SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Heading into the witching hour (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/451705-heading-into-witching-hour.html)

VeggieFriend 01-10-2021 04:21 PM

Heading into the witching hour

Day 1...It has grown dark

This is when I'd pour that first glass of whatever.
I will not tonight. Just for tonight, I will not be drinking.

But i'm trying to think of what to replace it with when I get to this hour (especially since I'm here now!!!)

My husband suggested I work out. I mean it's not a bad idea, although It's not something I ever look forward to doing. And I've feel a little down and tired all day today. Overthinking this step I made has worn me down.
Anybody got any ideas? I need some replacement therapy.

Dee74 01-10-2021 05:11 PM

Keep busy, Change your routine.
Post here, for yourself and to others :)

You can do this :)

D

nez 01-10-2021 07:05 PM

While I think balance is key for a healthy lifestyle, in early sobriety, I needed to immerse myself as much as possible in this new way of life. I needed to minimize distractions that could potentially take my eye off of the prize. So my replacements were activities that were oriented in the direction that I wanted to go.

Replacements for me were:
recovery meetings
talking with other alcoholics in recovery
reading recovery/spirituality books
participating on recovery websites such as SR
volunteer work for non-profit organizations that give back

As I got more comfortable in the new lifestyle, I was able to expand my tunnel vision view to incorporate activities that weren't necessarily recovery oriented, in order to work on achieving a balanced lifestyle.

advbike 01-10-2021 08:06 PM

I bike or walk in the evening when I used to drink. Once you have a few months it's not a big deal, at least for me.

EndGameNYC 01-10-2021 08:19 PM

It was very difficult in the beginning for me as well.

I worked out. I fell in love with reading again. I could only manage short stories in the beginning. I walked a lot, and I went to a lot of meetings.

Exercising can improve your mood, clear your head, feel tired in a different way, and, eventually, give you more energy. Even a reasonable walk each day can help.

SnazzyDresser 01-10-2021 10:23 PM

It wasn't like I thought it out beforehand to replace drinking, but I ended up getting hooked on jigsaw puzzles once I got sober. That, walking a lot (at least an hour a day, usually 3 or 4 miles worth), and SR were a winning trifecta for me in my 1st year of sober life.

Erica375 01-11-2021 04:32 AM

Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, sudoku, coloring books, arts and crafts, reading (you don't have to start with War and Peace; light reading is fine). Anything you think will grab your attention for a few minutes to distract you.

ScottFromWI 01-11-2021 10:50 AM

How is it going today VeggieFriend?

proudtobehere 01-14-2021 05:53 PM

wow so wow

The witching hour is my failure. I do so well through the day (although suffering a hangover). and then nap for 45 mins after I get home. Watched a favourite show after and it was sooo gratifying. Then I proceed to get as drunk as I can and still function the next day. It is very precise. I measure my vodka intake in ml and drink 4-5 16oz bottles of water through the night. I am a foodie and love trying different things but end up settling for whatever my drunk ass can come up with? Yes I know my body is suffering and want to quit. Just need to reach deep and commit.

LadyBug66 01-15-2021 01:37 PM

Hi VeggieFriend. The "Witching Hour".... gosh I know that so well! It's good you have recognized your pattern of drinking. I replaced it with Club Soda with lime slices, I posted here BEFORE my usual first drink (or the drive to the liquor store) and I would have an activity started (painting a piece of furniture or a craft or sewing) Hang in there and I would tell myself the same thing.... I'm not drinking today.... maybe tomorrow but not today. I am 3 years sober. :)