magical” qualities to alcohol. We tend to think that not drinking will be a huge loss, that there will be no fun, that a bash without drinking is a nonsense… Obviously, all this is false, but it doesn’t matter. It pursues the goal to induce drinking, to convince ourselves that drinking is very important. This is also a “rationalization” of a basic drive: craving of alcohol. This rationalization makes alcohol consumption more acceptable to our rational brain: “Well, one will not hurt; this is a very special occassion”. Ha, ha, ha… The same lie lives forever. And, surprisingly, we keep believing this lie.

The way to escape of this vicious circle is teaching repeteadly to our brain that alcohol craving is not important, unlike food craving. It is very useful also to repeat to ourselves the resolution to abstain from alcohol, the reasons for it and the mechanism that the limbic brain uses to try to deceive us and lead us to drink. So this is the stupid mechanism that we have to dismantle.

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy (Post 3106635)
I want to achieve that kind of happiness so badly. I'm still sober after my last slip. Have no withdrawl feelings. I just want to hide under the covers. Had to fight with the AV last night. prob will have to again tonight.

Blackbirdfly, I am sorry you are having a hard time. All of us deserve happiness. I don’t know where is the secret of your happiness, but I do know that if you drink, you will never achieve it. I am sorry, but I have no further advice for you: only not drink, please. I think you are one of the younger of this group. If you stop now, you will spare many years of misery. You will be able to begin to search your happiness. Take care.

Buelah 09-16-2011 11:32 AM

Mariano - repeating yourself in different ways does not require an apology, it's beating up our alcoholic brain and that is good. I agree whoeheartedly. It does get better. And you are right. When I was throwing up and my sister-in-law was holding back my hair, I would sarcastically say "boy is this fun". The next day I would want to crawl in a hole. I don't miss it at all. My repetitive voice of I CAN DO THIS will have to continue to get stronger. And with your words ane every body's words here, it is that much easier.

Amazing how alcohol can control such a large portion of our brain....and we have no idea that it's happening along the way.

Well, have to go pick up dog poop - jealous aren't you?? 4 dogs...need I say more?

leo21 09-16-2011 12:52 PM

@mariano~~ i stopped the cigs the same time i stopped drinking. figured I would just kill two birds with one stone. Soooo 112 days nicotine AND booze free!! I feel so fresh and clean!! hahaha!! :wild

Mariano 09-16-2011 01:10 PM

I miss four persons: Sweetnovember, Violet , Chimp and DTracy. Where are you ? Come back, please.