SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   When Does Being Sober Begin? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/301477-when-does-being-sober-begin.html)

SoberMarine 07-21-2013 06:18 AM

SugarBear1: I REALLY like your way of thinking. And you're not complicating things at all. I may go with the same rationale. The last day I drank (7 July), I had more beer in the fridge I could have easily tapped into, it was early enough in the evening, I had the next day off from work, I could have EASILY continued to drink…but something inside of me felt I was wasting my time and doing more harm to myself than good. I decided then to stop drinking and had dinner instead. So, yeah, as you stated, the last day I drank is the is the first day I didn't drink. Thanks, SugarBear!

EndGameNYC, Ippochick, NeferkaMichael: Thank you VERY much for your perspectives, and for your inspiration!

EndGameNYC: For me, I believe, the number of days sober will matter less as I reach major milestones (1 month, 1 year, etc.), and as alcohol isn't even a thought or factor. For now, and for many, each day matters a LOT. For some, just remaining sober the remainder of the day is a challenge, so each day sober is a celebration, and rightfully so. For example, here I sit in my home, alone, at 9AM on a Sunday. I could very easily spend my day drinking, so my challenge is to remain sober today and to get to tomorrow. I shall!

Ippochick: Thanks for sharing your account with us. I'm also glad you didn't have that 'final' drink because it very well could have been final. Thanks for sharing your strength with us and for inspiring us, Ippo!

NefermaMichael: Thanks :) Two weeks sober today :)

Johno1967 07-21-2013 02:03 PM

SoberMarine, they certainly were the days. I joined the reserves about 10 years after I got out of full time and was drinking the guys almost half my age under the table. The Officers were appalled and said at my age i should be trying to be a role model and mentor to the teenagers joining up. They were not sad to see me go. The culture had changed. Nowadays they have a almost zero tolerance approach. Same as the states, they can cut guys loose for indiscretions that 25 years ago were pretty mild compared to the shenanigans we got up to.

Moved into the mining game in early 90s after army and same rules applied. Work hard, play harder. Used to rock up to work absolutely reeking. Nowadays they test everyone everyday for BAC 0.000. Still I had it down to a fine art and found if I stuck to a six pack of mid strength beer and bottle of wine and called it quits at 11, I could front with zero BAC. Sometimes it failed me and I used to keep a breathalyzer by my bed to see how I was tracking thorough the night! Constant fear of getting caught and losing my job. Some of the drillers could put away twice that and still blow zeroes, such was their livers!
Nowadays I front to work hangover and fear free. What a pleasure.

bigsombrero 07-21-2013 02:15 PM

Remember, just because it's your first day sober doesn't mean you are celebrating a wonderful day. My 'first day' of sobriety was accompanied by a seizure and hospitalization and tubes in my arms. That was 7/7/12. A terrible day, by anyone's standards.

In my eyes it does not matter, picking between the two dates is fine - the most important thing is continuing to do the work to arrive at a celebration point! Good luck!