SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Anxiety and panic attacks in sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/399168-anxiety-panic-attacks-sobriety.html)

sleepie 10-17-2016 07:11 PM

Anxiety and panic attacks in sobriety

Still happens all the time and with increasing frequency. Especially after emotional upset and being depleted emotionally. Had to go and be "on" for some people for several hours yesterday. Was so worn out after all of it I was just in exhausted/anxiety mode all day today, culminating in a gasping for air panic attack this evening.

So anyone else out there who has this, this far along into sobriety- what works? I am almost 10 months in. Sometimes a cool/cold shower can help or laying down for awhile in a quiet place but that isn't always possible. Can't take meds and therapy has never assisted with this. Benzos were a godsend but unfortunately can't take them anymore.

IHaveFaith2016 10-17-2016 07:17 PM

Have you tried meditation or breathing exercises? Can you stay away from situations or people that trigger those feelings? I've suffered from panic attacks too. It's awful.
Congrats on 10 months, that is fantastic!

Dee74 10-17-2016 08:18 PM

Hi Sleepie
I think Ive shared with you about breathing exercises before? They help me.
I can link to them again if you like :)

Anna also usually recommends a few books:

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6177115)

There will be anxiety that pops up. Many of us struggle with this and have faith that will be able to lessen it and manage it much better.

As you continue your recovery, these books can help you to deal with your anxiety and panic:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Anderson, Neil Victory Over the Darkness & Bondage Breaker

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety

D

sleepie 10-17-2016 08:29 PM

maybe a link. Books are no good right now as I cannot concentrate on anything for a length of time.

Forward12 10-17-2016 08:54 PM

Underlying depression and anxiety issues are very common with alcoholics, and it rarely just goes away on it's own. I would really suggest getting back into therapy and perhaps be put on proper meds to help.

sleepie 10-17-2016 09:09 PM

I really prefer a non pill way to do this. I try and exercise but it really makes me more anxious which I don't understand and also makes me even more fatigued than I already am. The cold shower thing does actually stop the anxiety so I may try and do that more but other self help suggestions would be useful.

I do avoid the stressful people and situations.

Do benzos really do this for so long... it has been a long time since I had any and I didn't really take a high quantity for too long.

I asked our "super moon" to please, please send a thing my way... some kind of anything to really restore my faith, well give me any in the first place really... in humanity or people. Awful news every day, racism, murder, hostility and cruelty. Petty tyrannies and oppression. I know an emotional boon would do me a world of good. I am intuitive, somewhat creative and do so wish the lunar mother would deliver, I am motherless and have no other.

Forward12 10-17-2016 09:27 PM

There are quite a few herbal supplements out there that are suppose to help, though I haven't tried any personally. Exercise has worked well for me, but I think I know what you mean of it causing more anxiety as it increases your heart-rate that can trigger panic attacks. Something low impact like yoga or pilates might be a good option.
Therapy in itself is about as natural as it gets. I know I personally stopped for about a year as I thought it also was a waste of time, and during that is when things got worse and worse for me.

sleepie 10-17-2016 09:37 PM

I have to clean up my diet big time.

Food is my only enjoyment left though and the only stress relieving thing I have either.

I eat little lately but I starve all day then have 1/2 a slice of pizza. And I do enjoy it.

I am headed into a stressful work assignment. It is a short term thing. But I still have trepidation.

I have tried therapies over the years Forward, I appreciate the suggestion but it has not really led to anything but financial stress in the past, or insensitive therapists.... one was mad because I didn't ask about his day first...? I have lost faith in that kind of thing.

Dee74 10-17-2016 09:38 PM

Lots of stuff here :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...f-respite.html

zjw 10-18-2016 05:26 AM

i still deal with it from time to time myself sleepie. I have found for me anyhhhow at this point anyway there is now "cure" or "solution" but many of the things being suggested have been beneficial to me along with many other things. I'd say some of the book choices have been the most helpful in my case.

diet is a HUGE one as well. people wonder why i'm neurotic about my diet and excercise? THIS IS WHY! if i'm not diligent i get off kilter and find myself in ruts again. For example right now I"m battling massive fatique and exhaustion. I know i got possibly 2 thigns going on. one I stopped eating some higher in iron foods not to long ago oops I also have not been sleeping well as usual so I'm trying to work on both as best i can.

Its tough for me because people see what i'm doing but why why are you so nurotic and i'm like really do you really wanna know the whole story? its a long one lol .but through lots of trial and error for me I've found what works for me anyway.

how we eat can really play a role in how we feel it takes time and diligence. I used to google everythign i ate so i could learn all about what it was good for and such i found this to be a helpful practice.

I've also had to restrcuture my life. for example someone might ask me to do a certain task and i might have to wait till the proper to tackle it. Why? because I dont want to be an anxiety ridden mess or loose my **** over it. I also have to tell people know to things i'm not sure if ic an handle or not sure if i wanna handle or not sure if ic an handle along with all the other thigns i got going on. That will also just lead to more panic for me.

As a result honestly I can not handle as much now as i could say 7 years ago. Though in hindsite i was not handling all that stuff 7 years ago all that well anyhow. I can then feel "less than" as a result or like debilitated or something. I went through a phase where that depressed me and saddened me too but now I just try to accept that it just is how it is and I move on.

you could read up on some of the causes of shortness of breath and anxiety. sometimes theres some other condition thats the culprit involved entirely triggering it too maybe you will get lucky and it will be an easier fix.

Bunny211 10-18-2016 05:51 AM

Yep! I am 16+ months in and still have bouts of anxiety. I tried Natural Calm magnesium drink on the advice of my sponsor. It does not work like a benzo but it does help. I also get a lot of excercise. I have terrible anxiety during PMS - crippling anxiety - and walking every day for an hour on my lunch DEFINITELY helps!

sleepie 10-18-2016 06:02 AM

I have to suspect that lack of sleep figures in. The 2 non consecutive days where I actually slept a little and almost normally I didn't feel awful. But I am worn out to beyond the end of my rope with everything in life and I think I am burned out and beyond. Like these last 3 days I slept maybe 2 hours each. Today I feel shaky and anxious and have things that I have to do and all I want to do is be in a cool, dark place in silence and rest.

sg1970 10-18-2016 06:09 AM

Hi Sleepie,

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I would not wish them on my worst enemy. I have had them for 20+ years but only when driving.

A therapist has really helped me by:
1) teaching me mindful meditation which I can utilize while driving
2) Walked me through the physical mechanics of them so that I can use rational thinking to offset the irrational thinking.
3) helped me make a plan to gradually take baby steps by putting myself in situations where there is a high chance of success

I also see a Psychiatrist as well. I am taking zoloft. I really didn't want a pill either but it was becoming a quality of life issue. My Psychiatrist,s opinion is that I am predisposed to them and just therapy wasn't going to do it. They are going to be a lifelong issue.

Best wishes.

zjw 10-18-2016 06:36 AM

lack of sleep is KILLER for me sleepie. i cant think straght. I cant focus. I will even be winded all day long cuase i'm just so tired which leads to shortness of breathe then of course panic. I'll also be sick to my stomach from lack of sleep too.

Hands down lack of sleep is my biggest enemy right now. I'm i go from accepting i'll never sleep well again to fighting like crazy for a good nights rest.

I have no answer there wish i did.

Its incredibly amazing to me how well i feel after a good nights rest those are so fleeting tho.

SunnyDenver 10-18-2016 06:47 AM

I'll chime in that I wasn't too keen on pills either but after a while decided to give them a try. I'm on duloxetine for anxiety and depression and truth be told it's really helped. Meds don't have to be forever but they've really helped me, along with exercise, diet and meditation.

JesseJe 10-18-2016 07:29 AM

Hi there your adrenals might be depleted. There's lots of helpful non invasive life style changes online that can help with that.

Also 'being on' is incredibly draining I know because I'm a total introvert. Good luck!

sleepie 10-18-2016 08:35 AM

Hi guys.

What you have described zjw is exactly how I feel without sleep all the time.

I just want to say as far as meds, I was a addicted to benzos, they were a godsend and unfortunately I can no longer take them- withdrawal was a nightmare.

SSRI's (antidepressants) aggravate a tic disorder I live with and also I did take them in the past. As they aggravated the tics I have, I was then prescribed benzos. Worked like a charm, but benzo addiction. I also became obese on anti depressants, for the 1st and only time in my entire life- and it did not come off easily... I also wandered into prediabetic territory and I have to suspect the obesity brought on by the meds played into it which is quite distressing.

Diet and exercise- I have a catch 22 here because I need rest to exercise and when I don't sleep at all I also eat poorly.

I always feel like I am 1/2 alive and quite fatigued all the time.

SoberCAH 10-18-2016 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sg1970 (Post 6177781)
Hi Sleepie,

I'm sorry you are having this issue. I would not wish them on my worst enemy. I have had them for 20+ years but only when driving.

A therapist has really helped me by:
1) teaching me mindful meditation which I can utilize while driving
2) Walked me through the physical mechanics of them so that I can use rational thinking to offset the irrational thinking.
3) helped me make a plan to gradually take baby steps by putting myself in situations where there is a high chance of success

I also see a Psychiatrist as well. I am taking zoloft. I really didn't want a pill either but it was becoming a quality of life issue. My Psychiatrist,s opinion is that I am predisposed to them and just therapy wasn't going to do it. They are going to be a lifelong issue.

Best wishes.

I'm glad you mentioned anxiety from driving.

When I first got sober, I had terrible anxiety about interstate driving and driving at night.

But all of that went away in pretty short order.

Now, I drive over the road quite a bit, including at night.

theVman31 10-18-2016 10:36 AM

Anxiety gives me vertigo attacks and the buzzing in my ear go's out of control. Sometimes I have to cancel big meetings at the last minute because I can barely stand up. As of today no cure. I am wondering how I will manage the next episode....
Stinks.

sleepie 10-18-2016 02:19 PM

Being "on" is so, so stressful. Especially at bf's family. It wears me out because he is really selfish emotionally and I see what he has in such abundance and I just want to cry. I never had anyone who cared about my well being. Never, and I will never, ever know what unconditional love is. It's a hard way to go through life. I see what he has and I am good and I deliver, I am thoughtful and great with his folks and then when it comes time for my needs.... *chirp* chirp* chirp*... crickets.