SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Normality scares me? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/299041-normality-scares-me.html)

Bluebird1927 06-27-2013 11:16 PM

Thank you both for your congratulations. I feel like I definitely have a different attitude this sobriety attempt and it's good to know it gets better. I am taking it one day at a time. Plenty of reading and plenty of praying. Thanks

Michael66 06-27-2013 11:32 PM

Hey Bluebird - well done!

For me the first three months were pretty miserable - I was lethargic, irritable, fidgety, mildly depressed and grumpy. I didn't sleep well - and I was thoroughly irritated that I seemed to be feeling worse than when I was drinking. From about three months onwards with me the "fog" started lifting and slowly I got energy back and started feeling happy. For the first few months I simply accepted sobriety as necessary. From about 6 months I started to really grow to like it and then to love it.

But from your last few posts it sounds like you're already starting to feel much better. That's great - though beware the feeling of "if it's this quick to kick and feel better then I can have a drink and easily get back to sobriety again".

Tamerua 06-28-2013 01:34 AM

Just because you're sober doesn't mean you're normal! :p

I have never been normal... But I am finding that what I considered normal was a concept that was only in my head. That's the part in fixing.

Congrats on 11 days!

Bluebird1927 06-29-2013 12:54 AM

I am starting to feel much better already thank you. My sleeps are heaven sent. Deep and refreshing. Oh I'm far from normal sober myself, in fact I think I lose more inhibitions and become more confident. It's awesome!

First kind of test today, out with my mate to watch Australia v The Lions in a pub. Would have been an all dayer back in the day but I'm going to be home by 2pm. Exit strategy sorted, reading and prayers done. Bring it on.

soberlicious 06-29-2013 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird1927
Oh I'm far from normal sober myself, in fact I think I lose more inhibitions and become more confident. It's awesome!

I have experienced the same.

degadar 06-29-2013 02:58 PM

Hi bluebird, well done.

I don’t think you will know what your sober self is like yet. I didn’t

After drinking for 20 something years my sober self took a while to discover. The ‘constantly on edge` feeling was something I had for months. The physical symptoms didn’t last that long, then there were the dreams and nightmares, but that on-edge feeling that felt like I had my head in a vice lasted a while.

But it goes, you know, slowly but surely. Every day just gets a bit better. Still good days and bad days, but just better and better as time goes on.

It’s 10 years now. The memories of what it did to me are still there, and I’m still thankful every day that I don’t have to drink today, and I’m free to do what i want rather than plan my life around drink. It’s brilliant. Keep on at it. The best is yet to come, and as things go it’s bloody brilliant.