SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Your old posts... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/436853-your-old-posts.html)

Sillyboy 03-05-2019 04:01 PM

Your old posts...

I went back just now an re-read every one of my old posts...quite disappointing. I've made little to no progress in the 10 plus years I've committed to this site. Well, committed isn't the word I should use because obviously, there was no commitment...Day 1...I need this!

Anna 03-05-2019 04:04 PM

Since you see that you've been stuck, maybe this is the time to come up with a plan for recovery that will work for you. And, committing to come on SR every day and read and post, would be a great start. :)

Hevyn 03-05-2019 05:45 PM

Good to see you, Sillyboy. I hope you'll do what Anna suggests - checking in every day really helped me to not feel alone. I grew stronger & more determined when I read & posted. I'm glad you want to make this change in your life - you'll never regret it.

fini 03-05-2019 07:27 PM

welcome on your day one, Sb.

Evoo 03-05-2019 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sillyboy (Post 7138120)
I went back just now an re-read every one of my old posts...quite disappointing. I've made little to no progress in the 10 plus years I've committed to this site. Well, committed isn't the word I should use because obviously, there was no commitment...Day 1...I need this!

Same. I’ve got a post under a different username nearly 10 years ago.

When you’re active in addiction, it’s a sobering reminder of how real addiction is, how empty the promise of “moderation.” How little things change.

But is there’s one thing I’ve learned at SR the last month, it’s that there is another way. Full commitment. Full rejection of the addiction voice.

It can be done. So many amazing folks here are living proof of it.

Make that promise to yourself and break out of the prison of addiction. We can do it.

Dee74 03-05-2019 10:41 PM

I struggled for 15 years like that sillyboy.
Eventually stooping drinking was the oily viable choice I had and once I gave all of myself to the idea if not drinking, it all got a little easier.

Its never to late to change, and never too late to start writing that chapter two.

do you feel ready to say never again? if not why not? :)

D

least 03-05-2019 10:47 PM

To stay sober you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink. :) Not easy, but simple.

BullDog777 03-06-2019 05:33 AM

I joined in 2010, my sober date is 3/1/2016. I dicked around with this wayyyyyy too long.

I can tell you for certain, this is the easier way. All of the struggling, and the hopelessness and the pain was so unnecessary.

We all do it the same way...one day at a time.

Hevyn 03-06-2019 12:52 PM

How's it going today, Sillyboy?

Fly N Buy 03-07-2019 07:33 AM

Many here including myself, followed the hard path you seem have been trudging. It took the gift of desperation to open the door towards a solution others have found as well. Some of us seem to wait until the pain of not doing something is far greater than continuing with our debauchery.

Hopefully others may learn that it is not required to waste decades before embracing real change. Friends called me Mr. Highbottom. Funny, they aren't around anymore and no one refers to me in that manner.

kinzoku 03-21-2019 10:52 PM

Man I know how it feels.

Sometimes I think wow if I'd just got sober when I first joined or...man if I'd just never relapsed Id have x days.

But we are here right?

PeacefulWater12 03-21-2019 11:12 PM

These shares really speak to me, the half hearted quit "attempts", the insane schemes to try and be able to moderate I messed about with. Telling myself I was working on my problem, I wasn't. I was playing mind games with myself to enable my drinking to continue. Such hard hard hard work.

The only solution is to abstain completely.

nycway1 03-22-2019 05:46 AM

I’ve been taking the long way,too.🙄 It’s better late than never.

NYCDoglvr 03-22-2019 07:42 PM

Since it's obvious that what you're going doesn't work, perhaps it's time to try something concrete. The support of the AA fellowship was invaluable for not drinking one day at a time. But it takes willingness to do whatever is necessary to stop drinking.

Wantingit 03-24-2019 10:57 AM

Wow, thats funny I did the same thing. There was so much self deception and straight up lies on here on how "well" I was doing.....quite pathetic. That being said now finally after over 11 months of actually being honest and working the steps in AA with a sponsor I look at the posts as great fuel to keep me focused Odaat!! Blessings to you all!!

Paperbag 03-24-2019 11:14 AM

It's certainly not an easy path to take, but if it was easy, there would be no such thing as alcohol problems. The hardest things to get offer the best rewards.

NYCDoglvr 03-24-2019 10:23 PM

Let be be clear: the last place I ever wanted to wind up was AA and I hated it for a while. I simply couldn't stop on my own and if I continued drinking, I was going to die. And what I saw is my best thinking got me drunk, so I just gave up and said "tell me what to do."

It's called the gift of desperation.