Notices

Heading into the witching hour

Old 01-10-2021, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heading into the witching hour

Day 1...It has grown dark

This is when I'd pour that first glass of whatever.
I will not tonight. Just for tonight, I will not be drinking.

But i'm trying to think of what to replace it with when I get to this hour (especially since I'm here now!!!)

My husband suggested I work out. I mean it's not a bad idea, although It's not something I ever look forward to doing. And I've feel a little down and tired all day today. Overthinking this step I made has worn me down.
Anybody got any ideas? I need some replacement therapy.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep busy, Change your routine.
Post here, for yourself and to others

You can do this

D
Old 01-10-2021, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

While I think balance is key for a healthy lifestyle, in early sobriety, I needed to immerse myself as much as possible in this new way of life. I needed to minimize distractions that could potentially take my eye off of the prize. So my replacements were activities that were oriented in the direction that I wanted to go.

Replacements for me were:
recovery meetings
talking with other alcoholics in recovery
reading recovery/spirituality books
participating on recovery websites such as SR
volunteer work for non-profit organizations that give back

As I got more comfortable in the new lifestyle, I was able to expand my tunnel vision view to incorporate activities that weren't necessarily recovery oriented, in order to work on achieving a balanced lifestyle.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I bike or walk in the evening when I used to drink. Once you have a few months it's not a big deal, at least for me.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

It was very difficult in the beginning for me as well.

I worked out. I fell in love with reading again. I could only manage short stories in the beginning. I walked a lot, and I went to a lot of meetings.

Exercising can improve your mood, clear your head, feel tired in a different way, and, eventually, give you more energy. Even a reasonable walk each day can help.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

It wasn't like I thought it out beforehand to replace drinking, but I ended up getting hooked on jigsaw puzzles once I got sober. That, walking a lot (at least an hour a day, usually 3 or 4 miles worth), and SR were a winning trifecta for me in my 1st year of sober life.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Erica375

Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, sudoku, coloring books, arts and crafts, reading (you don't have to start with War and Peace; light reading is fine). Anything you think will grab your attention for a few minutes to distract you.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How is it going today VeggieFriend?
Old 01-14-2021, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

wow so wow

The witching hour is my failure. I do so well through the day (although suffering a hangover). and then nap for 45 mins after I get home. Watched a favourite show after and it was sooo gratifying. Then I proceed to get as drunk as I can and still function the next day. It is very precise. I measure my vodka intake in ml and drink 4-5 16oz bottles of water through the night. I am a foodie and love trying different things but end up settling for whatever my drunk ass can come up with? Yes I know my body is suffering and want to quit. Just need to reach deep and commit.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi VeggieFriend. The "Witching Hour".... gosh I know that so well! It's good you have recognized your pattern of drinking. I replaced it with Club Soda with lime slices, I posted here BEFORE my usual first drink (or the drive to the liquor store) and I would have an activity started (painting a piece of furniture or a craft or sewing) Hang in there and I would tell myself the same thing.... I'm not drinking today.... maybe tomorrow but not today. I am 3 years sober.