SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   How to approach doctor appointment (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/344659-how-approach-doctor-appointment.html)

Fandy 09-10-2014 07:02 PM

I just tried to give you some insight as to how patients are perceived. Not giving your physician pertinent information does not help you, nor does dx'ing yourself, let your primary doc help you and determine your health.
There is a lot of supposing here and speculation on how patients perceive the physician thinks....what really goes on is quite different and based on logic and true knowledge-based.
I hope that you have a good visit and your sobriety shows how much your body has healed. Not sharing truthful information wont help you. Your doctor is on your side. I sincerely doubt it will affect your insurance coverage.

closetlobster 09-10-2014 07:05 PM

I'm planning on doing what you're doing. I got a blood test result back with drink-related liver enzymes at elevated levels. In a year's time, I'll get those reviewed.

Ask for a major BT (liver, blood cell count, kidney, pancreas, glucose). Also a regular check up of BP, heart stress etc.

Good luck!

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 07:10 PM

For what it's worth I never intended not to be truthful with the doctor.

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 07:12 PM

Closetlobster, what does BT stand for? Sounds like those are all the things I wanted to have checked.

jdooner 09-10-2014 07:17 PM

Interview the Dr. like a lawyer and ask what they will report and that this is a concern (truth). They will understand this happens all the time. They are not out to get you and most Drs. are more frustrated with this system than the patients. In this process you will either feel more comfortable or not and then can disclose more info. You are not currently active so there is no definition for alcoholic in medical terms. You are not going to this Dr for mental health issues (DSM V). You are not physically alcohol dependent but you could simply say you are concerned about your health and felt you drank at level that gave you some past concerns and are feeling....(list the symptoms).

They will do a full analysis and things are probably worse in your head. Our bodies have an amazing ability to heal. Good luck!

closetlobster 09-10-2014 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SoberJennie (Post 4891818)
Closetlobster, what does BT stand for? Sounds like those are all the things I wanted to have checked.

BT = blood test

:)

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 07:35 PM

Didnt want to assume.

bigsombrero 09-10-2014 07:46 PM

I had an appointment with a doctor this past summer to deal with anxiety issues. When I mentioned that I didn't drink alcohol, the doctor looked at me and asked: "Have you had problems with alcohol in the past?" -- I told her that yep, there were problems. Due to that quick discussion, she took solutions like xanax and other benzos off the table. My AV was angry, but inside I felt great about bringing up the subject. We ended up finding a safe, non-addictive remedy and I am happy we did.

Alcoholism is a medical condition in the eyes of medical professionals. If you've passed kidney stones, had an aneurism, or had a history of high blood pressure, you would certainly include that helpful information to a doc. IMO, nothing can be hurt by mentioning the topic. If you leave it out, you might also start feeling that you're "hiding something" and that starts to bring up those sneaky feelings again.

Glad you asked the question, there's some great feedback here. Do what works for you! And good luck! :)

Verte 09-10-2014 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jdooner (Post 4891632)
[...]pre-existing conditions can have an impact on life insurance and other insurance related issues. If you are not concerned with any of these then by all means simply be forthright with the Dr. - no reason to send him or her on a wild goose chase.

I agree, life insurance qualification is better considered now, especially if you are healthy and have an upcoming surgery.

:grouphug:

silentrun 09-10-2014 08:16 PM

I hadn't been to a doctor in years and went in when I was 4 months clean. I straight told him I was there because I had been drinking heavily and wanted to make sure I hadn't done any damage. He wasn't the least bit phased by it. I smoked and he put down "tobacco use disorder" but I he didn't put down "alcohol abuse disorder" because I had quit. Everything came back normal. You can be proud to sit there and say you took care of it.

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 08:24 PM

My husband and I both have life insurance. Will it affect what we already have? Seriously concerned.

I'm going to do as Jdooner suggested. Interview the doc up front and let him know I am concerned about how he is going to code me and it affecting my health and life insurance in the future. My guess is he'll understand exactly what I mean, and will be able to tell me whether I have anything to be concerned about as far as a permanent health record.

MelindaFlowers 09-10-2014 08:32 PM

Jennie,

That sounds like a great plan. I've been wondering about the same issue as you with the doctor and this thread has given me some great insight as well. Thank you for starting it!

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 08:36 PM

Good deal, Melinda. Glad to have helped someone else in the process :)

When I go in I'll just try and feel him out to see how he responds to my questions and concerns. That's the best I've got at this point. If I have doubts, all I have to do is walk away.

I'm guessing he gets this question from others, and since he has good reviews he must know how to handle a situation like this.

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 08:36 PM

And will be sure to report back here on the thread how it goes.

Soberpotamus 09-10-2014 08:37 PM

I'm getting excited to find out these things! I've been wanting to know for the past year if anything is wrong with me. I used to be super healthy in my 20's and so I'm hoping for the best here. But going in without expectations. I am going to brace myself for anything.

Soberpotamus 09-11-2014 03:27 PM

I called a doctor's office today to make an appointment. I made sure they accept my insurance. The receptionist asked me what I needed done. I told her I'd like a blood test done on my liver, pancreas, kidneys, glucose levels, etc. She told me upfront that they don't accept new patients who are asking for pain pills, xanax, and a few others. I was like... ok. Then she asked me if I was looking for any of that. I told her, no, I am looking for blood work to be done. Lol. Anyway... that was weird. And not a great first impression. She said, ok, I'll be calling you back. I've not heard back yet. Sounds like a flake.

Fandy 09-12-2014 01:01 PM

maybe you can ask someone you work with or a friend who is their primary care physician. this sounds terrible.

most offices don't ask why you want bloodwork, nor does the patient "place the order" themselves, your insurance won't cover tests without a reason or a dx code.

you make an appointment when you call the doctor, new patients take longer, so they schedule more time, then you discuss your concerns with the physician and nurse practitioner.

Soberpotamus 09-12-2014 01:04 PM

A friend suggested a doctor but he isn't accepting new patients, otherwise I would've gone there.

Yeah, this doc office doesn't sound the best. I've never been told these things before. Usually, they set an appointment, you show up, talk to the doc. Sounds like this woman doesn't want me there for whatever reason. I've never been told... "ok, we will call you back."

Soberpotamus 09-12-2014 01:18 PM

Maybe I shouldn't bother. I don't feel like having to qualify myself to them anyway. Just sick of red tape bs.

RobbyRobot 09-12-2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by SoberJennie (Post 4895047)
Maybe I shouldn't bother. I don't feel like having to qualify myself to them anyway. Just sick of red tape bs.

Don't quit on yourself, Jennie. :)

Keep working the problem and you'll result in a working solution you'll eventually be satisfied with your efforts on your behalf. :)

Blood work and general exams are important accomplishments. Your totally worth the effort. :)