SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   The Gratitude List (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/)
-   -   DG's Gratitude List (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/290751-dgs-gratitude-list.html)

DG0409 04-10-2013 07:16 AM

DG's Gratitude List

Today I am thankful for:
  • 1 Day Alcohol Free
  • spring
  • coffee
  • new beginnings
  • internet forums

Pedro1234 04-10-2013 09:56 PM

Good luck moving forward. I day at a time :)

1newcreation 04-10-2013 10:18 PM

Wow! giving up 2 bad habits in about the same time is great. Welcome & congrats on 2 days sober. I don't know if u've joined AA or not but if u haven't PLEASE do to keep the streak going. Just listen to what people share in meetings & make a decision if you've finally arrived "home" or not. I hope you have.

DG0409 04-11-2013 07:27 AM

Thanks Pedro and 1newcreation!

1newcreation- unfortunately I travel a good deal so it's not really very easy for me to join an AA group- and if I did I'd never be around to show up to it, so I'll have to settle for online support, I think. I have read some of the AA literature though and it is helpful.

DG0409 04-11-2013 07:31 AM

This morning, I am thankful for:
  • TWO days alcohol free!!... Moving on to day 3!
  • Sunshine
  • Having gotten my taxes done
  • my cats
  • my family
  • my home
  • lots of cool places to go in the world

Sasha4 04-11-2013 07:50 AM

I would do anything for some sunshine today!
My skies are grey, grey and more grey.

Congratulations to you

xxxx

DG0409 04-11-2013 08:50 AM

You should come visit here, Sasha. We have like 360 sunny days a year. :)

cristoirfinn 04-11-2013 11:22 AM

Well done my friend. The best is yet to come for you!

Chris

1newcreation 04-11-2013 02:28 PM

Anything is better than nothing! Chk in whenever possible

DG0409 04-12-2013 06:09 AM

Today I'm thankful for:
  • 3 Days Done!!! Onto Day 4!
  • having a nice quiet morning to myself
  • starting to feel healthier
  • people I look up to
  • 102 days free from cigarettes
  • having a new day ahead of me

DG0409 04-13-2013 06:02 AM

Today I am thankful for:
  • waking up not hungover!!
  • Having 4 days no alcohol!!
  • sunshine and spring
  • comedy and jokes
  • friends & family
  • recovery
  • thinking more clearly

cristoirfinn 04-13-2013 07:56 AM

Well done. Stick in there.

Opivotal 04-13-2013 09:23 AM

Hi DG0409!

Your posts are so enlightening! 4 days and moving along, good for you. :)

:You_Rock_

DG0409 04-14-2013 07:06 AM

Today I'm thankful for:
  • A quiet morning alone
  • not being hung-over this morning
  • the sweating stopped!! Except for when I'm supposed to sweat, like when I work-out.
  • 5 days alcohol free & moving on to Day 6!!!
  • Not getting trashed last night when the first bad feeling came along
  • Not getting trashed last night when the second, and third bad feelings came along...
  • Crying and feeling OK afterward
  • long walks
  • the ducks!!

Opivotal 04-14-2013 08:38 AM

Have a great day DG! I'm routing for you. :hug:

DG0409 04-14-2013 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by opivotal (Post 3916566)
Have a great day DG! I'm routing for you. :hug:

:c017:

1newcreation 04-14-2013 09:12 PM

You can do it man!

DG0409 04-15-2013 05:56 AM

Today I am thankful for:
  • waking up in a beautiful place
  • birds chirping outside
  • a gorgeous morning in the country
  • trying new things
  • tonight will be 1 week no alcohol!!
  • I have lots of strengths to help get me through this: courage, intelligence, perseverance, commitment, determination, passion, a desire to live my life and really be a good person, a desire for progress.
  • I am not facing my problems by getting trashed. It sucks having problems still, but at least I'm not causing myself brain-damage over them now.

Opivotal 04-15-2013 08:35 AM

Wow, one week is terrific DG! Keep up the great work. Your posts always make me smile. I love your positivity. :hug:

Best Wishes To You!

DG0409 04-16-2013 05:57 AM

Today I am thankful for:
  • Starting on week 2 alcohol free!
  • Texas
  • Staying at a place in the country for a few days
  • fresh air
  • sunshine
  • birds
  • trees
  • butterflies
  • wild-flowers
  • the pond out back
  • having great people around (but not too many of them)
  • having my hair cut yesterday
  • hiking trails by the lake
  • waking up and having an easier time coming up with things I am thankful for!

DG0409 04-17-2013 08:26 PM

Tonight, I am thankful for:
  • 9 Days alcohol free!!
  • a slightly productive day
  • a nice, cool evening breeze
  • clearer thoughts
  • thinking it's actually kind of nice to not be passed-out drunk, but awake posting crap online late at night... when was the last time I really DID or THOUGHT something at night?... I don't remember. It feels...good.
  • people I like
  • music
  • starting to take better care of myself
  • starting to feel better about myself and think better things about myself
  • being able to think more clearly about problems in my life
  • recovery... it feels good. I have more hope again.
  • the depression has lifted- so much of the darkness and pain in my brain has faded
  • learning what makes me feel bad- the darkness and pain start to come creeping back awful fast if I'm hungry or let my thoughts go places they shouldn't... but I can monitor these things!

1newcreation 04-18-2013 01:52 PM

Keep doing it. Don't quit or let up b4 you're miracle happens

DG0409 04-19-2013 07:02 AM

Today I'm thankful for:
  • 10 days alcohol free & working on day 11!
  • starting to feel much better
  • being able to go drive & do things at night
  • It's Friday!
  • I have a new place to stay to try out for a few days this weekend!
  • I found a great restaurant I never knew about before in the middle of nowhere
  • the people out here are all super friendly, well, most of 'em anyway
  • I woke up feeling happy and with energy
  • I get to feel proud about not drinking rather than thinking I need to quit

DG0409 04-20-2013 06:17 AM

This morning I am thankful for:
  • It's Saturday!!
  • Woke up some place absolutely gorgeous. The place I was planning to stay was a real dump, so I found a different place. I never would have done that before. I just would have gotten trashed in the dump until I didn't care that it was a dump.
  • It's a nice day out
  • It is so peaceful here
  • I have 11 days alcohol free!! On to day 12!
  • The only things I can hear are the wind and the birds (at least if I stop typing).

DG0409 04-21-2013 07:08 PM

Today I'm thankful for:
  • 13 days alcohol free!
  • I won't wake-up hungover!!
  • Made it through the weekend.
  • I DREAM at night again... how strange to dream like normal people rather than pass out blank.
  • I found someplace I really like this weekend!
  • I had a quiet, relaxing weekend to myself to deal with my issues & work on my recovery.
  • The pain in my brain has subsided.
  • I have something to be PROUD of myself for!
  • I made a 'to-do' list for the day and got pretty much everything crossed off!

DG0409 04-22-2013 08:48 PM

Tonight I'm thankful for:
  • 2 Weeks Alcohol free!
  • Having a good day today!
  • Getting work done today
  • feeling more sane
  • getting more used to this
  • having had a really nice walk tonight
  • music
  • SR
  • opivotal, Rusty Zipper, & 1newcreation for following this thread and supporting me :)

Opivotal 04-22-2013 09:39 PM

Congratulations DG, 2 weeks is fantastic! You are rocking sobriety. I'm so very happy for you. Keep up the great work. :)

:c011:

Best Wishes To You!

Rusty Zipper 04-23-2013 03:52 AM

2 weeks is huge DG!

keep up the work,

cant say good work, as to keep up the humility bit you know! lol

DG0409 04-24-2013 07:20 PM

Today has been a bit of a struggle, so I thought more than ever I need to focus on what I'm thankful for a bit tonight:
  • 16 Days Alcohol free!! :D I am SUPER PROUD of myself.
  • My over-all health is improving. I have been working out a little, eating well, drinking water, sleeping decent hours, etc. I feel better. I think I must look better.
  • My emotions are WAY more stable. I've had my ups and downs, I've cried several times through this, etc. BUT it hasn't been the way out of control almost psychotic moods I had when drinking. And when I DO feel bad, I am much more able to let it go, or think it through if need be and then let it go. Plus I'm able to take care of myself and go for a walk or calm down in a rational manner.
  • My thoughts are clearing up. I can tell my brain is still healing because at times, I struggle with 'brain-fog' but I AM processing a lot more information and able to think more clearly about things. My ability to concentrate and remember things and learn new stuff has grown, too. I can even remember the name of somebody I met today. :)
  • I am starting to DEAL with the things in my life that need DEALT with, not DROWNING my stress in alcohol and putting stuff off more.
  • I had a nice walk this evening. I used to go for walks at night all the time, but it seems like it's been forever since I did much of that. It's nice to see the stars and moon and just walk around and relax after the day.
  • Even though it wasn't the best day, I never seriously considered drinking.
  • Even if it wasn't fun, I got stuff done that I needed to do and at least now, I don't have to worry about it anymore. It's nice to have that stuff done rather than worrying about needing to do it.

DG0409 04-25-2013 07:04 PM

Things I'm thankful for tonight:
  • 17 days alcohol free!!! :)
  • I had a nice walk
  • I'm half-way ready for tomorrow. :)
  • I re-stocked up on healthy snacks. I am actually buying healthy food again and eating well. My calories come from real stuff instead of alcohol. As a drunk, I used to buy more food than I'd ever eat too and then drink instead and the food I imagined I would eat would go bad.
  • I'm starting to do more little things that make life better than I did when I was drinking/hungover ALL the time- washing the windshield at the gas station more often, not leaving empty cups or trash in the car when I get out, etc.
  • I actually bought a book today and read a chapter... looking forward to reading more before bed. I can't remember when I last read a book before bed instead of getting trashed drunk.
  • I went for a walk after I got into my motel room tonight. It used to be when I traveled, I'd never see anything outside the motel room after I got in.
  • I managed to make a 'to-do' list and get everything crossed-off. Planning the day is becoming easier again. I'm starting to be productive again.
  • I was moderately productive so far as work was concerned.
  • I really have a pretty good life, all things considered. I'm a lot better off than tons of other people, and I'm really very fortunate for what I have. Sometimes I forget this, but when I was out walking, I was walking through a neighborhood that isn't as nice as mine and it made me remember how fortunate I really am for my life.
  • Tomorrow will be day 18. I have a productive day at work scheduled and no choice but to stick to it, so I know I'll get a lot done. I'm prepared with healthy snacks so that I won't end up starving and cravey while stressed & busy.
  • It's almost bed-time and I have the presence of mind to actually think things, not just pass-out/fall asleep really drunk. More than that, I can think positive thoughts about tomorrow and I've actually prepared for it somewhat so it should be a good day.
  • I had a cool thing happen today. I was about to take off from my motel and I was counting my change wondering if I had enough to take the toll roads or if I needed to get cash somewhere. A couple of guys came up and asked if I had jumper cables and if I'd help them jump their car. Most of the time, I don't 'help' people who come up to me asking me for something when I'm traveling. But generally they're asking for money and I don't have any extra since I spent it all on alcohol. They were a little rough looking, but I agreed to give them a jump... I figure it's good karma and I'll need a favor from somebody else someday when I'm stranded. Afterward, they gave me a few dollars for my trouble and then I knew I had enough money for the toll road. :)