SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Would you date a recovering alcoholic? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/294598-would-you-date-recovering-alcoholic.html)

KAD 06-17-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by purpleknight (Post 4723800)
Part of this thread would make me want to simply say I'm teetotal and don't drink (which I don't) if I met someone!! . . . that way the label "recovering alcoholic" wouldn't rule me out of some people's criteria!! . . . relationships have similarities with job interviews, start with mentioning the positives and don't dwell on the negatives!! :)

Precisely my point! Why draw attention to it by slapping the label "recovering alcoholic" on yourself? It kinda goes hand in hand with a thread I started elsewhere about telling people - friends, relatives, former mates, etc. - that I'm an alcoholic. Of what benefit would that be? If you are no longer living that way, or a potential love interest is no longer living that way, then just be normal people! In that thread, most people were agreeing that that would be the best policy. If you make such a big damn deal out of it, it becomes an even bigger damn deal.

Mountainmanbob 06-17-2014 12:56 PM

I'm teetotal and don't drink (which I don't) if I met someone!!

That works perfect

KAD 06-17-2014 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by haennie (Post 4722284)
Hey Guys,

An interesting and relevant test that I like:
Attachment Styles and Close Relationships

It was an interesting test. It says I'm "preoccupied." It says that like its a bad thing. :/

Cow 06-17-2014 01:21 PM

To be total honest, would depend on how crazy they is. :) I says that tongue in cheek, but also not. I mean, everybody got they crazy. Let me put this way: I would certainly NO DATE ME.

Raider 06-17-2014 01:32 PM

I'm with Cow. I wouldn't date me either. No I would not date one. Never.

KAD 06-17-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 4723931)
I'm with Cow. I wouldn't date me either. No I would not date one. Never.

But would you ever want someone to date you?

Cow 06-17-2014 02:09 PM

That whole other question! Is of course gratifying when someone want to date you. But not change fact that would be foolish to date Cow. I not saying I NEVER would date recover addict. I just saying, first, very, very thorough and long term observations would be in order.

KAD 06-17-2014 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cow (Post 4724010)
That whole other question! Is of course gratifying when someone want to date you. But not change fact that would be foolish to date Cow. I not saying I NEVER would date recover addict. I just saying, first, very, very thorough and long term observations would be in order.

Well, suppose you didn't know? Suppose it was never mentioned? We've all done stupid things in our past, why would this one particular thing forever paint us as a pariah if we are no longer practicing "drunks?" Having had an addiction is not like being a murderer or a child molester. In other words, it isn't a crime to have liked a perfectly legal substance a bit too much, and then having to learn to control it and continue to do so. If I went out with a woman who was once overweight, would it be incumbent upon her to spill the beans about how she once had a problem controlling how much she ate? Should I say, "Oh no, it might happen again. I better steer clear of this one!" I know overeating doesn't pose as many dangers (to others) as does alcohol abuse, but I hope you are understanding my point here.

Cow 06-17-2014 02:46 PM

Well, my "one particular thing" was not just "little bit" of problem. It comprise 30 year of black out, illegal activity, mental illness, career meltdown crazytown. So that why I say it depend and require investigation.

Total understand you point. I not think hasing been alcoholic is lifelong albatross. Is for everyone to decide what they needs to reveal to new people in they life. For me, I always tell anybody getting close about my past cuz was such HUGE part of my identity for so long that I personal feel is fraudulent no to tell them.

changeschoices 06-17-2014 02:50 PM

If I'd had cancer, I could have a reoccurence. Therefore, the ethical thing to do would be to inform potential serious partners about my prior cancer. Same thing with alcoholism. Relapse is entirely possible. Some things are deal breakers in potential relationships...having kids, not wanting to have kids, having financial problems, having mental health problems, having a criminal record, whatever. Anyone is entitled to refuse to date anyone they don't want to based on their personal deal breakers. No one is entitled to have a relationship just because they think they deserve one, despite their pasts. That's life.

KAD 06-17-2014 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cow (Post 4724077)
Well, my "one particular thing" was not just "little bit" of problem. It comprise 30 year of black out, illegal activity, mental illness, career meltdown crazytown. So that why I say it depend and require investigation.

Total understand you point. I not think hasing been alcoholic is lifelong albatross. Is for everyone to decide what they needs to reveal to new people in they life. For me, I always tell anybody getting close about my past cuz was such HUGE part of my identity for so long that I personal feel is fraudulent no to tell them.

I guess maybe the difference for me is that I didn't have symptoms as severe as the ones you mentioned. I never blacked out, never got arrested (not even for DUI), never lost a job over drinking... I always stayed under the radar. I understand your points. It just seems to perpetuate this feeling of hopelessness and being...unlovable, because of past mistakes. In my opinion, that in and of itself lends itself to the temptation to use again.

Cow 06-17-2014 03:16 PM

I never say I not lovable --I total lovable! I mean, looks at me! I freaking adorable! :) But serious, most peoples does no reject me, even when I was still living in heart of darkness. I just feel like I wants to be transparent.

For me, enormity of it would be like, to use changeschoices analogy, not revealing that I have survive cancer and had breasts remove, or something. For you, maybe is just like omiting that you once had suspicious mole taken off you nose. I think is spectrum, and is very individual.

But I also think, if you gonna be tempted to use cuz you get romantically rejected, then you not ready to date!

KAD 06-17-2014 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cow (Post 4724134)
But I also think, if you gonna be tempted to use cuz you get romantically rejected, then you not ready to date!

No, not saying I would be tempted to use again out of rejection, but I could see how some people might become really depressed and dejected and just give up. I'm not ready to date, personally, because I feel I have too much work left to do on myself. Romance puts a whole new spin on everything, and it's a fast spin! I don't think I could handle the emotional investment right now, simply because it would be too distracting.

Cow 06-17-2014 03:33 PM

GMO, Sorry, I mean 'you' as in impersonal 'everybody.'

Dating very tough. Even my total healthy, normal, non-addict friends is depress and dejected about it. So, yeah, you gotta be ready ride some waves before you hit that beach.

Raider 06-17-2014 03:35 PM

Well unlike Cow, I am not totally lovable. I have a hair that keeps growing out of my chin I have to keep a close eye on, my stomach is ugly, my eyelashes look all willywonka in the morning because I am a side sleeper, and I'm totally freaked out if my house is not clean to my standards. SOOOOOOO.....all that and the fact, I'm married, means I probably shouldn't date. But if that was all different, and someone didn't want to date me because I'm an alcoholic, well then I would accept that. I understand that.

Raider 06-17-2014 03:44 PM

Someone better come along soon and tell me I'm loveable......:(

Cow 06-17-2014 03:44 PM

Ha ha moo ha! You wrong, you total lovable!

Raider 06-17-2014 04:24 PM

That's more like it Cow. You sweet thing.

Cow 06-17-2014 04:41 PM

Hey, we posts at exact same time! Deja Moo!

desypete 06-17-2014 08:28 PM

its not so much if your going to drink again or not that people should worry about when getting into a relationship with and alcoholic.

its how good are they at working a daily living program, do they honestly put others ahead of there own self ? or are they still full of self ?

a dog would have a better life than anyone trying to live with an alcoholic who doesn't drink anymore but hasn't changed either.

how would you know if people have changed ? its simply look at how much work they do to help others
if there not helping others then there to busy helping themselves.

HopefulFaithful 06-17-2014 10:19 PM

I was dating a recovering alcoholic recently... you can read my posts about it on another thread. I really care about him. His latest email is kind of weird.. just today. I asked him how he is doing and how his recovery is going and he said "I am not on parole" and basically asked me to not email him. Then.. earlier in the week he sent a very appreciative email. It is really hard to figure out how to support a recovering alcoholic sometimes. I quit so so so long ago.. and I was VERY young when I had my problem. So my total immaturity when I had the drinking problem was during college years... and the immaturity more expected. So this grown man with grown kids I was recently dating... just updated his current dating profile and likens himself to a character from a movie... a VERY IMMATURE TEENAGE MOVIE PARTY BOY-ADDICT CHARACTER... but with a brain.. In a dating profile he says this. I was totally shocked..and laughed a little but also felt sorry for him... does he really think grown women want to date an idiot addict party boy.. but with a brain? I don't think any woman would want to date that except the type that would ruin your life. SAD. I have a friend who is still actively drinking and he is dating a woman who probably pours the liquor down his throat because she is so insecure that she is afraid he will leave her... that she wants to keep him drunk so no woman his age will steal him (she is 13 years older than he). She may want a totally immature high school like addict type with a brain.. but most grown women would not. There is SO MUCH WONDERFUL LOVE WHEN NOT ON A ROLLERCOASTER.

My recently ex, newly sober boyfriend... told me his last girlfriend before me was a recovering alcoholic.
I feel bad that he did not tell me he was actively drinking when we started dating, and that he lied to me and said he was sober 5 years. I feel glad he went back to rehab and is apparently now sober a few months.. but..WOW if he was honest from day one.. we could have had a great time, and become friends and then been only friends and our hearts would not be hurting and he would not be reacting like I am his mom. But because he put himself in the us versus them...position and lied.. well.. continuing in that train of thought even though he is sober.. it is repelling goodhearted honest kind friends who are not out to get him, not trying to investigate. But willling to support him. But he is reacting like he the victim of the spanish inquisition... This leads me to start wondering... about how oversensitive people in early recovery are... especially when they have relapsed a bunch of times like this guy has. Also.. it makes me wonder if there is a whole lot of work he needs to do to not feel picked on. I think even asking a simple question about how recovery is going (fishing for are you actually sober for real or not)... he reacts in a very inappropriate way... and kind of blasts the asker.

So.. I am not sure ... I would love to hear other people's thoughts who are more recently recovered from alcoholism. There seems to be a kind of us versus them mentality that just having a 20 something year history of hiding stuff from everyone brings... and that us versus them attitude...tends to lead towards a weird embracing of a carefree party boy idiot like the fictional character...
I am a pretty carefree and fun person... but I also have kids and responsibilities... and I don't overreact that often to people inquiring.... but once in awhile when my MOM asks.. I do...

So I am wondering... do a lot of recovering alcoholics treat everyone like they feel like they are a kid in trouble and everyone expressing any concern at all is like their MOM and develop some kind of us versus them... commerarderie... like the sober for years folks are the enemy and the alcoholics whether sober or in recovery are the only fun people.. ??? Does anyone get what I am saying and have examples? I think my ex boyfriend forgot that I used to drink... I am very sorry he feels picked on ... kind of weird since I don't talk to him much. But it is almost like he formed an permanent opinion of everyone who is not an alcoholic is picking on him.... That makes me sad and i do not know if his particular recovery program will address that...
Seriously, he is a very kind, very nice fun guy... he just has his thinking in this rut and not sure when that willl lift. But believe me I am not in the mood to listen to it right now..

HopefulFaithful 06-17-2014 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Raider (Post 4724195)
Someone better come along soon and tell me I'm loveable......:(

Raider.. I am sure you are loveable.. hug for you... and I hope your real life (rather than online) person shows up soon... Good luck...

WE ARE ALL FIXERS... not just the alcoholics. We all say stupid stuff, we all make mistakes and we all are responsible for watching our own behavior with our loved ones and not trampling them.

HopefulFaithful 06-17-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 4722431)
If I can be honest about something here, this topic leaves me feeling a little gloomy because I am one of those recovering alcoholics. The idea that I might never find another woman who would want to give me a chance leaves a big hole in my heart. To be honest, it would be cause for me to not even admit it.

I'm not permanently damaged goods, and although there may be many who are eff'd up beyond repair, I'd wager there are just as many who are honestly, earnestly seeking to stay sober for the rest of their lives and just be normal. I'm one of those.

Get me out... your sincerity will go a long long way towards keeping the right woman. Please tell the truth from the beginning. The lies hurt worse than realizing someone is an addict, by the way. I would date a recovered alcoholic if he showed extraordinary maturity... and did not treat me like I am the cause of his drinking.... the thing that is bugging me when I talk to my recently back from rehab (again) ex boyfriend...is I think he forgets to wash away all his previous experiences with people that were concerned about him... and he kind of assumes the world is black and white like co-dependent and alcoholic. I hope that goes away for him. Because ... I came in many many years after the fact of his problems... and because he hid the problems I had to ask a lot of questions way after the time he should have told me... so he feels like he is picked on just for my wanting to know the real status of his recovery. That makes me sad... so my tip is be very careful and allow your potential partner to have feelings about really wanting to know what is what.. and even if you do relapse tell the truth and be humble. In my recent ex boyfriend's case.. i know why he was drinking.. it stems from parental abuse.. so it has nothing to do with me... I am not the cause.. I do not know how to act in a way he can accept ... that people can have concern and that be valid..and not be co-dependent enablers. It is not so black and white.

KAD 06-18-2014 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by HopefulFaithful (Post 4724783)
So I am wondering... do a lot of recovering alcoholics treat everyone like they feel like they are a kid in trouble and everyone expressing any concern at all is like their MOM and develop some kind of us versus them...

In my own experience, this dynamic has existed only in the sense that, once it was known I had a drinking problem - which I freely admitted but then continued to hide it - I did feel like I was constantly being supervised, policed, and was going to be "in trouble" if I got caught. It did create a sort of parent/child relationship that I found very uncomfortable and frustrating. Once, when I was caught hiding alcohol, my solution was to buy a breathalyzer so my SO at the time could check up on me at any time. Oh, how I grew to despise that damned breathalyzer! It only reinforced the parent/child dynamic and I felt like a prisoner. But it was a dynamic I created. I knew the terms of the relationship were such that I either continue to drink and go my own way, because she wasn't going to put up with it, or behave like an inmate subject to frequent inspections. Really, I wanted neither, but it was the situation I created and saw no way out. So, now the relationship is over...

KAD 06-18-2014 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by HopefulFaithful (Post 4724828)
I would date a recovered alcoholic if he showed extraordinary maturity... and did not treat me like I am the cause of his drinking....

Never once have I blamed my drinking on anyone but myself. I had a rough childhood with an abusive father (who did not drink at all but was a religious zealot) and grew up with very low self esteem. I think that set the stage for turning to some substance as an escape, but I have always known the responsibility is all mine. I could have stopped but I didn't. I continued until I got physically hooked, and now had to go to the doctor to get help quitting. This is day 6 for me after a month and half long binge. I was sober 3 months before that. I sincerely want it to be the last time. I am taking Antabuse again and will stay on it this time.

HopefulFaithful 06-18-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by GetMeOut (Post 4725002)
In my own experience, this dynamic has existed only in the sense that, once it was known I had a drinking problem - which I freely admitted but then continued to hide it - I did feel like I was constantly being supervised, policed, and was going to be "in trouble" if I got caught. It did create a sort of parent/child relationship that I found very uncomfortable and frustrating. Once, when I was caught hiding alcohol, my solution was to buy a breathalyzer so my SO at the time could check up on me at any time. Oh, how I grew to despise that damned breathalyzer! It only reinforced the parent/child dynamic and I felt like a prisoner. But it was a dynamic I created. I knew the terms of the relationship were such that I either continue to drink and go my own way, because she wasn't going to put up with it, or behave like an inmate subject to frequent inspections. Really, I wanted neither, but it was the situation I created and saw no way out. So, now the relationship is over...

Thank you Get Me Out. I really appreciate your perspective.

gardendiva 06-18-2014 08:17 AM

I have been married to a recovering drunk and an active drunk. One ended in divorce, the other in death. Currently married to a normie and thankful for him every day.