SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   All About Me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/147040-all-about-me.html)

Gman813 03-28-2008 09:18 PM

Glad I showed up when I did

Picked a good week to find this place, 39 3/4 (holding out as long as I can), gave up fighting Mother Nature last year and shaved my head, beats gray I guess. Married to a wonderful woman, who I just met again a few months ago, a matched set of kids, girl 10 and boy 9.

Grew up here in NY, spent my 20's living a small town in Northern Maine (stationed there in the AF, then stayed for a while after), most beautiful place to live, summer was great, both weeks of it. Then poverty set in and had to move back home, thats where the wife and kids showed up. I was just planning to be here for a year, that was 13 years ago, so much for that plan.

I've had a hard time deciding what I want to do when I grow up. turning 40 this year, maybe I'll figure it out. Never went to collage, spent those years in the Air Force. I got to travel a lot, 14 states and 2 different month long trips to England. Then spent about 10 years learning to cook, started as a fry cook at a bar ended as a catering chef at 4 diamond restaurant, love to cook for crowds. Oh yeah, spent 2 of those years running a carnival food stand, now that was fun. And, yes I do have all my own teeth, and no tattoos, but did travel with the show.

Then came the wife and kids, had to find a "career", ran a small landscape maintenance business so I could be around to be with my kids. But then age and weight started catching up, found a desk job that I hate, warranty administrator for a home builder. I've at this for 3 years now I absolutely hate working inside all day.

My current passion is golf, I'm no Tiger but love to play. Also, enjoy spending time in the woods, camping, fishing, low impact sports. I picked up a book recently for the first time in nearly 20 years and I can't seem to put it down, "Courage to Change"

Thats me I guess in under 1 page. By the way, I type w/ 1 finger and not well, so my apologies now for the future.

hadenoughnow 03-29-2008 06:00 AM

Well I am 44, 4'10" (no that's not a typo) I was obese through my thirties but got tired of that and lost 95 lbs on Atkins (I have slipped and need to lose 20 I gained back). I live in the Metro Detroit area (it snowed yesterday, yikes!). I'm an IT manager at a law firm and am what you would call mechanically inclined (I can fix a faucet, change door locks, fix a satellite dish, paint, change light fixtures etc.). I used to sew, do cross stitch, knit and crochet too but don't have much time these days. I am not what you would call artsy but I am creative and tend to have expensive hobbies (keeping salt water fish, stained glass etc). My latest project is refacing my bathroom cabinets (they are not old but I hate the finish and color). Most of my family are nearby except my grandmother who lives in fla. My Myers-Briggs personality type indicator is INTJ (Mastermind Scientist).

LucyA 03-29-2008 06:20 AM

Great thread, I already had 'mental pictures' of some of you, but I've just realised I'm not good at that as I was nowhere near.

I'm 41 years old, 5'11'' (I think I beat you all in the height stakes up to now) the rest of me is pretty much in proportion and I'm happy in my skin. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Single mum to two boys 12 and 13 and still friends with their dad after 7 years divorced.

No pets at the moment because I work odd shifts and I'm sometimes away from home overnight. I work with people with learning disabilities and mental illnesses, I only took the job until something better came along, I've been there ten years this month. I really enjoy it and I get a lot and have learned a lot from the people I work with.

I don't really have time to fit in the hobbies I used to do anymore, I used to coach girls rugby and under 11 boys rugby, but my job doesn't let me commit to regular times now. Instead i run and swim whenever I can, walk quite a lot with my boys and play soccer in the park when they let me (or when they're a goal keeper short)

At the moment I'm redecorating the whole upstairs of my house, which I'm quite enjoying.

nowinsituation 03-29-2008 06:44 AM

I'll join the fun. I am 46; about 5'7" brown hair and brown eyes -- I've been told I have a great smile so I am trying to use it more often! I have two kids -- daughter age 13 and son age 19. They are like night and day, my son is tall and blonde; daughter is my "mini-me" (she hates it when I say that).

I am rediscovering myself in a beautiful old house that I moved into last month. We live in a small (pop. 500) but thriving town in the rural midwest. The house is very similar to my childhood home, I grew up on a farm, so I feel like I really belong here. It is, however, a bit of a commute to my job so I'm not really enjoying the gas prices these days.

My job as finance director at a local non-profit organization is interesting and challenging. I enjoy it very much; but it is a bit stressful and unstable recently. I am grateful that I am able to trust my HP will take care of things on that front.

I enjoy running -- and want to run a half-marathon before the end of the year. I am hopeful that will help me take care of that pesky 10-15 pounds I can't get rid of. I also enjoy gardening, cooking and decorating the house. Lots of opportunity for all of that here. "My world's on fire, how about yours? That's the way I like it and I never get bored!"

Sweetiepie1 03-29-2008 06:51 AM

"So...about me...I'm 5'5, so not tall and not short. I have long, dark, curly hair choice wear jeans on a regular basis, but more professional for work. I also LOVE shoes. I have over 100 pairs. I guess this qualifies as an addiction, but at least I'm not hurting anyone and I never buy them at full price. Oh, I'm also a huge bargain shopper and love finding clothes at the thrift store"
Quoted from NYChick

Snap, I've found my twin.

Even the Cher comment was appropriate as I think of myself as an aging Rock Chick

A few differences though.

I have two wonderfull small people that make me smile all the time.

I love anything to do with food be that shopping, cooking or eating. I am a voracious reader and love music.

I love to travel and have been to a number of African countries where I have indulged in extreme sports.

I work in recruitment which I enjoy except for the silly hours (currently out of the house for 13 hours a day)

Oh and I have two pet rats, a Siamese and a Burmese (and that was rats not cats)

angelonmyshould 03-29-2008 07:13 AM

I am 5' 4". My children are taller then me except the 8 year old. LOL

I enjoy my job - taking school pictures for Lifetouch. I get to work with children which I enjoy and get to be at a different location every day.
Plus, I work 3 months then off 3 months then on again - see the pattern?

During the summer when I'm off you can find me at the beach or the pool - they are just a block away.

Or you can find me in my yard doing some odd thing with my yard. (I've got to ponds to maintain. And my son (12years old) plants a garden that I have to help just a little with.)

I basically enjoy my time watching my children grow up and now with us all in the program we help each other out.

NYC_Chick 03-29-2008 07:13 AM

Sweetiepie: Here's to twins!!!

I love that you have rats for pets. Living in NYC, I feel sorry for them. They didn't ask to be vermon that everyone runs from. Although yours are probably small, I've mistaken a few for cats around here!!

lexusgirl 03-29-2008 07:43 AM

Sweetiepie--My son used to have three rats, and they made the best pets! One lived to be over three. My son and his rat were inseperable...and they're soooo smart!

Gotta love the ratties:Val004:

InsertNameHer 03-29-2008 07:50 AM

Aw i've got two rats! there really cute, and always good for freaking out unwanted visitors, i often get "OMG, you have rats...Um i've got to go" hehe.

Oh, i like these games. Well, im 18 (only a wee nipper really) Im about 5'2", mid length brown, extremely curly hair, which turns ginger every now and again.

I live with my parents and my two younger brothers, who are a complete nightmare. I enjoy shopping, football, playing hockey and just meeting up with friends and having a giggle and a gossip. Im currently a student studying health and social care and physchology and when i leave 6th i hope to become a care worker for a year and then intend on going travelling!!

Thats me just about done, i think. its been reallt interesting reading about all of you guys!! xx

Kindeyes 03-29-2008 08:24 AM

Such a diverse interesting bunch of people!

Let's see......I'm 49 years old, 5'7", medium build, dark brown hair (except two grey hairs that bug me), and (surprise) very green eyes.

I am on my third career. I've been a stockbroker (in NYC), a banker, and now have owned a business with my husband for the last 17 years. I work out of my house 2 -3 days a week and go into the office the other days. (I LOVE working at home....it's quiet and I get so much done!)

I have two grown children and four dogs (3 greyhounds and a GSD). I have been married to my best friend, soul mate and business partner for 23 years.

I love music......all kinds.....but am partial to classic and alternative rock. I live in the same state as Anvilhead and Lexusgirl (the snow lately has been very very strange). I love where I live.....it's quiet, peaceful and beautiful.

I love to read. I love to learn new things....particularly new computer programs and all things computer.

I'm currently going to a chiropractor for a back problem from doing things that someone my age shouldn't be doing (ATVing and football).

I'll grow up someday.

Sweetiepie1 03-29-2008 08:58 AM

Do you want to grow up, I sure as hell don't :Dance7:

prodigal 03-29-2008 01:17 PM

Photo thing not working.

prodigal 03-29-2008 01:18 PM

Sigh.

FormerDoormat 03-29-2008 01:21 PM

A torpedo-sized croissant is right up my alley. Imagine all the chicken salad I could spread on that baby....

lexusgirl 03-29-2008 01:22 PM

Prodigal-the pic was just up like 2 mins ago where did it go?:wtf2

prodigal 03-29-2008 01:24 PM

FD - you must have seen my post before I got rid of it. Now I have two extremely short posts that make no sense. See, that's what I get for messing with photobucket. I posted a photo of one of my cats and it was H-U-G-E. Beyond huge. Mammoth. So I still don't know how to post and crop a photo.

And FD - your response to my croissant discussion sounds downright obscene, not to mention NOBODY except you and me knows what the heck you're talking about! LOL!!!!!:e088:

prodigal 03-29-2008 01:26 PM

lexus, you got a short but sweet look at one of my three cats. I don't think anybody would be up to the challenge of trying to explain how to post a photo. Okay, now I'm just whining about being technically-challenged. I have had a phone call and a detailed email on how to do this.

Maybe I'll just go back to my law project ...

lexusgirl 03-29-2008 01:33 PM

I did see your cat! Very exotic looking and so cute!:)

Mair 03-29-2008 03:16 PM

Hello all, im 41,. 5ft 3 and shrinking, forgotten what colour my hair really is but at the moment it's brown and blondeish. A single mum to two beautiful girls aged 16 and 8 and a cat called Pickles.

Started out with nothing, worked hard and now own my house, have car and a good job with the Health and Safety team.

I think im the only welshy here at SR? i live on an island called Anglesey im surrounded by beautiful beaches and have the Snowdonia mountain range on my doorstep Ahhh Lovely. I have never been to America but it' s high up on my list of things to do before i get to 50. Me and the girls are off to Italy in August it will be our first holiday abroad together and we are all so excited.

I like gardening but im not very good at it and nothing lives for long, this year im going to grow chilies and peppers (i'll let you know if they survive.)

Whilst im here just want to say "Dwi yn caru chi gyd" "I love you all" in welsh.

Mair xx

Sweetiepie1 03-29-2008 03:59 PM

I love Wales, such a lovely place especially Snowdonia. I'll be in Dolgellau for a few days this summer, its my fave place to go horse riding, in the hills overlooking the Maldawch estuary, my favourite place in the world to be.

You are very lucky to have so much beauty on your doorstep.

As for the language, I've got as far as caws, merched, cader and ysgol :rof