SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Do A's Always Cause A Crisis? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/127190-do-always-cause-crisis.html)

AskingWhy 06-27-2007 11:55 AM

Do A's Always Cause A Crisis?

Every single time there is a special occasion or event involving ME, AW causes some sort of crisis or scene. I am assuming this is because she isn't the center of attention. It is often not a scene that is visible to anyone else...often just a snide remark or words said in the car on the way...and then she blasts me with both barrells for something stupid after it's all over....so basically I sit there miserable because I know what's going to follow...doesnt matter if it's my birthday, Fathers Day or anything else surrounding ME....

Does this happen to everyone else?

LovesLife 06-27-2007 12:04 PM

I find the same thing. My AD seems to manage to ruin every occasion for the rest of us. It's uncanny sometimes. And we are sick to death of it.

Can others help me and AskingWhy with some insight.

denny57 06-27-2007 12:08 PM

Yep. Every birthday, every holiday. Without fail. 18 years of it.

Astro 06-27-2007 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LovesLife (Post 1387334)
Can others help me and AskingWhy with some insight.

Well, for me it's because it was all about me, I'd create any drama to keep everyone focused on me. Why? Because I was so godd@mn miserable and unhappy in my disease that I was dying for someone to notice me and pay attention to me. Me, me, me. Alcoholics are incredibly selfish and self-centered.

appleblaster 06-27-2007 12:37 PM

Astro said it best.

As a codependent, it was difficult for me to see my exabf happy because I was so miserable so it really comes from both sides. Actually, I think its more an issue of being miserable as Astro pointed out. How dare my exabf enjoy one ounce of happiness while i'm suffering through all this (in my best marytr voice with forearm across forehead Gone With The Wind style)!!??

GlassPrisoner 06-27-2007 01:00 PM

From the Big Book of AA

He may be one of the finest fellows in the world. Yet let him drink for a day, and he frequently becomes disgustingly, and even dangerously anti-social. He has a positive genius for getting tight at exactly the wrong moment, particularly when some important decision must be made or engagement kept.
Astro makes a good point.....

LovesLife 06-27-2007 01:04 PM

Thanks to all of you for the insight. It does to help to hear it from others.

Astro 06-27-2007 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner (Post 1387401)
He has a positive genius for getting tight at exactly the wrong moment, particularly when some important decision must be made or engagement kept.

Every time I read that I think about how high-functioning I thought I was. I never missed an engagement, was always on time, had the same good career I had now, took care of a large home and family, etc. etc.

But I lied to my ex, manipulated and controlled anyone and everything I could, and heaped loads of verbal and mental abuse on my ex. I'm sure I lied to my kids too. And no matter what I tried to project, I was dead and unhappy on the inside.

venusinlibra 06-27-2007 01:34 PM

Wow, this really struck a chord with me. I get why my ABF is making such a scene/causing a crisis, etc. He knows I have an important deadline on Friday for work and he is causing all kinds of drama...trying to break me down. Hang in there.

Every single time there is a special occasion or event involving ME, AW causes some sort of crisis or scene. I am assuming this is because she isn't the center of attention. It is often not a scene that is visible to anyone else...often just a snide remark or words said in the car on the way...and then she blasts me with both barrells for something stupid after it's all over....so basically I sit there miserable because I know what's going to follow...doesnt matter if it's my birthday, Fathers Day or anything else surrounding ME....

venusinlibra 06-27-2007 01:37 PM

What a light bulb moment. This has happened to me in my relationship and as a child. Maybe it is the unhappiness, the drama allows him or her to blow off steam, and everyone else can feel as crappy as they do.

I guess I should have compassion. But sometimes I just can't.

Cynay 06-27-2007 01:44 PM

Your know what ...

My ex-AH use to undermind whatever was happening with me unless it included him... and a major that he would work on was my career. He would do any/everything to make me feel bad about my career (granted in the beginning I was a workaholic) and embarrass me ... it got to the point that I would not attend any company functions that included spouses... unless I knew he could not be there.

Many years later the told me that he was deathly afraid that I would "out grow" him, that the more sucessful I became the more he felt unimportant and bad about himself... I spent many years trying to build him up and letting myself die inside.... because it was all about him.

sb0804 06-27-2007 03:26 PM

Oh I feel you pain on social occasions and how they act prior to them. I know my AW looks like she is excited to go to social events with alcohol at them and cant wait to get started. My AW would say things not being intentionally nasty to me but out of excitement. I honestly feel that some A's enjoy the anticipation of drinking more than the experience itself.

prodigal 06-27-2007 03:26 PM

That's why I take my vacations ALONE. I go to the movies, out to dinner, visit friends - alone. If it's a holiday, AH will go on a bender or throw a fit. I noticed that every single time we went on vacation the past 3 years, he'd go off about about anything - just outta the blue.

I, too, got the sarcastic comments and attitude. Finally, in February, when he went completely off his stick, I said that was it for me. I cut my losses. I enjoy myself far more without him hanging around.

I'm sure I will not be home or anywhere around him over Labor Day weekend. Not worth the headaches.

If threre isn't anything going on, he'll stir up some drama. He did it on Memorial Day, when he managed to stay sober when I wasn't around, but as soon as I got to our motorhome to go out on the jet ski with him, I found he'd already downed a bottle of wine for breakfast. I left, went home, didn't answer the phone, and relaxed by my pool.

duet_4-8 06-27-2007 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by prodigal (Post 1387577)
That's why I take my vacations ALONE. I go to the movies, out to dinner, visit friends - alone.

For the three years prior to my divorce, I did the same thing, just me and the kids. My ex ruined every occasion that was supposed to be joyful...right down to and including my oldest son's wedding. Vacations with him were horrible; so we just started going without him.

Of course, then I had to listen to him whine about how "no one wants poor old dad around..." and "it hurts so much to look at the pictures of the family and not see myself in them".

It wasn't until I found SR that I realized that those were things all addicts say and I really wasn't to blame for his misery.

fartheralong 06-27-2007 03:48 PM

Yep they do, or mine (XAH) did for several years. Birthdays, didn't matter whose, until I got to where I would only go to immediate family get togethers, and even then I often skipped them. Our children's birthdays, school parties/programs, my career achievements, holidays, heck funerals of acquaintences--it didn't matter, there would be some 'issue/fault' and he could make into a scene/ruin it/make it all about him.

Now though, I fully enjoy them all (except the funerals obviously). Another thing I now notice that I had no clue I even did before, is that I always kept one stressful eye on the kids. They're young and I never knew what issue he'd pick with them, or when he'd pick it. Maybe jumping too much on the trampoline or whatever, or playing chase with other kids. Even at large family get togethers where cousins all play together and there were plenty of adults, I was always right there--always afraid. Now though, yes I keep an eye on my kids, but they're kids, they *play*, really play and I enjoy other adult get togethers. It's amazing to me the things we all gave up/didn't experience because I kept us in that stupid dance.

None of us have to worry about his scenes now--thank God. For so long I just saw it as him&me. This strange struggle between just the two of us. Now I see the much bigger picture, now I understand it had very little to do with me or the kids, that it was his addiction, not necessarily him finding issue or fault. But I still thank God I let it all go.

Hang in there Loveslife and AskingWhy.

Pick-a-name 06-27-2007 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Astro (Post 1387430)
Every time I read that I think about how high-functioning I thought I was. I never missed an engagement, was always on time, had the same good career I had now, took care of a large home and family, etc. etc.

But I lied to my ex, manipulated and controlled anyone and everything I could, and heaped loads of verbal and mental abuse on my ex. I'm sure I lied to my kids too. And no matter what I tried to project, I was dead and unhappy on the inside.

Wow; to me, you just described my exAH.

He has really been trying to be nice and helpful lately, but I see this struggle even though he doesn't say much negative to me,etc. I "feel" the fight he is having, and hear him crab at our dog or something in passing to one of the kids, or more about something in the news,etc. I hear the MISERABLE coming out of him. It's sad but I try to ignore it....and not join in the pity-party.

He's all about the control and he sees that since he has divorced me, the kids and I are slipping away. I don't think he counted on that.

aztchr 06-27-2007 04:24 PM

Mine would rather isolate himself at home to drink. He never wanted to go to any of my family events or even out on a date. He said since we had a house, people could just come over to see us. He wondered why they didn't want to. Eventually, I didn't want them to.

I really don't think it phases my ex to be alone and drink. He never needed to be the center of attention. He just really was indifferent about a lot of things mostly what I did. He just didn't want anyone telling him anything about his drinking.

So I ended up isolating myself and resenting it. Not anymore!

aztchr 06-27-2007 04:26 PM

I think I created more of a crisis in my mind than he did. I was always waiting for something bad to happen. I was so concerned about his safety and health. Now I have to be #1.

fluffyflea 06-27-2007 04:43 PM

Yes you right, it's because you are getting attention and she isn't.

Earthworm

Originally Posted by AskingWhy (Post 1387326)

GlassPrisoner 06-27-2007 06:03 PM

Mine would rather isolate himself at home to drink
Yup, isolation is middle and late stage alcoholism.

I really don't think it phases my ex to be alone and drink.
It doesn't. It's an alkies goal.