SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Do you still get queasy about alcohol ? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/402499-do-you-still-get-queasy-about-alcohol.html)

Soberwolf 12-28-2016 04:22 AM

Do you still get queasy about alcohol ?

Was just reading a thread that made me feel queasy because it reminded me of consuming alcohol & sometimes i get a sick feeling in my stomach from it

Was just wondering does anyone else get this after a few years sober I kinda like that I get it as it's a vivid reminder of how bad things were

Done4today 12-28-2016 04:28 AM

I was just reading someone's post and took me back to my dark days of being holed up in my house drinking massive amounts of alcohol. Many feelings of regret, shame, and embarrassment came rushing to me. I got an anxious feeling that progressed to queasy wanting to puke feeling. I am glad I got this reaction over the craving trigger that it would have given me a year ago.

Aellyce 12-28-2016 04:57 AM

Sometimes. Not to the point of feeling sick, but it's associated with the most destructive experiences in my life, I think it would be surprising not to have a negative emotional reaction to it.

Doug39 12-28-2016 04:57 AM

I don't get queasy thinking about drinking.

I do however sometimes feel like I should be drinking if I am doing something like watching sports or any activity that I used to enjoy with a beer in my hand.

Yesterday I found myself staring and being interested in an advertisement for whiskey in a Sports Illustrated magazine. For a few seconds I lost myself and forgot I was sober.

zjw 12-28-2016 05:49 AM

i wont lie on the surface it always sounds like a fantastic idea.

But then I quickly realize all the bad that goes along with it. I was thinking just last night how great it is to be drunk thats only 1 very small aspect of drinking for me. The rest of the aspects of drinking and theres a lot of them are really really bad. It ends up not worth it every single time.

I dont always really feel queesy about it but sometimes i've gotten panic stricken over the idea. sometimes i get depressed about it too. For example I might think hey lets have a drink and that sounds so great then i play the tape and realize how crap it is and then that brings me down. Then move on to some other thought and get happy again.

Bunny211 12-28-2016 06:21 AM

When I think about how I drank mouthwash I gag. I just shivered and felt sick when I even typed that.

zjw 12-28-2016 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bunny211 (Post 6263721)
When I think about how I drank mouthwash I gag. I just shivered and felt sick when I even typed that.

whats sick is the sane part of me is like ugg yuk gag but the AV part of me is like hrmmm did it work?

there are some not so good things that i've learned since going to AA or these boards.

for example i'd wake up feelign shaky and awful. I just figured it was all part of the hangover. which it was per say but it was also withdrawels and i've learned from places like this and AA that had i kept on drinking i might have been able to avoid some of that shaky stuff.

This scares me for if i was ever to relapse I could see myself just drinking from sunrise to sunset and a few times in the middle of the night just to keep my nerves calm A stage I was almost getting too when i quit.

That being said I simply cant relapse. it would be far too dangerous.

ChloeRose63 12-28-2016 06:48 AM

Ya, I do get 'queezy'. The smell of it makes the sober me sick. The AV (which is very, very, very quiet) still 'hears' the tv commercials that endorse 'a feel good time' and tries to nudge me but, it doesn't work. I tell it "I thought you were dead...get back in that grave where I buried you!"

Bunny211 12-28-2016 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by zjw (Post 6263740)
whats sick is the sane part of me is like ugg yuk gag but the AV part of me is like hrmmm did it work?

there are some not so good things that i've learned since going to AA or these boards.

for example i'd wake up feelign shaky and awful. I just figured it was all part of the hangover. which it was per say but it was also withdrawels and i've learned from places like this and AA that had i kept on drinking i might have been able to avoid some of that shaky stuff.

This scares me for if i was ever to relapse I could see myself just drinking from sunrise to sunset and a few times in the middle of the night just to keep my nerves calm A stage I was almost getting too when i quit.

That being said I simply cant relapse. it would be far too dangerous.

It is crazy how the AV works. I was getting my hair cut last week and I saw the container of BARBICIDE where they keep the combs to disinfect and I thought "I wonder how much alcohol is in that. I wonder if you could drink that?!"

MY GAWD

ChloeRose63 12-28-2016 07:01 AM

Has anyone ever smelled vanilla extract?
In desperation I would hold a swill under my tongue so it would get into my bloodstream faster. OMG

Soberwolf 12-28-2016 07:06 AM

Thank you all for your responses so far

Bunny211 12-28-2016 07:06 AM

Nope but I know lots who did try the extract route. My friend drank a bottle on her way to rehab and when she was at the medical office to be cleared she blew something like a .3 and they admitted her to detox for a night and she had to pay out of pocket. She calls that her "$750 dollar bottle of vanilla extract." She's 18 months sober today.

gregknight 12-28-2016 07:30 AM

I don't know if I'm weird for being this way but I don't get queasy or the opposite, crave alcohol, but then, the alcohol, although I am certainly physically addicted, was just a means to an end, which was getting high, escaping anxiety, getting out of reality. I think I would be in as much danger if I had a full bottle of Oxycontin or some heroin in front of me, although I've only ever really used alcohol.

Soberwolf 12-28-2016 08:04 AM

Congratulations on your friend reaching 18 Months Bunny

Jimmy58 01-07-2017 08:27 PM

I feel terrified when I think about the dangerous situations I put myself and others in. Particularly my friends and family.

rubythrill 01-08-2017 01:05 AM

I don't get queasy, but my mouth waters for sure. 90 days next week.

August252015 01-08-2017 03:51 AM

Nope.

BullDog777 01-08-2017 04:33 AM

It does make me queasy sometimes.

My mother in law still drinks and the worst is going over there for dinner and being able to smell her glass from across the table. i've had to excuse myself to get some air as i was starting to dry heave from it.

shortstop81 01-08-2017 05:11 AM

Not really. At this stage my AV is romantacizing alcohol, and trying it's best to convince me to drink.

Thankfully I know better.

waynetheking 01-08-2017 06:13 AM

It's poison. It makes us sick. Over consumption kills us. Just stay away from it and start a new life without it. It's a mindset folks. Just surrender.