SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Plumbing grease under my fingernails... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/140972-plumbing-grease-under-my-fingernails.html)

outonalimb 01-05-2008 02:41 PM

Plumbing grease under my fingernails...

Okay...

This is way off topic...

But I am so dang proud of myself tonight. :c014: You see, my toilet has been acting up. Badly. And I have a one bathroom home so the situation was kind of dire. It wouldn't stop running. Honestly, I broke out into a cold sweat.

"I don't know nothin' 'bout fixing no toilets" I cried (in my best gone with the wind voice).

After running thru a list of names of people I might call to come bail me out of the situation, I decided to give it a go.

I drove to the hardware store, I purchased anything I thought might fix the problem and I faced the enemy. I completely disassembled the whole thing and actually managed to put it all back the right way. It works !! It really and truly works !!

Who says a single mom can't repair her own toilet??? pppssshhhaaawww...This one can !!!

I am woman. Hear me ROAR !!!!!:e025:

peaceteach 01-05-2008 02:47 PM

Cheering you on here, girl! I used to get downright tearful, swearing under my breath at my ex when faced with "man" work. Now I just man-up and figure it out like you. Way to go, Out!

cece1960 01-05-2008 02:53 PM

Yeah...you go girl

Be careful though...It all starts with the toilet.
Next thing you know your kids are getting you a sawzaw and your tearing up the whole bathroom!

Done_With_It 01-05-2008 02:58 PM

That is so AWESOME!

I installed the water/ice line in our apartment for our fridge!
I know how awesome it feels when you are done!!

You should buy a Dremmel! You can build a house with one of them things, I tell ya!

outonalimb 01-05-2008 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Done-With-It (Post 1627459)
You should buy a Dremmel!

What in the heck is a dremmel ???

Wow...the water line, huh? So you had to drill a hole thru the floor for that ?? I bow before you!!

Ya see, I just redecorated this bathroom. I painted it a beautiful light aqua blue. My bathroom looks like a spa !! I sewed new curtains last weekend. My best friend gave me new towels...so its really pretty now...

I think I'll go soak in my tub and stare lovingly at my porcelain throne !! Ha Ha
:Dance7:

nytepassion 01-05-2008 03:07 PM

I thought I heard a roar. I looked around and looked around and looked some more .. I could not figure out for the life of me where it came from .. I even began to doubt my own ears .. found myself slipping into deep denial and whatdoYAknow, It was you all along!

Grapevine has it that you are a plumber in the making ;)

Way to go :Dance7:

Lobo 01-05-2008 03:09 PM

I know the feeling of satisfaction when we fix things around the house and we succeed.
I too am single and I do a lot of fix it's by myself. My latest was installing a new shower head. Works like a charm. Never underestimate the power of a single woman with a house to take care of.

You go girl..............Lo

outonalimb 01-05-2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by nytepassion (Post 1627472)
Grapevine has it that you are a plumber in the making ;)

Well...actually...tomorrow I do have to cement some PVC pipe together under my kitchen sink. Plumbers make alot of money, don't they? Hhhmmmmm....:c024:

outonalimb 01-05-2008 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by happysoul (Post 1627501)
I gotta hire an electrician later this month...that one i'm not willing to tackle alone!

No, no...electricity's waaayyyy to scary !! Ugh...electricians probably make as much as plumbers. :c025:

havehope 01-05-2008 04:24 PM

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

I learned a lot from my dad and used it when I was divorced! It may take me a lot longer to complete, but it sure builds your self esteem! My dad got a little nervous when I purchased my own power tools!!
Plumbers do make a lot of $$, aren't they the ones that always have droopy pants? if you know what I mean!.
You would be a very stylish plumber I am sure! lol
No "cracks" showing lol
GOOD FOR YOU!!! So proud of you

outonalimb 01-05-2008 04:43 PM

My dad got a little nervous when I purchased my own power tools!!
OMG...thats so funny ! My sister helped me put shelving up in a few of my closets over Christmas and I had to purchase my first power tool for that job...an electric drill !!

You would be a very stylish plumber I am sure! lol
No "cracks" showing lol
ha ha...most definitely NO CRACKS !!!!!:c022:

Ann 01-05-2008 05:28 PM

As a lady with her very own tool chest, I am cheering you on.

When my husband was working out west, I learned how to do lots of stuff I never thought I would be able to do and it made me feel very good to do it.

I think women pay better attention to detail and probably do a better job...oh, I'm going to get hammered if Best or any of the fellas are around. :D

Hugs

FEP 01-05-2008 05:30 PM

Taking on plumbing is no small chore but hey! What about us men?
The other day I made waffles from scratch they turned out perfect and my daughter loved them.
They tasted just like the ones my mother made when I was a kid.
The best thing was that the kitchen kept clean and I wasn’t covered from head to toe in flour.

outonalimb 01-05-2008 05:38 PM

The other day I made waffles from scratch they turned out perfect and my daughter loved them.
FEP...nice work on the waffles !! Thats a memory your daughter will always have of you...an image of her dad making waffles in the kitchen. Good for you. She's a lucky little girl.

And, Ann...I totally agree with you I actually followed the directions (something MOST men don't do)...

Tee Hee...Now I'm gonna get hammered right along with you !!:a096:

mooselips 01-05-2008 08:03 PM

OOAL,
Wouldn't that be "I am woman hear me FLUSH?" :lmao

I have a dremmel, you buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. It's small so it's perfect for a womans hands. I made toothbrush rug needles out of oak, and finished them after using my dremmel.

Have you ever refinished furniture? I really like to do that, and refinish wood floors, now, plumbing, I sure don't think I'd be too good at that.

Hugs,

marteen 01-05-2008 08:24 PM

Why, sugar, that was just about the best darn imitation ah ever heard!

"I don't know nothin' 'bout fixing no toilets" I cried (in my best gone with the wind voice).
You done yourself and the rest of us ladies right proud!!!! I have a toilet that runs on, too and I don't know what to do? Mr. M doesn't have the time to deal with it and it is driving me crazy. Do you travel??

Hugs,
Marteen

outonalimb 01-05-2008 08:32 PM

I have a dremmel, you buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. It's small so it's perfect for a womans hands.
Okay...I'm thinking its something like a sander ???

I made toothbrush rug needles out of oak, and finished them after using my dremmel.
My, my Moose...I am intrigued...what in the heck are toothbrush rug needles??

This is turning into such an informative thread.:c029: