SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Plumbing grease under my fingernails... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/140972-plumbing-grease-under-my-fingernails.html)

marteen 01-05-2008 08:43 PM

My, my Moose...I am intrigued...what in the heck are toothbrush rug needles??
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out what in the world those could be?

greeteachday 01-05-2008 09:08 PM

Way too go OOAL!!! Doesn't it feel great to do it all yourself?

My best plumbing secret is....sssshhhh...Duct Tape. There isn't a pipe leak it can't cure. When I was a single mom on a super tight budget, I lived in a really old duplex (central heat was a big heating register btween living room and dining room...no heat upstairs other than what would rise.) I kept that whole house together with duct tape...honest!

greeteachday 01-05-2008 09:18 PM

This style rug is commonly called a “toothbrush” rug because it's constructed with a needle originally made by cutting the head off a toothbrush and filing the end down to a point. Toothbrushes weren’t widely used until 1938 but these rugs were made long before that by using a needle (shuttle) whittled down from a piece of wood or bone.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...toothbrush.jpg

Dremel Moto-Tool is the name given to rotary tools developed by Albert J. Dremel, who founded the Dremel Company in 1932 in Racine, Wisconsin. In 1993 it was purchased by Robert Bosch GmbH, and today it is a division of the Robert Bosch Tool Corporation and located in Mount Prospect, Illinois. They are extremely versatile tools and are used extensively by model makers, hobbyists, and do-it-yourselfers. They may be likened to the pneumatic die grinders used in the metalworking industry by tool or moldmakers.

The Dremel tool rotates a bit at high speed; the bit is held in a collet. Variable-speed versions may cover a range of 3,000–35,000 RPM. The Dremel uses its speed as opposed to torque to get the job done. By inserting an appropriate bit (or burr) the tool can perform drilling, grinding, sharpening, cutting, cleaning, polishing, sanding, routing, carving and engraving. Both battery-powered and corded models are available. Recent additions to the line of Dremel options include a miniature planer attachment and a saber saw attachment that lets the Dremel act much like a small reciprocating saw.

sjr 01-05-2008 11:05 PM

OHHHHH!!!!! you have to get a dremmel!!! very fun!! you'll be suprised at all the stuff you can do!! i too have my own tool box. complete with every power tool you can think of. well, almost. i don't have a chainsaw or anything!lol...........

O BY THE WAY~~

WOMEN WITH POWER TOOLS!! THAT'S HOT!!
(at least that what i've been told by the boyfriend that was very suprised when i had all my own tools) lol:)

single girls definately learn how to figure things out for themselves don't we!
i still have AAA...i aint changin' a tire:)

mooselips 01-06-2008 10:04 AM

If you've ever used a handheld battery thing, to file, and buff your nails, that's about the size of a dremmel.

You can do ALL sort sof stuff with them, sand little things, cut things, wood, and metal!

It's a FUN tool!

Elana 01-06-2008 12:18 PM

As a former farmer I had to do a LOT of stuff.. but mostly on the farm and in the barn.. you know.. if it ws ugly no one cared. They cared if it worked or not, period.

so. I did a lot.. most of it ugly although i did a lot of galvanized pipe cutting and threading.

Fast forward to me buying the house I have now. It has sulfur water (not hard water) and I got a water treatment system to deal with that (for those who do not know, sulfur water is not caused by a mineral but by a bacteria that carries the mineral. The bvacteria is harmless, but the water smells like rotten eggs and the sulfur bearing bacteria leave a slime on the plumbing that is unhealthy for the plumbing).

anyway.. so I get in the house and get the water system installed (by the water treatment people). I decide to clean all the plumbing stuff I can reach inside toilet tanks etc to get rid of the sulfure bacteria slime.

I am on toilet #2 (there are 3 bathrooms in this house.. a whole nother story). I take the lid off the toilet tank and it slips. OMG.. toilets are FRAGILE porcelain things.. and if you drop them or drop other things on them they break. They break like glass.. like a coffee mug.. like a platter.. well you get the idea....

So, said lid hits the toilet right where the bowl and tank meet and voila.. toilet is smashed.....

There is no feeling like this n earth. Well maybe the feeling you get whent he toilet is stopped up and you flush and by golly you KNOW it is going to over flow... and you watch it and all you can think is "where is the REWIND BUTTON??"

Indoor plumbing, while the same principal as barn plumbing has some major differences. First of all it has to FIT and second of all it is mostly PEX or copper or something not galvanized....

Well, you know, after the initial shock wore off, I went to Home Depot and just got another toilet. I called and asked what to measure (the distance from the hole in the floor to the wall is the critical measurment BTW... ) and I replaced the toilet. I even have a water saver toilet and it is a little taller off the floor so it easier to get off of...

So yeah, I know how it feels to tackle something and get 'er done after the initial shock of deciding you HAVE to do it.

BTW OOAL.. if you ever get stuck for a toilet or a bathroom.. did I mention.. I have THREE? come on over... as long as you clean 'em you can use 'em....