SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   The Best of SoberRecovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/best-soberrecovery/)
-   -   Authenticity III (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/best-soberrecovery/366514-authenticity-iii.html)

bemyself 05-11-2015 05:56 PM

ha ha Ajax - succinctly put!
Though, mind you, I've been known to wax lyrical about some of my cars - my fondest memory (though it drove us bonkers by always needing work) is from the mid-80s: a Datsun 1600 in that disgusting mustard-ey colour, but tricked up [previously owned by a rally driver] with double barrel Weber carbies, fat tyres, sports steering wheel, roll-bar inside. Went like stink - when the motor wasn't having one of its 'hunting' episodes - so much so that I sometimes used to burn off young guys in their hot big sedans from the lights. The twins were only about 3 then, and thought it was great fun, Mum being a hoon :-)

Aww ((((Dave)))) bless his puss-cat heart. Won't be too long now Dave, just keep yourself looking spiffy for when Dad comes home.
xx

Della1968 05-11-2015 06:10 PM

When you guys road trip to FL stop and see me!!

fini 05-11-2015 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ajax (Post 5366527)
Such a guy :groan

haha Ajax, i'm glad you said it; i only thought it :)
with affection, of course.

fini 05-11-2015 06:15 PM

oh all you four wheelers.
i was a truck driver before i retired. well, i'm still a truck driver. just without the wheels. the engine. the never-ending shifting through all the gears. clutchless.
i miss it more than i have words for.

fini 05-11-2015 06:29 PM

I'm fearful of the unknown, you know? Which is way different then being afraid of fear itself.

yes.
one of my former work buddies had pancreatic cancer; very quick from diagnosis to hospital to palliative care. he was a tough-sounding little guy, all bark. incessant bark :) not many knew there was no bite. guy-stuff, loudmouth. i really liked him. lots.
i went to see him lots in the hospital, and decided to ask if he was afraid. figured he'd brush that question off.
oh yes, he said, i'm scared.
and why are you afraid, what is it you are scared of?
"i've never done this before."

stuck with me.
as did he.

in reality, we haven't done any of the future before. it's all unknown; just some things more predictable than others.

Robby, you're far towards that "love end" of the scale BTSO mentioned. no worries there. that is one of the well-known things here.

Jeni26 05-11-2015 11:09 PM

Good morning all. Our car died on Sunday...just quietly conked out as we were parking after shopping. Why do we get so attached to them? It reminds me of when our kids were little, laden up with suitcases and buckets and spades and beach balls, headed for the Coast. It's been like a trusted friend and now it has to go. We can't just keep it out the front as a keepsake as it takes up too much room. So at the weekend we are car shopping!

I too like the rain. My most favourite thing to do is to go bike riding round the little country lanes where I live when it's pelting down, splashing through puddles and singing as I go. Honestly I'm such a kid. I think I had to grow up so fast as a child, I am reliving a childhood lost and relishing every moment of it. My own kids look at me and smile. They don't understand the reasons why I'm as nutty as a fruit cake, but it amuses them. Either that or they are secretly planning to get me carted off to some locked ward somewhere...lol.

I hope the news from the oncologist is good and you can get home soon. And whoever calls a cat Dave? Funny 😊

Love to you all ❤️

RobbyRobot 05-12-2015 12:17 AM

Hi Jeni. :)

Actually his name is David, but we don't stand on ceremony around home too much, lol. I miss him and Lucy, both rescue cats we received the same day a couple of years ago now. Lucy isn't short for Lucille. :)

Yeah! Biking in the rain too! Such fun splashing puddles and getting mucky and washing it all away while still biking. Ah! Such simple times which always brought out the best of everything when one could wear a smile as a kind of secret handshake into good times shared. Good luck and have fun car shopping for the weekend!

Aellyce 05-12-2015 05:38 AM

Good morning Robby & Melissa, and Everyone :)
(Well, evening for me now)

One of the reasons I came here (Asia) was to study the development of personality, less dependent of cultural influences. On the personal level, I'm happy to live, once again, on the top of Maslow's Pyramid. I've done that many times, my nature and "safe place" also. It's easy and natural for me as a sober person.

I'm more interested in something else these days though... In NY, we always give our study subjects this questionnaire to assess personality traits in relation to addiction. One of the traits it tests is self-transcendence. I was quite mystified about this at first. Of course I took the test myself, and come out moderate in this parameter of personality. But I'm so interested! I definitely see some people here on SR, as "high" in this area of personality. I think it makes life both more fulfilling and more challenging...

Not so fond of the hot weather here though. But I guess it's similar in NY in the summer. Weather-wise, I would love to live in Alaska, or anywhere far north. Or far south, but very far down. It's very weird for me now because as a kid and adolescent, I loved the summer best.

Have a pleasant day, Robby :) I hope the first chemo will be mild :hug:

Gilmer 05-12-2015 05:56 AM

Good morning, everyone, especially Robby and Melissa. I am so blessed by this thread and the joy and peace that emanates from it! I look greatly forward to coming here every morning! Thank you, Robby, so much for being willing to open up to us!

courage2 05-12-2015 06:14 AM

Good morning, Rob, Melissa and all! I look forward to hearing about everyone's day. I hope the oncologist gets around to you, Rob, and bears information you can use.

PS Melissa, it's nice to see you on the songs thread. It's gotten me through many a long night. Nowadays it's just the first thing after gratitude of the morning. :)

LBrain 05-12-2015 07:11 AM

"I've never done this before." Truer words were never spoken.

Just saying hello RR and Ajax and everyone else.
I must say that it only takes a couple minutes to remove the front panels from the top of my jeep. It came with a soft top but it is still in the boxes in the basement. When I go camping and surf fishing in Delaware I was going to put on the softy. I should just sell it.
I recall when I came out of work after a rain storm, I would drive in circles and zig zag through the parking lot trying to drain the water from the floor of the old jeep.
Haenne reminds me I am applying for work that would move me to Northern Idaho or eastern Washington state. Or possibly on the northern border of Montana. I already have all the equipment I need to enjoy that area. Thinking of another song, "Going Up the Country" by Canned Heat.

Have a good day.

RobbyRobot 05-12-2015 10:12 AM

Well, still have not had consultations with my medical oncologist. We're late by a day now. Not a huge deal in itself, a single day. Still though, want to get going on this ASAP because I sure don't want to do a AWAL and thereafter become all FUBAR, lol.

Damn!

All jokes aside, let the treatments begin!!

:)

Soberwolf 05-12-2015 10:12 AM

Hi Robby & Melissa

RobbyRobot 05-12-2015 10:13 AM

Oh, and hi everybody! :hug:

:grouphug:

brynn 05-12-2015 12:03 PM

By all means, Let the treatment begin!
My years as a nurse taught me that the medical world moves at it's own pace in it's own time....of course it's much more frustrating as a patient on the waiting end of things.
Im actually at OT right now 'waiting' my turn. Today my team will watch me attempt to put my socks on and tie my shoe while they try and figure out whats going on and how to go about helping me.
Anyway, I was thinking of you waiting for things to move ahead and wanted to say hi. Hope your oncologist comes soon. Fingers crossed he does. I don't care how enlightened we are, waiting still sucks! :hug:

trachemys 05-12-2015 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot (Post 5367626)
Well, still have not had consultations with my medical oncologist. We're late by a day now. Not a huge deal in itself, a single day.

My hind leg it's not a huge deal. Start grousing now. Show them the non-beautific side for a change. Want me to send my sister? She's a nurse practitioner. When Dad got a staph infection in hospital she had Emory Hospital jumping on command.

I hate to wax serious but you are one of the few who know how many non-important days there are to come.

LBrain 05-12-2015 03:34 PM

so................. just another day of dining on fantastic food and waiting ?

Have a restful evening Robby.

Impurrfect 05-12-2015 04:27 PM

Good evening Robby and Melissa! I sure hope the oncologist shows up soon. Though I lost my career as a nurse to addiction, I can still talk the talk and walk the walk. So far, haven't been kicked out of any hospitals while making sure my loved ones are taken care of, so let me know if I need to come up there!

I've been reading, just haven't had the words to say, but wanted to share my story about rain.

When I was born, my mom was 21 and went into heart failure. They didn't know why, back then they could just say "it's really bad" and tell her she'd never see my 10th birthday.

She was like a little kid in a 5'9" body, in a good way. Her "rules" about rain were simple:
- As long as it's not lightening, you must run in the rain and laugh like crazy.
- Find every puddle you can, squeal like a kid while jumping into it.

I don't ever remember even having an umbrella when I was growing up, it was never needed. I DO remember, however, my mom's attitude about life.

The doctors didn't know my mom. She was almost 51 when she died, I was 29. I see a lot of her in you. Her attitude was "okay, these are the cards I've been dealt, but I'm going to laugh and love until I can't go any more".

I don't know that she set out to make such a huge impression on everyone who knew her, but she did.

You and Melissa are doing the same thing and I'm grateful for you both, as well as everyone on this thread.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

RobbyRobot 05-12-2015 05:29 PM

Hi Friends :)

It's been a tough enough day with doctors and was able to get some action on seeing my oncologist Wednesday. So at least the consultations can begin and go from there. I'm tired out now, and so I'm going to sleep early. I'll have a lot to say tomorrow, I'm sure. :)

Good night everybody! :hug:

silentrun 05-12-2015 05:43 PM

Sleep sounds good! You reminded me of the song I used to sign my daughter to sleep with. I asked her and she doesn't remember. I will subject her to it again tonight.

Cuddle up and be my little clinging vine
Like to feel your cheeks so rosy
Like to make you comfy cozy
Cuz I love from head to toesy
Lovely mine

Cuddle up a little closer, lovely mine
Cuddle up and be my little clinging vine
Like to feel your cheeks so rosy
Like to make you comfy cozy
Cuz I love from head to toesy
Lovely mine