SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Beer doesn't even taste like alcohol anymore... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/63633-beer-doesnt-even-taste-like-alcohol-anymore.html)

Richey 07-04-2005 08:59 AM

Beer doesn't even taste like alcohol anymore...

It tastes like a nice English cup of tea...like the queen should drink it with her pinky finger out. It seems so decent and respectable after drinking straight vodka for so long.
I'm on the beer now...well...what Americans call beer...I don't expect any kind of praise because, honestly, I know any kind of drinking is still bad... but it's a big improvement for me. Over a litre of spirits a day down to 6 beers. Well, 6 beers and half a large bottle of scotch if you count last night...but that doesn't count. Okay, it DOES count...but in generally I've REALLY cut down...a LOT!
I wanna stop completely... I quit the hard stuff because my insides are just dissolving, literally...and this still isn't so great.
My problem is what to do when I'm depressed (I mean really ******* depressed like I'm crying and want to die) or when I'm bored.
I just moved to a new area...I don't know anyone except the local dealer and a few people I work with. I spend nearly all my time inside with nothing to do. I pretty much own nothing...it's all been sold to pay for various addictions. I'm so bored I turn to drink...and if not drink then valium...anything to make the time pass faster. Sometimes drink and a couple valium... that can pass a good 12 hours :/
It's not good.

tyler 07-04-2005 09:02 AM

I pass alot of time here. I used to drink out of boredom too. This is what I do in my peak bordom times. Do you like to read? If so maybe get some books from the library or you might even be able to find a place to download some for free. Not sure about that one.

BaBa OReiley 07-04-2005 09:12 AM

go to a meeting!

2dayzmuse 07-04-2005 09:14 AM

How about a hobbie that doesn't involve drinking or drugging.

BikerBill8 07-04-2005 09:34 AM

Alcohol is alcohol no matter what form it is in.

historyteach 07-04-2005 10:41 AM

"My problem is what to do when I'm depressed (I mean really ******* depressed like I'm crying and want to die) or when I'm bored. "

HALT
That's an acronym. It stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired.
When you'r feeling out of sorts, it's probably due to one of these physical or emotional reasons. You need to identify what is the cause of the distress you're feeling. Then, deal with what it is.
Getting to a meeting will help you deal with the loneliness, and the drinking that is concerning you.
I wish you the best!
Shalom!

earlybird 07-04-2005 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Richey
It tastes like a nice English cup of tea...like the queen should drink it with her pinky finger out. It seems so decent and respectable after drinking straight vodka for so long.
I'm on the beer now...well...what Americans call beer...I don't expect any kind of praise because, honestly, I know any kind of drinking is still bad... but it's a big improvement for me. Over a litre of spirits a day down to 6 beers. Well, 6 beers and half a large bottle of scotch if you count last night...but that doesn't count. Okay, it DOES count...but in generally I've REALLY cut down...a LOT!
I wanna stop completely... I quit the hard stuff because my insides are just dissolving, literally...and this still isn't so great.
My problem is what to do when I'm depressed (I mean really ******* depressed like I'm crying and want to die) or when I'm bored.
I just moved to a new area...I don't know anyone except the local dealer and a few people I work with. I spend nearly all my time inside with nothing to do. I pretty much own nothing...it's all been sold to pay for various addictions. I'm so bored I turn to drink...and if not drink then valium...anything to make the time pass faster. Sometimes drink and a couple valium... that can pass a good 12 hours :/
It's not good.

I know we are supposed to KEEP IT HAPPY in here, but, Im sorry,....Im getting kinda sick of hearing people want praise for "cutting down". I mean,..isnt them posting that in here just a way of fishing for the OKAY to drink? They post how they have "cut down" and then sit and wait for us to post back the 'good jobs",....or "Good for you's" Then they think to themselves,..yeah,..Im doing a good thing by drinking this 5th instead of the gallon. If a serial killer only kills 2 people this week, but last week he killed 10, we dont praise him for "cutting down". You need to GET HONEST. Quitting isnt quitting unless you QUIT. Great,...be happy about cutting down,..but we all know it wont last. You will be drinking more and more very soon. And besides,...drunk is drunk. Doesnt matter if its from beer or from liquor. Stop wasting peoples time, and your own.

Rimmy 07-04-2005 11:08 AM

earlybird,

or, they are looking for someone to admonish them to help them stop that too. If you don't have anyone..... it's not easy.

To Richy, I say congrats on seeing the problem, but you need MORE help too. The big picture is you are doing better, but you have a ways to go. You will find "mostly" support here 99% of the time. Seriously consider doing away with alcohol completely and you will get back so much of the things you have lost over the years.

beer is alcohol = not good stuff

Aaron

tyler 07-04-2005 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by earlybird
I know we are supposed to KEEP IT HAPPY in here, but, Im sorry,....Im getting kinda sick of hearing people want praise for "cutting down". I mean,..isnt them posting that in here just a way of fishing for the OKAY to drink? They post how they have "cut down" and then sit and wait for us to post back the 'good jobs",....or "Good for you's" Then they think to themselves,..yeah,..Im doing a good thing by drinking this 5th instead of the gallon. If a serial killer only kills 2 people this week, but last week he killed 10, we dont praise him for "cutting down". You need to GET HONEST. Quitting isnt quitting unless you QUIT. Great,...be happy about cutting down,..but we all know it wont last. You will be drinking more and more very soon. And besides,...drunk is drunk. Doesnt matter if its from beer or from liquor. Stop wasting peoples time, and your own.

Simmer on down earlybird!! Richey SPECIFICALLY said, and I quote, "I don't expect any kind of praise because, honestly, I know any kind of drinking is still bad... but it's a big improvement for me." So if you don't want to praise him, then don't. I'm glad that you have a crystal ball and can tell Richey's future. Perhaps you should be a fortune teller for a living or maybe go to work for the government, they could use someone who can tell the future. If you feel Richey is wasting your time, then feel free to NOT READ HIS POSTS, and certainly don't waste your time responding!! People like you who have all the answers really *iss me off!!

Dan 07-04-2005 11:36 AM

Before we were addicts, before we were overeaters, bi-polar, alcoholic or codependent-we are your sons, daughters, husbands, wives, friends and family members.
Waste who's time?

Originally Posted by Richey
Sometimes drink and a couple valium... that can pass a good 12 hours :/
It's not good.

No it's not. Just for me, it sounds like you're postponing the inevitable. If your organs really are turning to liquid sh!t, why are you still drinking then?
Oh, I know! I know! Please mister, ask me!

Maybe you're in over your head Richey, and have been for a long time. I did that. And it worked well. Until it stopped working.

Earlybird has a point, mate.
I wish you could see past the twelve hours that seem to frighten you so much. Because on the other side of the valium and the fifth, you'll still be there, you know. Then what?
Your body, and it's ability to fight off the toxins we ingest is finite. Granted, some of us abuse it for decades, like I did, and live to tell the tale. But the price has still been paid. Trust me on that.

Anyway, sorry for the rant earlybird.
And Richey... Just be careful.

historyteach 07-04-2005 11:49 AM

Earlybird;
I noticed you're new to SR. Welcome!
Here at SR, we come to help or be helped.
That's our purpose.
There are times when I read a post that disturbs me.
I click a different link. :wink3:
I hope to see you here often as we both grow in our recovery! :)
Shalom!

Chy 07-04-2005 12:06 PM

Richey, I don't think I've ever specifically "told" someone to go to AA or NA, but I'm telling you.... go to AA or NA, no excuses, no reasons, just go, and the "worse" you think it is then the harder pressed you get to force yourself to keep going back.....go and listen, just listen, keep going, keep listening.....your about out of options my friend.

babeekj 07-04-2005 12:31 PM

I agree with Chy. I think you are a place where you are having to decide whether you want to live or die . I hope you choose to live.

earlybird 07-04-2005 01:11 PM

Okay,...no, Im NOT new here. Ive been a member for a year and a half. All I said was that you HAVE TO STOP DRINKING. You know, I never once said I have all the answers. Where you got that, I have no idea. While I agree that this is a place for support, at the same time, that support can also be in the form of checking people on their sh*t when they try to shoot moves. Alcoholics are notorious at that. Part of finally being able to get sober is finally others not letting them get away with B.S.

Richey 07-05-2005 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by tyler
I pass alot of time here. I used to drink out of boredom too. This is what I do in my peak bordom times. Do you like to read? If so maybe get some books from the library or you might even be able to find a place to download some for free. Not sure about that one.

I read...a lot...but lately (more like the past year) I;ve barely had the attentio span for it...I don't why but I just can't concentrate on anything...especially when I'm sober.

Richey 07-05-2005 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by stormyautumn
I'm on day 13...This isn't my first time around getting sober either. I know the whole boredom thing sucks. I keep myself busy cleaning, on this board..A LOT...And if not on the board surfing other sites. I also read..in fact I bought an awesome book yesterday called Living Sober (Some methods AA members have used fornot drinking) It has a lot of good insight and I almost read the whole thing in one night...Good Luck...It only gets better ever 24 hours...

I started cleaning a lot...I used to have severe OCD (I had to pray 24 times before I entered a room and freaky stuff like that) the first few days I kept this place pristine but now it's starting to resemble a squat...it's ******* appauling but I just don't wanna do anything except hide under the covers.

Richey 07-05-2005 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by historyteach
"My problem is what to do when I'm depressed (I mean really ******* depressed like I'm crying and want to die) or when I'm bored. "

HALT
That's an acronym. It stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired.
When you'r feeling out of sorts, it's probably due to one of these physical or emotional reasons. You need to identify what is the cause of the distress you're feeling. Then, deal with what it is.
Getting to a meeting will help you deal with the loneliness, and the drinking that is concerning you.
I wish you the best!
Shalom!

Hungry *tick* angry *tick* lonely *tick* tired *tick*...apatheticfailurewhodoesn'tdeservetolove.. .*TICK*

I don't even know where the meetings are around here...or on what days (they changed around for some reason at my old place between two buildings)

Richey 07-05-2005 01:33 AM

I specifically said in my original post that I didn't want praise and knew any kind of drinking was still bad.
Please don't compare me to a serial killer, that's really unfair and insulting.
Also, I wasn't drunk on the beer...I wasn't sober either but you don't just suddenly get drunk on one beer.
Do you really think it's a waste of time for me to even try to get sober?

Richey 07-05-2005 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chy
Richey, I don't think I've ever specifically "told" someone to go to AA or NA, but I'm telling you.... go to AA or NA, no excuses, no reasons, just go, and the "worse" you think it is then the harder pressed you get to force yourself to keep going back.....go and listen, just listen, keep going, keep listening.....your about out of options my friend.

I want to go...I think...maybe.
Anyone know that number you call to find out where meetings are in your area?