SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Taking a breath (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/205842-taking-breath.html)

puppygirl 07-26-2010 01:01 PM

Taking a breath

Hi all,
Its been a long time since I have enjoyed a Saturday with my spouse. It is part of another plan on his part. "I will drink only everyother weekend." He has said this before so I didn't have alot of heart in it---- but this tme he did it. It was such a good weekend.
To the doc today...... I was a total mess the last time I saw him. He has been a good support to me. Comes up with some good ideas......a little bit of light in this lonely experience.

puppygirl 07-26-2010 02:57 PM

although grateful for my weekend.....the situation was very short lived. He stopped at the package store on the way home from dessert out. UUUGGGHHH. I have stsrted to think like a substance abuse counselor again which I think can be a good thing. I kind of lost that ability to get some distance and think better about things. Just being able to share this is helpful.
I feel some relief.

wow1323 07-26-2010 03:04 PM

Hi Pup, What do you mean a dessert out?

dollydo 07-26-2010 06:08 PM

Amazing how quickly a nice day with an "A" can go to h*ll in a handbasket. That's just the way it is, I hope you have the patience to deal with it, I didn't!

ChrrisT 07-26-2010 06:16 PM

Just know he can't bargain with alcoholism -

it pretty much tells him when he'll drink.

Keep posting Puppy. The strength will come.

ElegantlyWasted 07-26-2010 06:23 PM

Famous last words "only everyother weekend." I've never seen it work before and I've personally tried similar strategies. Concrete boundaries? Same action =same consequence every time? You don't have to put up with it.

Jadmack25 07-26-2010 07:14 PM

In George Orwell's "Animal Farm", one of the rules written on the barn wall at the start, is
"No animal shall sleep in a bed".

Later two added words changed the rule entirely. Those words? Without sheets.

A's do this all the time, either adding to promises or removing a word or two along the way, until we can't recall the exact wording at the start.

Your AH said, "I will drink only every other weekend."
Wait a short while and if you remind him of this, the answer will be "I told you, I would drink only every weekend."

But you really didn't expect it would work this time anyway, so Saturday was a bonus.

God bless

ChrrisT 07-27-2010 10:38 AM

n George Orwell's "Animal Farm", one of the rules written on the barn wall at the start, is
"No animal shall sleep in a bed".

Later two added words changed the rule entirely. Those words? Without sheets.

A's do this all the time, either adding to promises or removing a word or two along the way, until we can't recall the exact wording at the start.
That is a GREAT analogy!! It's so true.

Well no more shots of Yager, just beer and not before 4:00, ok 3 alright 12 and that's it. I promise.