SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   It's in the refrigerator (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/392922-its-refrigerator.html)

zjw 06-14-2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 5999531)
LOL omg this same guy that told you about working smarter/harder?

lol no old guy down the street told me about that.

This old guy down the street has been beneficial for me. It turns out he knew my grandmother grew up accross the street from her and new my grand fatehr as well.

Well one day in early sobriety i was having a really bad day. The city had threatened to make me get rid of the chickens and at that time it was one of the few things i had that made me smile during early sobriety. I was like how can this be! so i went out for a walk that day and ran into him. I stopped and told him my woes. He looked at me like a lost puppy said his wife had just broken her hip the other day and he was so worried and he had to do the offering for church and he did not know how to go about doing that etc..

He gave me a lot of perspective that day. as distraught as i was about my chickens . I thought oh man this poor guy his wife of I'm sure 50+ years jus tbroke her hip!!!

SoberCAH 06-14-2016 11:48 AM

Glad you are here and sober.

Thanks for opening up.

We live in a rough world and there will be plenty more hurtful circumstances for all of us.

I am 59 years old and my bad dreams don't involve falling off cliffs, unable to get out of a building on fire, etc.

Mine involve my father telling me I never really amounted to anything, like he predicted.

I guess it's because I have a deep-seated fear of failure.

And I have done okay by most standards, but my subconscious self must not have gotten the memo.

My wife and I were both English majors.

If I had it to do over, I would have done the same thing, albeit with a little more clarity of mind and work ethic than I mustered 40 years ago studying English.

After 20 years of working in Big Pharma, my wife opened an artsy gift shop that she has had for many years.

I am a transactional attorney (I don't sue people, I structure their estate plans and business endeavors), and I love it dearly.

And we have a working farm.

I like many sports and attend a fair amount of races and ball games of all types (well, not soccer).

But what I really like more than all of that is the arts.

In my law office, I have a framed picture of Ernest Hemingway and another one of Tennessee Williams, my favorite author and playwright, respectively.

We have a Hemingway room in our house, as well as a Jimmy Buffett room.

We go to quite a bit of theatre and performances.

I read about authors, composers, playwrights, musicians and painters all the time.

I don't read about athletes, Steve Gates, Steve Jobs, the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, etc.

I read about creative types.

I would give anything to have a creative spark, but I simply don't have it.

So I have to be content learning about all of these people and their crafts.

I try hard not to let other people define my vision of myself.

I need my own acceptance - not anyone else's.

As an aside, I would lose the beer, wine, vodka, schnapps, etc in your frig - it can't be a good thing.

I don't keep any of that in our frig.

Glad you're here.

tomsteve 06-14-2016 12:59 PM

resentment is like drinking poison expecting the other person to die- it destroys me while the other person is bothered one bit by it.

its a choice whether I let someone live rent free in my head and its a choice if I love myself or let others opinions of me drag me down.
it really was awesome,too, to take a look at causes and conditions for the resentments I carried towards the entire world and work on changing me, loving myself, and not care what others think of me.

ardy 06-14-2016 01:06 PM

sleepie and zjw...... grass and jobs and paying the bills.. have full time for just a bit.. in the form of 5 pay periods.. I will make 270.00 more per pay period then 4 weeks ago.. after August 20 I will still be doing the same job.. just as much of it. for 27.5hours a week and making 270.00 less in two weeks.. that may not sound like much to a bunch.. but when you have a check for 650.00 in two weeks its nicer then 514.00 in two weeks... businesses that take people to part time to cut their cuts only give the money to higher paid people.. who complain that they don't have enough... me kids I just keep trying to pay what I can put some food on the table.. hold on to a couple of pennies for the weekend and wave bye bye to so much.. why do I volunteer.. I can do a ton of expensive events and have goodies given to me for my efforts.. so its not bad.. grass is greener not really.. my daughter never has enough time.. love her to bits for all the photos on face book. she does.. for I get to see and smell and then I cook the foods of the cities she is in.. Paris London Spain San Fran Tampa Bay... Canada hey hahahhahaha love to you all plant a garden and see life grow be happy and smell the flowers.. peace with whipped cream on it.. love ardy

sleepie 06-14-2016 01:17 PM

Ardy that is great! That is a very nice increase! I wish they would just give you full time for good.

Delfin 06-14-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 5999356)
Oh, here I nearly forgot...

Someone else got to go and enjoy the tall cold one :rolleyes:

You beat temptation. Yay! :You_Rock_

D.

sleepie 06-14-2016 09:02 PM

Thanks Delf :)