Notices

How to approach doctor appointment

Old 09-10-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to approach doctor appointment

I've been thinking lately that I'll schedule an appointment with a doctor for a checkup. I'm approaching 1.5 years sobriety, which has given my body time to work out some of the "kinks" and do whatever it's going to do to correct any issues related to my past drinking. I didn't want to schedule one right away - I wanted to wait a while to let things heal a bit. I figured there was no use in going in right away since I didn't have any major symptoms when I quit.

I've been thinking about what I'll tell the doctor up front. I've thought of two different approaches. One - just go in and tell him I want a full checkup to see if anything is wrong, and let him find whatever might be wrong. Two - go in and tell them I want to look for any sort of drinking related problems... liver, pancreas, blood sugar issues, PMS symptoms, etc. I have reason to think that I've developed a blood sugar issue as a result of my drinking, possibly some liver damage because it's tender sometimes (could be my pancreas too), my left toe is getting numb and has some soreness (comes and goes), and now I've started getting these crazy emotional mood swings just before my period where I get very depressed and nearly irrational at times. Basically, my emotions get so out of whack that it's hard to reason through them. But, going into the period I'm well aware of this and try to remember it's just my period. Regardless, it's kind of scary. Sometimes it's severe.

My fears are that I have something wrong with my liver, my toe is the beginning of peripheral neuropathy, the PMS might be premenstrual dysphoria, and I might be in the pre-stages of diabetes II.

Should I let the doc know my concerns? Or just go in as if nothing's wrong and let them figure out it so as not to come across as overly concerned?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

now days what seems to be in is a (full workup) with a blood test

EKG is always a good thing to also have if covered (heart stress test)
depending on age -- Colonoscopy ??

MM
Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I was thinking of asking for full blood tests, Bob. Exactly.

Um, I'll pass on the colonoscopy lol.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

your braver then me. I play stupid when i go in half the time.

I agree with the go for the full blood work up put your mind at ease thats the best bet.

I dunno that i'd mention the alcohol use etc.. if it where me i'd just get the blood work done etc.. roll the dice and see how it goes. Of course I think i only was fooling myself when i thought i was fooling my doc about my drinking. I still dont really know for sure tho.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be honest with the doctor. If not you are cutting yourself short on care and potentially making he or she guess at things they should not.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I could care less what the doctor thinks about my drinking. My reasoning was which would be better as far as getting an unbiased and accurate diagnosis, you know?
Old 09-10-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

write a list of all your concerns, hand it to the doc
Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Guess they'll have that intake sheet where I answer a thousand questions. I'll write it my concerns on that paper.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'd definitely highlight your concerns over possible alcohol damage, sometimes my Dr needs some landing lights as to what he's supposed to be looking for!!

That way you'll get the proper reassurance and not question did he even think to look at that!!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Should I let the doc know my concerns? Or just go in as if nothing's wrong and let them figure out it so as not to come across as overly concerned?
Perhaps I'm too literal of a person, but why would you even bother making an appointment if you aren't going to share your health concerns? I have to say that it as a huge relief for me to not only get the physical testing necessary, but also simply share my concerns.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, Scott, it is because I was wondering if I'd lead him to wrong conclusions if I walk in there with a list telling him how to diagnose me. I may be completely off the mark. Not that they won't be able to rule things out quickly, I know they will. But I figured if I went in with this long list I'd also get branded as some sort of hypochondriac, which I'm not at all.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well, Scott, it is because I was wondering if I'd lead him to wrong conclusions if I walk in there with a list telling him how to diagnose me. I may be completely off the mark. Not that they won't be able to rule things out quickly, I know they will. But I figured if I went in with this long list I'd also get branded as some sort of hypochondriac, which I'm not at all.
My personal opinion ( and I know others feel differntly ) is that it's much better to simply be honest. If you think something might be a problem, simply say so. Some people feel embarrased to do so and write it down on paper, perhaps you could try that? It's much better to give too much info and find out nothing is wrong, rather than say nothign and find out after it's too late in my book.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, well I'm not embarrassed really. I mean what I say when I say I'm only hesitating because I want an unbiased diagnosis
Old 09-10-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

But I do agree... I'd rather be upfront about it. So, guess I will!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh, well I'm not embarrassed really. I mean what I say when I say I'm only hesitating because I want an unbiased diagnosis
You sound like me! I don't want a doctor hanging on to a tangent and staying there if it's unnecessary.

Have you been to this doctor before? If you tell him or her, then of course they will (or should) focus on your concerns. I hate going to new doctors....many seem to disappoint me.

If it was my old Doctor, however, I would have no problem telling him and knowing he would make rational assessments, without just focusing on the drinking issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lol, ah... yes you've nailed it Croissant. My biggest concern is actually because I don't know the doc and have never been there before I think that's why I've put it off... and it's because I am afraid to be disappointed or upset. I recently changed orthodontists because of this very thing - I felt critical of the way they handled some things so I switched. Glad I did, but nerve wracking at the same time. Yeah, I just have no idea what to expect, and I've scoured the internet reading reviews on this doc, lol!! I need to relax and just go
Old 09-10-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, I get what you mean. It's not a good idea to say too many leading things, though the dr 'should' be professional enough to deal with that. However, you have some serious concerns that probably won't be addressed unless you bring them up. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

i completely agree with scott
Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks, Anna. I might make the appointment tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SJ - When I finally went for a checkup, I was totally honest with my dr. I'm a former nurse (lost that career to addiction) but know a doctor can't really help you if you don't tell them your history. To me, that includes all those forms about family history, as well as drinking, drug use, tobacco abuse, etc.

For me, I've never been treated with anything other than respect. I had to get another dr., same practice, when original one left, and both of them are great, ask me questions as they know someone who is addicted.

It helps a doctor to know your history as it can narrow down what tests you need. For me, a liver profile test is not a normal thing but because I used crack, used to drink and did opiates, it was what I needed.

I vote for being honest. If the doctor is biased or judgmental? Find another one - there are really good doctors out there.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy