SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   How to stop drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/403895-how-stop-drinking.html)

19AlcoHolic85 01-25-2017 05:53 AM

How to stop drinking?

My girlfriend left me 2 years ago. I had never been drinking alcohol before, but that day I started and by now I still couldn't stop. I'm drinking one or two bottles of beer everyday. My face is ugly and my body is going fat day by day.
I just can't stop, it's a strong addiction...

Can you help me? What could be the way to resolve the problem?

Doug39 01-25-2017 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 19AlcoHolic85 (Post 6306378)
My girlfriend left me 2 years ago. I had never been drinking alcohol before, but that day I started and by now I still couldn't stop. I'm drinking one or two bottles of beer everyday. My face is ugly and my body is going fat day by day.

How many ounces are in these bottles?

If they are only 12 ounce bottles I don't see a problem unless you weigh about 50 pounds.

August252015 01-25-2017 06:30 AM

Good morning- glad you are here.

Alcoholism isn't about quantity, or time of day, or type of beverage. Are you finding you can't stop when you start? Feel like you "have" to drink? How are things in your life? These are the kind of questions to ask and answer honestly.

I'm an AA-er and one of the things the Big Book of AA talks about is that there are "heavy drinkers" who aren't in fact alcoholics - they can stop if they want to. This is different than the "real alcoholic" (a BB term) who cannot.

Perhaps trying to quit for a certain amount of time is a good start, as you already feel that alcohol is causing you problems. Read around this sight and see what, if anything, resonates with you. I bet things will, since you decided you were concerned enough to join and post on a recovery site.

Good luck. If you do need to quit- doesn't sound like a bad idea, whether you are really an alcoholic or not- there are lots of ideas and programs you can choose to follow.

HTown 01-25-2017 09:31 AM

Two years ago your girlfriend left you. What have you been doing since then besides drinking? Excercise, meeting new girls, making more friends, and doing anything else but drinking would be a great start to a new life. Less weight too. Good luck!

ScottFromWI 01-25-2017 10:03 AM

Welcome to SR 19. There are a lot of ways you can go about stopping drinking, most of them involve being part of a recovery community or self-paced program.

The link below has a very good summary of a lot of the common methods used and some personal experience with many of them. As mentioned by others, the quantity you drink isn't always as important as the fact that you can't control it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Dee74 01-25-2017 02:07 PM

Hi and welcome 19AlcoHolic85 :)

I started drinking over specific things too but over time I definitely became an alcoholic, and I couldn't stop either, so you're definitely in the right place :)

Have you tried to quit before?
Scott's link to the various recovery methods is a good one.

You'll also find a lot of support here. Come check out the 'Class of January' support thread in Newcomers forum if you like. It's for everyone quitting this month :)

glad you joined us!

D

Dee74 01-25-2017 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doug39 (Post 6306427)
How many ounces are in these bottles?

If they are only 12 ounce bottles I don't see a problem unless you weigh about 50 pounds.

The OP sees a problem, and by their own admission, they can't stop.
That's good enough for me, Doug? :dunno:.

D

steve-in-kville 01-25-2017 03:20 PM

I'm drinking one or two bottles of beer everyday.

I, too, would like to know how big these beers are. It would help me answer your question a bit better.

Mountainmanbob 01-25-2017 04:42 PM

I'm drinking one or two bottles of beer everyday. My face is ugly and my body is going fat day by day.

Well, most would say that one or two bottles of beer a day is no problem but, if you think that it is, then it is. This is probably a good time for you to stop drinking.

Recommend -- go to an AA meeting and buy a copy of the AA Big Book.

Keep coming here so as to read some of the many threads and post often.

Nice to see you here today,
M-Bob

Dee74 01-25-2017 05:16 PM

As Scott said the quantity you drink isn't always as important as the fact that you can't control it.

I would have thought if there was a group of people that knew that, it'd be us?

D

SWTPEA61 01-25-2017 05:37 PM

Are you actually getting drunk or feeling loopy? Can you drive a car safely after 2 beers?

fini 01-25-2017 07:24 PM

hello 19 Alco,
yup, if you can't stop it's time to get help,so i commend you for looking for it.

ultimately, you have to not drink in order to not drink. you have to not pick it up in order to stop. i know, it's obvious, but that act of not lifting booze to your mouth and pouring it in is the act required to stop.

the plans and various ways that people mention here are ways to stay stopped. in the immediate moment, distraction might work well for you, but that is a stopgap. hope you'll look around more and see what makes sense to you as a way forward.

PhoenixJ 01-26-2017 02:49 AM

As above- sometimes it is not necessarily the amount of alcohol- but why we drink, the behaviour leading up to, during and after drinking and how it leaves us feeling. The fact you are concerned enough to post is a red flag. Can you see a counsellor, therapist- or a medical doctor to help point you in the right direction. My behaviours over alcohol hid- and then blew out the effects of major depression. Also anxiety, guilt, shame, remorse etc. Support is so very important. AA is good as is SMART for every day strategies in coping.
Prayers to you. PJ.

ScottFromWI 01-26-2017 06:53 AM

Several posts have been removed from this thread. A reminder that links to commercial sites or private blogs are not permitted and also to report suspect posts via the little triangle in the lower left, please to not "call out" users publicly.

Jamie1 01-29-2017 10:15 AM

We all know that alcohol addiction is a fatal problem and nobody can leave it easily. But, I just say you to don't lose hope, contact with a consultant, I hope everything will be okey.

ElianL 01-29-2017 11:10 AM

Have you been to your doctors and been honest; there is a lot of help and understanding from medical practices these days its very different to even 20 years ago. As for the weight, one small can of beer is 154 cals so even if you are having just two of them a day thats the equivalent of eating an extra small breakfast a day and you will put on 3/4 pound of weight a week so if you maintained this for two years, assuming you are already eating your calories intake per day, you would gain about 30 kilos in weight. This could be a good reason to stop drinking, see your docs and looking at healthier options.

NYCDoglvr 01-29-2017 12:34 PM

How to stop drinking: one day at a time.

It's only today you don't drink.

Never project about not drinking forever. Nobody can know that and we're powerless over the future. Where you do have power is today.

Jamie1 02-02-2017 07:48 PM

alcohol addiction

We all know that alcohol addiction is a fatal problem and nobody can leave it easily. But, I just say you to don't lose hope, contact with a consultant, I hope everything will be okey.

TheBatman 02-02-2017 11:17 PM

Make sure you're not drinking out of boredom. Boredom is also a major reason why alot of people drink. Find some hobbies and some friends (more friends more hobbies), you dont wanna become an alcoholic because you were bored alot of the time.

SoberCAH 02-03-2017 09:16 AM

I agree with Phoenix that the operative issue is why we drink - not how much.

I drank, in significant part, to feel better about myself.

The other reason was to numb emotional pain.