SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   OT Buying my own apartment YAY!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/257161-ot-buying-my-own-apartment-yay.html)

Tuffgirl 07-10-2012 09:56 AM

TC, I am glad you are giving it a try. Might I suggest a few months instead of a few weeks? A lot can happen in a few months (like those neighbor dogs move to another part of town).

There are pros and cons to every place - large, small, noisy, quiet. I would have loved some land for my dogs to run around on, but that meant 1. higher house payments, and 2. more maintenance, and 3. isolation from potentially kind and helpful neighbors. I chose the neighborhood with homes close to each other, and although I can hear noise, my fan and white noise machine block that out when I need quiet. Instead of feeling frustrated with having neighbors in their backyard looking at me in my backyard, I have become friends with them instead. Now we chat when we are outside together.

I guess the point to my post is that instead of focusing on everything wrong, I spun it positively and sure enough, it became a positive place to live, with all its little annoyances and quirks.

Hang in there!
~T

TakingCharge999 07-10-2012 06:33 PM

Thanks friends for the input and honest interest.

I am a bit busy these days but will give it a try this weekend. I recall when I arrived where I live today and I thought it would be impossible to live here with the buses passing all daylong haha (the building even shakes!! ugh) and now I barely notice, it does not bug me... so maybe I get used to the ambience and keep on with my life.... I don't know :( one thing is background noise and the other people yelling and babies crying and dogs barking..

Talking to the neighbors would be an idea but I don't have many hopes up, if they chain animals all day or ignore them and are not considerate, I am not going to change their education :(

Anyway, I asked myself the question: "what gives me more peace?" so I decided to keep renting my current place for another month. This way I can finish my semester in August and have a month to decide, if I stay here or if I rent the apartment.

Money would be one important item to consider but the apartment was bought by my mom's money and she asked me to pay her some rent, if I move there, so I would be paying $$ anyway (a bit less than what I pay now though). So its not that I would be rent-free (although it would be better if I pay my mom instead of some stranger).

At least I have an option now and that is how I am going to view this...

Your support is priceless ((hugs))

Kiana 07-10-2012 06:59 PM

My city has a strictly enforced barking dog/disturbing the peace ordinance and complaints are taken seriously. Hoping you find the solution that's best for you.

gerryP 07-10-2012 07:05 PM

TC aren't there by-laws where you are regarding the "peace and quiet enjoyment" of your property? This by-law would make barking dogs all day (night?) unlawful. The other option might be to call your animal shelter/humane society and report the address to have them come over to see if the dogs are ok to be outside all day alone. Do they have proper shelter from the sun, water bowls full all day etc. Isn't it really hot where you live? The other option might be to make a complaint to your your Condo Board and have them speak to the owner of the unit about the dogs.

TakingCharge999 07-10-2012 10:15 PM

Thanks gerry... the thing is that the dogs are in a different housing complex, not mine...

I brought it up to my Condo manager anyway. .she is a very old lady .. I asked "do these dogs bark all day?" and she said "unfortunately yes" as if she is no longer bothered. Not much help there.

All I am thinking is to install one of those antibarking humane devices nearby and check if it works.. that and white noise, earplugs.. might make it... I might check with an animal society but this abandoned pets issue is so common, as you know over here there is almost NO education .. :( at least not in this particular state I live in.

I went again another afternoon and it was relatively more "quiet" so I will check again.. maybe it was a temporary thing?? aw, :(

The good news is that my ex likes the place, in fact he wanted to buy it himself in the first place, and he is interested in renting it.

TakingCharge999 08-07-2012 01:17 PM

Let me continue to vent ...

As I have no employment currently I am almost sure I will need to move out to my new place anyway.. already dreading it but I hope a good set of earplugs help... no more $$ for rent, at least not for now.

Anyway I hope I can see it as something temporary and after I start earning again I can take other decisions.. or maybe just accept things as they are and take all the Rescue remedies and relaxing pills as I can...

Wish me luck in my move!

The good thing is that I will be independent again, no more drunks, at least not in my same house.

owathu 08-07-2012 01:36 PM

Never mind...late on the wagon.

Good luck though! :)