SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   It's been awhile; positive news about son. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/209824-its-been-awhile-positive-news-about-son.html)

HurtingDad 09-24-2010 01:18 PM

It's been awhile; positive news about son.

It's been awhile since I posted. I've been lurking seeing the good news and the bad. Today my 23 AS is starting into a program for Abstinance from Methadone. He's been on it about 2 years now, via a clinic in NYC. Was homeless before that and since then has been living in a basement with another 'friend he met'.

As you might expect his life hasn't been great, but with the exception or rotting teeth, HEP C in remission, minor outstanding warrants (loitering, hanging out in drug areas)--he's come through relatively OK.

The last few months he's talked about how disgusted he is with his life. I thought it was just another con, but he made the calls, did the interviews and he's going back in. I say back in because this is a program he walked away from about 3 years ago after about 7 good months.

I told him this is great to hear, but now I don't celebrate until something is completed, not just talked about or started. He knows we've heard to much bull.

Just wanted to share this news. I send blessings to all of those whose journies I've followed online, new and old. When I first started on this forum about 3 years ago, I was a deer in the headlights. For better or worse I've been a seasoned traveler on this journey. I have certainly learned a lot. My son's addiction has been about 6 years.

Be well everyone....prayers to all.

Bruce

keepinon 09-24-2010 02:44 PM

that is wonderful that he wants more and is doing what it takes for his recovery:grouphug:

tjp613 09-24-2010 04:10 PM

I'll add you to my ever-growing prayer list, Bruce.... you and your precious son. ((((Hugs))))

litehorse 09-24-2010 05:01 PM

bruce - i am so glad to hear that some positive steps are being taken - you and your son will be in my prayers -

lunaa 09-24-2010 05:22 PM

I'm so glad to hear your news.Brings hope to myself and certainly more faith.
I hope his life gets better with recovery.
My prayers for you.

BBD 09-24-2010 07:21 PM

Its always wonderful hearing stories toward the road to recovery. positive energy coming your way and your sons....smiles, Bonnie

gotahavfaith 09-24-2010 08:02 PM

Here is to hoping that our kids "get" it this time.

Happy to hear he is taking those positive steps. I hope it gives you some peace.

Gotahavfaith

Impurrfect 09-24-2010 11:37 PM

(((Bruce))) - SO glad to hear an update from you!! You're a good dad, and you and your son are in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

Ann 09-25-2010 04:39 AM

This is indeed good news...and yes, he hasn't completed it yet but there is hope in even the effort to try again.

Keeping you and your boy in my prayers.

Hugs

Kindeyes 09-25-2010 08:20 AM

Thank you for sharing your good news. Let's rejoice in today and let's not worry about the "may or may not happens" of the future. Today is bright and I am hopeful for your son. He will be in my prayers and you too!

gentle hugs

Freedom1990 09-25-2010 04:48 PM

It's good to read you, Bruce. :)

I do understanding having heard all the BS before, and not celebrating anything at this point.

greeteachday 09-25-2010 07:41 PM

Good to hear from you and I am very happy that you both are doing well. I've always looked to your wisdom and the compassion you show while still maintaining boundaries. Thank you!

mooselips 09-25-2010 08:07 PM

I think this is very encouraging news.
The fact that he did it all on his own, makes it all the more encouraging.

Hugs and hugs, and thank you for sharing.

HurtingDad 09-26-2010 08:33 AM

Thanks everyone. It's great to hear from old friends and from new ones. You are all in my prayers.

:ring
Bruce

JMFburns 09-27-2010 02:06 PM

Thanks Bruce for sharing the update about your son and also your openness about your own feelings.

I keep you and your son in my thoughts when praying.

Joan