SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Campral advice??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/403797-campral-advice.html)

TehWizz 01-22-2017 09:28 PM

Campral advice???

Hey guys.
Ok ive had addiction problems my whole life, started pot at the age of 15, moved onto amphetamines and opiates for a couple of years, then went off them for ages. I only started drinking late in life (around 24-25, im 29 now) and it has proven the hardest one by far. Im going pretty bad hey.
The worst is, i was hiding the habit (1-2 bottles of wine a day) from my fiance... it was getting so damaging.
Yesterday i just couldnt hide it anymore and i came clean and said how much i needed help. Shes very angry (understandable) but still supportive and helping. I saw a Doctor today and have been given Campral to help with withdrawals. I am supposed to start them tonight. So yeh thats a smallll part of my story guys i think this forum will be a big help to me and i would love to hear your stories, particularly experiences with Campral. Thanks :) This kind of a repeat post, but i mainly want to know peoples experiences with Campral. thanks!!!

sk187 01-22-2017 10:35 PM

I don't have any advise, really didn't know it existed but wish I did.

From what I gather Campral is the same as Acamprosate.

A search on this site shows a few other threads of people talking about it.

I still cant post links because I am to new but search the forums for acamprosate.

sk187 01-22-2017 11:00 PM

Did you just go to your normal doctor, the same one you would go to for a physical?

I am just going on a week sober but the cravings are constant.

August252015 01-23-2017 04:07 AM

Wow, there are a lot of these threads lately. Do try searching as plenty of answers abound.

Yes, campral and acamprosate are the same. Technically, my experience is with the generic (acamprosate) and I would suggest it to anyone. I am 11 mo sober as of yesterday and along with other meds, under my dr's supervision, have taken campral 3x daily since I quit. I have had ZERO cravings; if this is why or part of why, amen and I will happily take it forever. Some people take it only hoping to lessen cravings and still plan/keep on drinking; I don't suggest this- IME and IMO it works BEST (like all other meds, really) if you don't drink, period.

I consider all the meds I take- Antabuse for the first 90 days, seroquel nightly for anxiety and sleep, lorazepam (attivan) daily/as needed for anxiety, lamictal (BPD-related symtpoms/original dx while still drinking)- tools in my sobriety kit.

Good luck.

shortstop81 01-23-2017 05:12 AM

I started taking Campral a few months ago and found it extremely helpful in reducing my cravings. But I also coupled that with a solid and active recovery plan, and didn't rely on medication alone.

My side effects were minimal, and the only real complaint I have is that it's sometimes tough to remember to take three doses a day. But all in all, I am very glad my doc prescribed it for me.

SideStep 02-04-2017 01:38 AM

I've never rated Campral. At one point I was taking Campral, Naltrexone and Antabuse together. Naltrexone reduced my drinking but didnt stop it.

1 Antabuse each morning is enough to scare me into not touching booze, so thats all I take now.

Gottalife 02-04-2017 02:00 AM

I took antabuse as a back up (going to any lengths) for the first 90 days, while I worked the AA program. By 90 days my entire outlook had changed , so I reviewed my use of antabuse. The last time I stopped taking it was because I wanted to drink. What would happen this time? Had the problem really been removed or did I still need that antabuse gun to my head?

Turns out the program delivered as promised. Stopped the antabuse, never needed to drink.

SideStep 02-04-2017 02:25 AM

I don't like taking Antabuse but at only 2 weeks sober It's necessary. That plus AA and seeing Drug and Alcohol regularly seems to be working well for now.

PurpleCat 02-04-2017 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by shortstop81 (Post 6303414)
I started taking Campral a few months ago and found it extremely helpful in reducing my cravings. But I also coupled that with a solid and active recovery plan, and didn't rely on medication alone.

My side effects were minimal, and the only real complaint I have is that it's sometimes tough to remember to take three doses a day. But all in all, I am very glad my doc prescribed it for me.

This is my experience as well.

RecklessEric 02-04-2017 07:42 AM

I say take whatever works for you.
I sometimes take Antabuse, but it's usually at my wife's request.
She sometimes sees a behaviour in me that concerns her and it's a good way to ease her mind.
Never heard of Campral, but as I said, if it works for you...

Mountainmanbob 02-04-2017 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TehWizz (Post 6303105)

I only started drinking late in life (around 24-25, im 29 now)

I attended AA for a short time when I was around your age.
Wish I would have stuck with the Program.
Would have saved a lot of suffering for myself and others.
Good luck,
M-Bob