SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Tired of fooling myself and others (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/325472-tired-fooling-myself-others.html)

Arbor 03-24-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone (Post 4528084)
What do you mean by "slipped?" Do you still keep alcohol in your house?

Unfortunately my wife still drinks. She enjoys it responsibly. Where I don't and probably never will. So I slipped up last week. I plan to remain sober today.

doggonecarl 03-24-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Arbor8 (Post 4547734)
Unfortunately my wife still drinks. She enjoys it responsibly. Where I don't and probably never will. So I slipped up last week. I plan to remain sober today.

Have you asked if she'd mind forgoing it (alcohol) while you are trying to get a foundation of sobriety under you?

I understand that we can't expect others to adjust to our non-drinking. But when I quit, alcohol was no longer brought into the house. My wife, who didn't have a problem, never said a thing about wanting to buy it, or drink it.

By not asking your wife to join you in abstaining, and keeping alcohol in your house, I have to think, self-sabotage.

BrendonM 03-24-2014 09:57 AM

It is amazing how convincing the alcoholic voice in your head isn't it?

Come on, just a beer... it won't hurt.

The desire to be normal has been a thorn in my side for so long.

Deluxe 03-25-2014 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Arbor8 (Post 4523358)
Thanks for all the encouragement everybody. As I'm sure you've all been there. I'm looking forward to 24 hrs of sobriety today.

I don't even count my days anymore. Couldn't care less and if anything I found it nonconstructive.

Just one day at a time. I am sober today and I plan to be sober tomorrow but I'll handle tomorrow's sobriety tomorrow. Works for me. One day at a time.

Dee74 03-25-2014 07:56 PM

What are you doing for your recovery Arbor? :)

D

Arbor 03-26-2014 05:47 AM

Right now just reading the big book and SR. I read Rational Recovery back in the fall but it didn't sink in enough. I understand though that this site and just reading may not and is probably not enough long term. Seeking spirituality sounds exciting to me right now.

Michael66 03-26-2014 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arbor8 (Post 4523041)
I guess I'm still struggling internally with the life long commitment of sobriety and if its right for me.

Hi Arbor

I think something to consider is that for many of us that commitment gets a lot easier and then even enjoyable over time.

I know some are wary of thinking too much about the rest of life, but I found that I needed to face up to that. To begin with my acceptance was reluctant; I didn't want to do it but I knew I needed to do it. But as the months past I got more and more comfortable with it, and I can honestly say I love the idea of looking forward to life-long sobriety now.

Maybe put the question of life-long sobriety on hold; or perhaps just note your feelings on it over time and see whether your response to the thought of it changes.

Well done on promising to yourself that you wouldn't drink today.

Amajorityofone 03-26-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Deluxe (Post 4550700)
I don't even count my days anymore. Couldn't care less and if anything I found it nonconstructive.

Just one day at a time.

Amen.

How are you doing today Arbor? :)

Arbor 03-26-2014 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Amajorityofone (Post 4551635)
Amen. How are you doing today Arbor? :)

Doing well. Doing well today. Thanks for asking! Been a great week so far. Reading lots. Feeling lots!