SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of December 2010 pt 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/227686-class-december-2010-pt-7-a.html)

Hooped 06-05-2011 10:37 AM

I'd love to have a dog but I'm in a condo but they're not allowed in our condo complex. Only cats or birds.

So its just me and my old tomcat. Haven't got the little rasta shaved yet...he doesnt appear to be in any discomfort or anything he just looks kinda ridiculous.

Need to get him some meds just to get him down to the vet though he simply does not want to leave home without a fight and he can get quite nasty.

Still get cravings here too. Friday night was pretty intense but I just rode it out and they eventually do vanish. Went to 2 AA meetings yesterday, might hit another one tonight. The meetings really do help me for sure in staying on track.

MJ I never really thought of step 5 with a therapist but I realize I've probably been doing just that. Interesting that I'm actually working the 12 steps without even realizing it. Making ammends is gonna be a tough on for me. There is literally decades of negative crap to go through.

Counsellor on Tuesday and I intend to high 5 her cuz that'll be 30 days!

I've picked up how to play this song on my Gibson:

Riding through this world
All alone
Gotta chase your soul
You're on your own

The crow flies straight
A perfect line
On the devils bed
Till you die

Gotta look this life
In the eye

Hang in folks hope you all have a great day!

Soph 06-05-2011 12:50 PM

Hi guys, nice to read all your posts.

MGF how was your walk? You are not usually a walker! I walk my dogs a lot but hardly ever go walking with a pal. It's a nice and healthy way to be with people because you can talk, unlike running. And to segue to R+A's comment, yes this path is definitely kind of "destination" question mark but there are some destinations we know we WON'T be!...Like sick in the morning, and anxious about what happened the night before...etc.

Which leads me to MJ...I know what you mean about that "relaxing" first or 2nd glass of wine, believe me, but am so glad you rode it out and ate some food and felt better. Food always, always helps my cravings!

I am looking forward to being in the place without that idea of "relaxing" or "loosening" without alcohol help. It makes me mad that I ever even started liking the damn stuff. I mean, I was a pretty loose and relaxed kid! And teenager. So why in the world I have felt this need to medicate myself into "feeling good" is just nonsense. I keep reminding myself that!

So all you folks are all SOA'ing up a storm. I might be the only holdout, along with Grampers. I feel the siren's call of SoA soon though. As soon as I get through some great books I am reading, probably. So no spoilers guys!:tapping

Everyone have a sober Sunday. You won't regret it!!:c031:

Maryjan 06-05-2011 12:52 PM

Whatcha reading?

Soph 06-05-2011 12:56 PM

MJ, I have become quite obsessed with Jo Nesbo. He is from Norway and has been writing these awesome crime thrillers (like Steig Larssen but different) and the main detective, Harry Hole, is actually an alcoholic!!

I have read all the past ones and am now in the midst of his newest "The Snowman" and I am savouring it!

Am always open to suggestions, too!!!

mygrandfather 06-05-2011 03:20 PM

Reading In the Garden of Beasts.

Had a nice long walk last night, today was a long bike ride with a couple of friends. As much as I feel antisocial these days, I was disappointed that my friend's husband did not join us. Was such a perfect day.

MJ, yep, I am with you on the missing out feeling. That is one of the biggies for me. But then I always always go back to the fact that the second one will be the beginning of something more, the search for three, four...way more than everyone else.

BoozeFree 06-05-2011 07:04 PM

Hi guys! thought I would jump online while my spaghetti sauce simmers. MJ hope your goldie feels better! Surgery on dogs that old always harder on em.

Hooped congrats on hittin the 30 this week! I'll be doin the same!

I saw bridesmaids again today with a friend that hadnt seen it yet, it was still super funny the 2nd time.

Maryjan 06-05-2011 07:20 PM

Headed to the library tomorrow...will check out Nesbo. Had a nice time at a dinner party where lots of wine was poured and the sweet host came up with a can of seltzer and filled my glass to the brim. Drove my boys home sober and happy.

Maryjan 06-05-2011 07:28 PM

Girl, how are you doing this Sunday night?

ReadyAndAble 06-06-2011 06:23 AM

Happy Monday, folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend.

mygrandfather 06-06-2011 06:56 AM

Have a great week everyone. Still feeling positive despite occassional moments of angst. Eh, story of my life.

Later this week DC goes into full furnace mode.

BoozeFree 06-06-2011 07:09 AM

Good morning. Another weekend over.

hope everyone has a good day!

ViciousCycle 06-06-2011 08:16 AM

and the main detective, Harry Hole,
Harry Hole? :a213:

Gosh, I see I am not alone with the antisocial feeling........."missing out." But you're right MGF.......it will just lead to the search for the next one....why can't we just be content with a couple? That feels like the kickoff to me......not the whole game....ya know?

MJ, what a great and aware host to pour you that seltzer. Usually the non-drinkers have to fend for themselves.

Have a good day peeps.

PS, we need a picture of that cat, Hooped......I have such a vision.....lol.

Soph 06-06-2011 08:30 AM

I know VC - apparently in Norway it's pronounced "Ho-lay" to at least that's a bit better...! Lol.

Happy Monday everyone. MGF the angst happens and then passes, story of all of our lives.

A friend of mine was telling me about this book she's into called "Connected" about the power of social networks and how they are shaping our lives. I am interested in reading it now...esp given my SR experience which has been more important and fulfilling to me than FB by any stretch. In fact I rarely am on FB, really just go to check my son's wall or to see what faraway friends are doing! But I don't even have a wall anymore...just got tired of it.

Recovery is the journey not the destination. One step, one hour, one minute at a time for me! Ciao for now guys!

ViciousCycle 06-06-2011 08:34 AM

http://inferiorblog.com/wp-content/u...dreadlocks.jpg

GirlFromCO 06-06-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle (Post 2991678)
Harry Hole? :a213:

Oh god, thanks I thought I was the only one with my mind in the gutter.

Stayed sober last night! Took a benadryl and fell asleep at 9:30, lol. I definitely felt some cravings, but nothing too bad. Anyway, they're just cravings. Doesn't mean I have to listen to them.

Along with MGF and VC I'm also starting to look at relationships. Finding the same thing you guys are. With the exception of the Big One (by that I mean my future husband) all of my friendships were made around alcohol. By and large, these people are basically losers. Hate to put it that way, but it's true. I still love them, but they're not who I turn to when I need to to talk about my goals. We don't motivate each other to succeed. We mostly just talk about their weekends.

So here's my new task: Learn how to make vital and mutually sustaining relationships, without using alcohol. Sounds easy, right? :rotfxko

ReadyAndAble 06-06-2011 11:40 AM

Making new ties—I still need to work on that. I cut some old ones pretty cleanly—not fun but had to be done. There's a song by Abigail Washburn that speaks to this for me. I don't know if it's actually about recovery—maybe just about making life changes? But it definitely reminded me of how certain relationships had to be left behind, because even though we had our fun, it was time to move on...

"Burn Through"

It started out simple, started out clean
like a starlit night with the smell of rain.
The days stacked up and the air grew thin
gravity pulling, pulling me down in.
Push up from the bed ‘til my feet hit the floor
dreamt I was running through a field of fog.
There’s shadows in my tracks
but I ain’t looking back at the rest of you.

Hey I’m trying so hard to see the light,
to see the light, to see it burn thru.
I’m not going down like the rest of you.
I’m not going down with the rest of you.

GirlFromCO 06-06-2011 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for you, Hooped.

GirlFromCO 06-06-2011 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And another. I couldn't help it :)

ReadyAndAble 06-06-2011 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't be silly. Everybody knows cats like to keep their dreads under a hat.

Hooped 06-06-2011 01:48 PM

lol
ok.. here is my little buddy

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_0002.jpg

He is laying on his travel trailer, his favourite place to nap, but it would take full body armour to get him inside it.