SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Current boyfriend is triggering me.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/246822-current-boyfriend-triggering-me.html)

sandrawg 01-23-2012 11:18 AM

Good advice.

And I am comfortable if he says, sorry, that's how things will be and I'm not changing...going ok, fine. Let's amicably part ways.

If he says, however, I get that you're concerned about my bargoing behavior..I would like to do it every once in a while, and do it in a way that makes you more comfortable, such as maybe bringing you along once or twice so you can meet these people, and keeping the time w/out you to a minimum, I can work with that.

With my ex, he gave me lots of signals he wouldn't change and I ignored them. I'm giving this one, this ONE chance and that's it. I am no longer interested in forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Originally Posted by anvilhead (Post 3253574)
it's only a few months of time invested....and already there is major drama/crisis....he made it CLEAR that he wants to do other stuff THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE you and is pulling back as far as availability and communication. and it has you all freaked out. it's bringing up old stuff and you are falling right into old behaviors, you want to make him SEE how this affects YOU, you want him to HEAR that and CHANGE his behavior.

it is what it is, and he's doing what he does.
maybe this one isn't the right fit for you. if bars bug you find someone who doesn't GO to them on a regular basis.

choublak 01-23-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by sandrawg (Post 3253553)
OK, I see what you're saying..BUT...

When you haven't been in a relationship that long, and there may be behavior on both sides that the other is not comfortable with..isn't it normal and not codependent, to just say "hey this bothers me" and see if you can work it out?

If he's dodging you and you have to make so much effort to track him down...

Threshold 01-23-2012 11:19 AM

Lillamy said pretty much exactly what I was going to post.

I want to add something I am learning in my own life, for your consideration. It may not apply to you, but even so, maybe someone else reading this thread may find it useful.

Try this experiment. Let's assume that your BF isn't wrong. He is just a man who enjoys hanging out at bars with friends. There is nothing wrong with it. It is just how he likes to spend his time. Once we stop assuming he is wrong, it frees you up from using energy proving you are right.

If we have to keep investing energy into the "I'm right/he's wrong" cycle, we're like hamsters in a wheel, going nowhere. You can find five people to agree with you that he's wrong, and he'll go find six people who will agree with him that you're a buzz kill.

You like museums and opera, he likes to go to the bar. No one is wrong. We have two people who are incompatible for a long term partnership.

If he has a drinking problem, that's his issue to deal with or not, to diagnose or not. If you have a CoD issue, that's your issue to diagnose or not, and address or not.

He shouldn't be expected to stop being him and go do your thing, any more than you should be expected to stop being you and go do his thing.

There is no right or wrong about two adults who want different things in their lives.

I am finding I have to do this about my ex husband, my current boyfriend and even my own addiction issues. Spending time judging right and wrong gets me nowhere. Detaching from that, and determining what works and doesn't work is more useful for me. Looking at my own behavior and seeing which one's bring me what I want and which don't is more useful than endless debating over the right or wrong of them.

I already tried turning myself inside out to be the right partner for some people I was incompatible with. It didn't work, it was frustrating and even demoralizing. I don't truly want to put anyone else through that, or repeat that cycle myself. It's easier to move on and find a better match.

Thumper 01-23-2012 11:38 AM

First I want to say thanks for the thread. I'm finding this very very useful. I'm not dating, thinking about dating, nor do I have opportunities to date but this is all very good experience and sharing on any level.

Originally Posted by EnglishGarden (Post 3253472)
Personally I would not trust any man over the age of 22 (as in: graduated from college partying) who gets drunk on weekends (you said he doesn't HAVE to, so I assume that means he does when he wants to) and does his socializing in bars.

As a recovering codependent, I could never be with someone for whom a bar is recreational therapy. I have experienced too much pain and deception from adult men who like to drink.

Hoping you stay safe.

Yes! It honestly didn't occur to me that people didn't go to the bars but I've actually seen some people that do not. (said with some sarcasm and a whole lot of honesty). They do fun things for fun ;). This is my new normal. Let me never accept less! I'm sure I'd go crazy with the triggers.

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa (Post 3253518)
One day, my better self got my attention. It was a warm spring day and I went and sat in the park under a tree and really considered whether I wanted to continue seeing this guy. My gut said no, even though the other voices said yes. This was a lifelong pattern I was challenging! Better to settle than to be alone, right?

For me it isn't so much about being alone it is about 'who am I to expect some kind of miracle man. I'm no prize - I outta take what I can get and be glad I got that!

See, it's not about whether he sees you as worthy enough for him to change his ways. It's about whether you see him as worthy to be in your life. And about whether you deem yourself worthy enough to let go of people who aren't good for you, even at the risk of being alone.

I should tatoo this somewhere on my person. "I deem myself worthy enough to let go of people who aren't good for me." Period. The End. This could change a persons life!

Originally Posted by sandrawg (Post 3253585)
Good advice.

And I am comfortable if he says, sorry, that's how things will be and I'm not changing...going ok, fine. Let's amicably part ways.

Consider that he has already said it. He has spoke with his words and his actions. You have spoke and sent emails and he is not responding any differently. Be careful is all. My ex agreed to all kinds of reasonable compromises and then went and did exactly whatever he had been doing all alone. It is a sticky trap and with the guys that try to keep us happy, and keep us, we have to watch actions very very closely. I think the goes for drinking problem or no drinking problem.

EnglishGarden 01-23-2012 12:41 PM

People, places, and things.

Recovering addicts are supposed to change those if they want to stay sober.

I use that advice for myself, too.

I will not choose to be with drunk people. Ever.

It is unlikely his friends will be nursing a beer.

More will be revealed. I think you will know what to do.

Blessings!

sandrawg 01-23-2012 01:14 PM

The thing is..he WAS banging my door down, spending every weekend with me, and things were going well. Until last Friday, when he went to the bar with his brother and ran into these people. It's all very odd. He's the one who wanted a relationship. He's the one who pursued me.

Long story, but I sat back and let him take the lead in everything...sex, dating, making a commitment to each other. I didn't push him for ANYTHING. Now we're in a relationship, and it's as if he wants to change the terms..to spend LESS time with me, and more time w/these people at the bar.

Originally Posted by anvilhead (Post 3253598)
If he says, however, I get that you're concerned about my bargoing behavior..I would like to do it every once in a while, and do it in a way that makes you more comfortable, such as maybe bringing you along once or twice so you can meet these people, and keeping the time w/out you to a minimum, I can work with that.

and you believe he MIGHT actually say that????? sandra, if you were his priority, he'd be banging your door down to spend time WITH you. he'd be glad to forgo other stuff, or he would cheerfully invite you to be a part of his life. that you have to spell this out to him clearly indicates the disconnect here. he knows where you live, he has your phone number, i presume he has transportation, and could cross the 45 minute distance ANY TIME HE WANTED TO. but he ain't.

i'm not sure if its really the bar thing that is bugging you as much as the withdrawal and exclusionary behaviors. he's retreating and you are determined to hunt him down and make him HEAR you out, that after a few months in you are already have a list of requests of things you'd like him to change....like what he does, when he does it, who he does it with.......

sandrawg 01-23-2012 01:20 PM

To be honest, I have a group of friends that drink occasionally. They also do other things. They don't HAVE to drink. We often spend weekends w/out stepping foot into a bar.

I drink occasionally. It doesn't bother me that I'm with people who drink-they're clearly not alcoholics. I was around enough while dating my ex for 4 yrs off and on, that I can tell. Going to the bar isn't that important to them; however, it is something they like to do.

With my bf, I think this is the turning point where I'm finding out exactly where HE stands on things, and how important it is to HIM. He may not be like these people.

Originally Posted by EnglishGarden (Post 3253674)
People, places, and things.

Recovering addicts are supposed to change those if they want to stay sober.

I use that advice for myself, too.

I will not choose to be with drunk people. Ever.

It is unlikely his friends will be nursing a beer.

More will be revealed. I think you will know what to do.

Blessings!

Thumper 01-23-2012 01:22 PM

It has only been one week. Try not to freak out and just see what happens.

I know that must be really hard. I'm feeling a little freaked out just reading the thread but you will find out what is going on without doing anything more then wait and see. It might be just one weekend that he wants to hang with these people, and it might be a pattern. The whole purpose of dating is to learn about one another.

Either way I think the major thing to learn is how to not get carried away in a sea of emotion over his choices for a couple of weekends ya know? The triggers have to be deadly in the dating world so I'm not making light of it. How can you maintain equilibrium when he (or anyone) throws a curve ball? No answers today - just more questions. Sorry.

EnglishGarden 01-23-2012 01:40 PM

You're right, sandrawg. There are people who do go out and drink without getting drunk. My reaction to drinking is because I'm not a normie anymore. So I am extra-sensitive around anyone who is doing more than slowly sipping a glass of wine with a meal. It is because of my past experiences with alcoholics and drug addicts that I react in a different way to people in bars.

I understand that you have your own experiences and you make the best choices for you. We all do our best to avoid what hurts us.

All the best as you figure things out for yourself.

sandrawg 01-23-2012 01:52 PM

I'm trying not to freak out. It's been hard being in limbo, and dealing with all this triggering. To be honest, I've cried a lot, and I can't tell if it's because of him, or because he's bringing up feelings of how my ex treated me.

I mean, when this topic first came up, I tried to find out how often he was planning on doing this. So that maybe we could negotiate it. Was it an every other weekend thing? One weekend a month? Did he have to take up a weekend night to be with these people? (Weekends are the only time we can really be alone and intimate because of his living situation.) And, actually..yeah. It did have to be, apparently.

Then, when I tried asking these questions, he just spouted out, well if this relationship isn't working out for you, you can walk away..I won't be mad.

?!?

I don't know if this is some sort of martyr thing, or he's saying, accept this or walk.

I guess I will find out tomorrow. Thank you all for your support and help.

Originally Posted by Thumper (Post 3253717)
It has only been one week. Try not to freak out and just see what happens.

I know that must be really hard. I'm feeling a little freaked out just reading the thread but you will find out what is going on without doing anything more then wait and see. It might be just one weekend that he wants to hang with these people, and it might be a pattern. The whole purpose of dating is to learn about one another.

Either way I think the major thing to learn is how to not get carried away in a sea of emotion over his choices for a couple of weekends ya know? The triggers have to be deadly in the dating world so I'm not making light of it. How can you maintain equilibrium when he (or anyone) throws a curve ball? No answers today - just more questions. Sorry.

LaTeeDa 01-23-2012 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by sandrawg (Post 3253754)
Then, when I tried asking these questions, he just spouted out, well if this relationship isn't working out for you, you can walk away..I won't be mad.

?!?

I don't know if this is some sort of martyr thing, or he's saying, accept this or walk.

Well, that sounds pretty definitive to me. You want to "negotiate," he doesn't.

There is room for negotiation only when the relationship is important enough to both parties to want to negotiate. It doesn't sound like it's that important to him.

L

tjp613 01-23-2012 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by sandrawg (Post 3253754)

?!?

I stand by what I said earlier -- it sounds to me like he's slippin' out the back, Jack, and he's just too immature to be a man about it. Either that or he wants his cake and eat it too. Either way, it's not healthy.

sandrawg 01-23-2012 03:09 PM

It's freakin' weird because leading up to that night, nothing was wrong. We both talked about how happy we were in the relationship..how we treat each other so well...how awesome each other are..etc.

Freedom1990 01-23-2012 03:17 PM

What support have you gotten yourself in the year after you and the ex broke up? Alanon, counseling, anything?

sandrawg 01-23-2012 03:24 PM

Yes, both.

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 (Post 3253851)
What support have you gotten yourself in the year after you and the ex broke up? Alanon, counseling, anything?

blwninthewind 01-28-2012 07:22 PM

I would have to agree with what the others are saying.

He is clearly showing you who he is you just need to accept it.

If you negotiate...at this point...well you may not be looking out for yourself very well.

You want a man that if you don't call him for 2 days...is calling, and texting and saying hey, are you ok? what's going on? This guy seems to be relishing in the whole "oh I got her hooked...and she just keeps coming while I reel her in'

This is not the guy for you.
He may not be an A but he is an A33hole!
Just the fact he's making the bar, the one place he knows strikes fear in you...as the pivotal factor in this negotiation...well...he's an a##hole.
You deserve better.

akrasia 01-29-2012 03:03 AM

There's a lot of good insight here.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Quite apart from the alcoholism thing, I find hanging out in bars/pubs unbearably boring. Literally I'd rather dig a ditch than spend a large chunk of time in a bar. So if I had a hypothetical partner who loved spending every night in a bar, even if we were compatible in a lot of other ways, it just plain wouldn't work. That wouldn't mean I was a jerk or he was a jerk, it's just one of those things.