SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   SR yes, AA no (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/371777-sr-yes-aa-no.html)

Easilypleased 07-17-2015 01:42 PM

SR yes, AA no

I am over two years sober, I've had a solid recovery so far. I'm a much better person for it and my life has improved beyond belief. That being said just lately I've been having the odd thought about drinking, hence some of my recent posts, I did the sensible thing tonight and went to an AA meeting. Its the second one I've been to. I couldn't believe what one of the leaders (if that's what you call them) in the meeting said to me. He said 'you are a dry drunk and a non drinker that isn't receiving help in the form of counselling/AA is worse that the same person drinking'. So he might as well have said I would have been better off drinking for the last two years! I though this was a very negative and stupid thing to say. He has no idea who I am, what works for me and what I've been doing for my own recovery. If that's one of the leaders then count me out. I wouldn't have minded but a few of the others around him were all agreeing. I thought this advice was terribly mis-guided and although they may have been trying to help, I found it very unnecessary. I wont be returning and it just makes me feel stronger for the next two years and the two after that........

I just thought I'd add this though - I have always found the advice on SR very positive and it has helped me a great deal in my recovery so far

least 07-17-2015 01:53 PM

That was a very unhelpful thing for someone to say. :(

Easilypleased 07-17-2015 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 5470125)
That was a very unhelpful thing for someone to say. :(

Thanks, I know I sound very negative and that AA helps a lot of people but I also think it's not the be all and end all. Yes I've had some thoughts about drinking recently but I've dealt with them in my own way and I feel stronger than ever now. I just hope it proves to people that AA isn't the only answer.

BackToSquareOne 07-17-2015 02:19 PM

You are always going to find overzealous people in any large group, I've heard people say that if you quit without AA then you were probably never a "Real Alcoholic'". I just ignore those type of comments.

neferkamichael 07-17-2015 02:27 PM

Easilypleased, 2 years sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. I left AA for as much as you say too, and yes, SR is simply the best for support, and the bottom line program is, "just don't drink, no matter what,". I am now 5 years sober and I'm not following any kind of program. And please ignore anyone who says your a dry drunk, rootin for ya. :egypt:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...2/DSC_7262.jpg

JeffreyAK 07-17-2015 02:42 PM

I've heard similar things in AA meetings (also Lifering, also Smart...), it's not that unusual. I think they are the "dry drunks", angry intolerant obsessive people who fixate on their own particular philosophy (or one they read in a book) that worked for them, and who never achieve the serenity, strength and compassion that ought to accompany long-term sobriety. :)

48heath 07-17-2015 02:45 PM

There are no leaders in meetings of AA.

You cannot judge a Worldwide fellowship of Alcoholics on two meetings.

Clearly AA is not for you if you are that judgemental.

It really annoys me when people feel the need to come on these forums to complain about something they know nothing about.

Easilypleased 07-17-2015 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 48heath (Post 5470185)
It really annoys me when people feel the need to come on these forums to complain about something they know nothing about.

I know that 2 years sober without AA is better than 2 years drinking

Copper442 07-17-2015 03:29 PM

I'm sorry that was said to you. Ridiculous. Two years is a wonderful achievement! I'm not a fan of AA myself, but could you possibly try out a different meeting if you feel like you need a bit of face to face encouragement/support?

Either way, I hope you'll stick around here and post often. SR really is an awesome source for support.

Wastinglife 07-17-2015 03:29 PM

I go to different AA meetings around the city. Each group is different than the other I have found. From 5 people meeting at 6:30 am in a classroom to 100 people meeting at night in a church basement. Very different experiences. Take what you want from AA, leave what you don't like. That's what I do. I'm just trying to stay sober.

sugarbear1 07-17-2015 04:11 PM

that was just another person's opinion. alkies are full of 'em

ScottFromWI 07-17-2015 04:18 PM

Let's keep the comments productive and judgement/arguments out of the discussion please :-)

Fly N Buy 07-17-2015 04:54 PM

Glad you found something that works for you and sounds like you got through issue of wanting to drink. We are all after the same goal.

AA has helped me stay stopped and worked on other issues as well. AA stole my anger like a thief in the night :)

All who are sober here today are winners!!!

miamifella 07-17-2015 05:47 PM

I had a similar experience but stuck around for a longer time.

There is a lot of good to AA, so you might want to look at some of the literature (or maybe even revisit at some point). However, AA can be a judgmental, all-or-nothing kind of place...which makes sense since that kind of thinking is typical of addicts.

SR can be the same...but it stings less to read than said to your face.

The great thing is that on SR you can ask questions and most people are cool with that. If I had been able to get the answers I got here earlier it would have saved me years of heartache and frustration.

toadie54 07-17-2015 05:49 PM

Congrats on 2 years and I hope for the day where you don't even have to keep counting, just live the sober life!

Venecia 07-17-2015 05:57 PM

Congrats on two-plus years sober. And I am sorry that you had a bad experience with one individual in AA at one meeting.

We lived such incomplete, unfulfilled lives during active alcoholism. This is a place filled with people who stay here in part to help others and in part to help ensure they continue living in the solution.

People take different paths to sobriety. What matters is that they get there and they stay there.

That's why this thread makes me sad. While I appreciate the kudos for SR, I don't see the value or purpose in making an infrequent appearance here for negative reasons. Many of our fellow journeyers got sober and are staying sober because of their choice to commit to the program. Why not live and let live?

Again, congrats on your sobriety.

Kevin78 07-17-2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 48heath (Post 5470185)
There are no leaders in meetings of AA.

You cannot judge a Worldwide fellowship of Alcoholics on two meetings.

Agreed.

AA works for me, I have attended since I stopped drinking (5 months), and feel I couldn't manage without it now. Maybe I am lucky to stay in the West of Scotland, The meetings here are very supportive and not judgemental.

fini 07-17-2015 07:59 PM

EP,
no leaders in AA. but yeah, sure, opinions abound. there as here.
here's mine: no need to prove to anyone that AA or anything else is the only answer.

nothing needs proving here.

in fact though - you may not know this - it was Bill W who said "the roads to recovery are many".

glad you found your own way and congratulations on two years.

Easilypleased 07-17-2015 08:12 PM

I'm sorry if some of you have found my comments negative. I thought it helpful to show that I've managed two years of sobriety and that there are limitless ways to sobriety, it's just choosing what works best for that individual.

Ken33xx 07-18-2015 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Easilypleased (Post 5470116)
I am over two years sober, I've had a solid recovery so far. I'm a much better person for it and my life has improved beyond belief. That being said just lately I've been having the odd thought about drinking, hence some of my recent posts, I did the sensible thing tonight and went to an AA meeting. Its the second one I've been to. I couldn't believe what one of the leaders (if that's what you call them) in the meeting said to me. He said 'you are a dry drunk and a non drinker that isn't receiving help in the form of counselling/AA is worse that the same person drinking'. So he might as well have said I would have been better off drinking for the last two years! I though this was a very negative and stupid thing to say. He has no idea who I am, what works for me and what I've been doing for my own recovery. If that's one of the leaders then count me out. I wouldn't have minded but a few of the others around him were all agreeing. I thought this advice was terribly mis-guided and although they may have been trying to help, I found it very unnecessary. I wont be returning and it just makes me feel stronger for the next two years and the two after that........

I just thought I'd add this though - I have always found the advice on SR very positive and it has helped me a great deal in my recovery so far

Congratulations on two years and try a different meeting next time.

There are toxic members in aa just like you'll find in any large support group