SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   occasionally I just like to count days sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/313219-occasionally-i-just-like-count-days-sober.html)

Mountainmanbob 11-11-2013 06:52 AM

occasionally I just like to count days sober

not to brag up my sober days in any way
but
occasionally I just like to see my sober days called out on my desktop
to be honest I wouldn't even be exactly sure of my days sober
if they were not there in my face each day
I see nothing wrong with keeping track of total days sober
if some of you would want to join in
please feel free to post your days of sobriety here

if I keep doing what I have been doing for over 6 years now
each day sober is a record for me
note -- this is after many, many attempts to stay sober

today I have 2,212 days sober

yes -- I'm very grateful
for my life is not a battle today
the drinking war is over
if
I do not deceive myself yet again
as I have done so many times before
thinking that this time I can control my drinking
in my case (always proven to be wrong)

have a blessed day
Mountainmanbob

silentrun 11-11-2013 07:22 AM

I don't count days but I still get inspired when I hear a number like that.

Amajorityofone 11-11-2013 07:56 AM

congratulations! :c011:

I reckon if you put a gun to my head i could tell you how many days I've been sober but I prefer to put my energy into that which is before me, not that which is behind.

Example-

Last night I learned from a 101 year old man that just ran his 10th marathon that the inclusion of broccoli, green tea and spirulina into your daily diet will increase your energy level and life expectancy tremendously.

I'm going to add these items to my grocery list today.

Good luck and God Bless :)

ippochick 11-11-2013 07:59 AM

i just checked mine and i have 40 days today. that's 40 days getting sober in AA. the mental obsession is lifting and i am ready to find a sponsor and work the steps.

congrats on your sober time, mountain man. keep on keeping on!

Doug39 11-11-2013 08:04 AM

I am at 106 days sober.

I look forward to a time that I have been sober for so long that I don't think about booze at all. I quit pot and cigarette years ago and couldn't tell you the day or year I quit.

I still think about taking a drink every hour of the day, everyday. Counting sober days are a good thing but doing it also keeps my mind on drinking - as does coming to this forum.

Good and bad in everything I suppose.

Mountainmanbob 11-11-2013 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by ippochick (Post 4286802)
i just checked mine and i have 40 days today. that's 40 days

That's really great
I still remember and wish to never forget
when I couldn't get 40 minutes without a drink
mm

DG0409 11-11-2013 08:40 AM

315 days no cigarettes, 217 days no alcohol, 117 days no weed.

I count each day. It's also kind of a reminder to not smoke, drink or use each day. It's a reminder of how far I've come... and where I could be in an instant if I forget the dangers. It's a reminder to be thankful for my sobriety and not take it for granted.

And it inspires me to work on other goals and serves to remind me how far I can come if I take things one day at a time.

I don't think of it in terms of how long I've deprived myself of a substance because I don't feel deprived. I feel thankful for each day sober. It's a reminder not of drinking/using but of sobriety.

Tamerua 11-11-2013 08:49 AM

I'm a numbers dork so I like to count the days. 331 for me. And congrats to all on making the change!

gaffo 11-11-2013 08:57 AM

I just counted that I'm on day #742 from alcohol and now that I think about it I smoked my last cigarette on 11/9/94, 6938 days ago. I couldn't believe that I would be rid of either one of those habits at one time. I am thankful every day that I don't want to smoke or drink anymore whether I put a number on it or not.

MIRecovery 11-11-2013 09:15 AM

Im not a huge day counter but when I do look I stay to myself, "That is amazing because for 20 yrs I couldnt make it a day." Not only is recovery possible it is pretty darn good."

Doug39 11-11-2013 09:40 AM

Oddly enough I remember the day I started drinking everyday; it was Memorial Day 1989 - I was 25 years old.

Of course I drank before that; the first time I got drunk was on whiskey at age 11 but throughout my teens and early 20's I rarely drank and only got drunk maybe 10 times total. I then went like a 4 year stretch without drinking at all and than on Memorial Day 1989 I got drunk with my then girlfriend's father and drank everyday for the next 25 years.

FBL 11-11-2013 10:31 AM

Carlotta 11-11-2013 10:41 AM

[IMG]I reckon if you put a gun to my head i could tell you how many days I've been sober but I prefer to put my energy into that which is before me, not that which is behind.[/IMG]
Well, that's you...

I am not a day counter either but I think counting days and going 24 hours at a time can be a useful tool for some in early sobriety and I truly appreciate people like Bob and others who post in the 24 hours club. It shows the new person who might feel a bit discouraged and overwhelmed that it can be done, one day at a time if need be.

Thank you MountainmanBob :)

Amajorityofone 11-11-2013 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Carlotta (Post 4287049)
Well, that's you...

I am not a day counter either but I think counting days and going 24 hours at a time can be a useful tool for some in early sobriety and I truly appreciate people like Bob and others who post in the 24 hours club. It shows the new person who might feel a bit discouraged and overwhelmed that it can be done, one day at a time if need be.

Thank you MountainmanBob :)

I agree... to a point.

I counted the first 90 days I went without smoking cigarettes then I stopped counting altogether. That was nineteen years ago.

Olive1 11-11-2013 12:25 PM

Lots of counting threads lately. :)
I counted the days for the first few months, then I counted the months for the first year and a half, then I counted the years.
I had to go to the AA sobriety counter to figure out my days now:

Most of those the best days of my life.
:)

GracieLou 11-11-2013 01:04 PM

I don't do it everyday but once in a while I figure out the days.

I use the one on the AA Grapevine!

Days: 232
Hours: 5,584
Minutes: 335,041
Seconds: 20,102,515, 16, 17, 18............ :dance8:

Sudz No More 11-11-2013 01:11 PM

For me daily counting after 90 days seems obsessive but my wife still writes everyday on the calendar and sometimes congratulates me. I would have to go look at the calendar but my count is somewhere around 310. I am approaching a year in mid January.

Doug39 11-11-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sudz No More (Post 4287263)
I am approaching a year in mid January.

That is awesome.

I am at 106 days sober. I don't like to say I will "never" drink again because it is too much pressure.

My last goal was to make it past the wedding I had to go to last Saturday and I did it.

My new goal is to go 1 year without drinking. I will then take it from there.

deeker 11-11-2013 02:21 PM

ty for the thread MMB! 318 :)

Mountainmanbob 11-11-2013 05:06 PM

big thing for our loved ones

Originally Posted by Sudz No More (Post 4287263)

For me daily counting after 90 days seems obsessive but my wife still writes everyday on the calendar and sometimes congratulates me.

just goes to show
that our being sober
can be a very big thing for our loved ones
should give us a real clue
of how important this sobriety thing should be to us

my family life has improved 100% since sobering up

as I thank God for that
and
I know that my wife thanks God for me being sober also

my rough drinking times carried right over into her sweet life
(making it not that sweet) !!

MM