SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Tell me something that you heard that stuck.. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/269110-tell-me-something-you-heard-stuck.html)

HeavyJ 09-25-2012 12:01 PM

Tell me something that you heard that stuck..

I recently shared this in another thread. I heard a man say, "I have been sober for 14 years, and the longest I ever went without a drink was 24 hours"

Have you heard something that has stuck with you and helped you stay sober??

pipparina 09-25-2012 12:05 PM

"think through the drink". whenever I thought about drinking, this helped me take it past that first drink to the chaos that would soon ensue.

PaperDolls 09-25-2012 12:07 PM

The Serenity Prayer.

Lynn83 09-25-2012 12:15 PM

“Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the spirit.” Ephesians 5:18 (NCV)

MrsKing 09-25-2012 12:17 PM

"I will never drink again and I will never change my mind" ;)

F355 09-25-2012 02:33 PM

"25 years of not taking that first drink..."

bbthumper 09-25-2012 02:34 PM

My mind would have killed my body a long time ago, but it needed it for transportation.

bbthumper 09-25-2012 02:35 PM

Serenity- not freedom from the storm, but calm in the midst of the storm.

hillOH 09-25-2012 03:35 PM

"Soberity gives what alcohol promises"

Something like that, saw it on a signiture from a user here, and i've been thinking all day about it.

Sapling 09-25-2012 03:56 PM

I like it hillOH....That's good. I heard this from an oldtimer (50 years sober) in my homegroup.

If you don't have a drink. You'll never need a drink.

Soberween 09-25-2012 04:06 PM

Someone here said "Functional alcoholism is not a type of alcoholism, it is a stage of alcoholism." It will always progress.

tammy711 09-25-2012 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lynn83 (Post 3594378)
“Don’t be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the spirit.” Ephesians 5:18 (NCV)

Check out what I have listed below my member name ;-)

tammy711 09-25-2012 04:22 PM

I think the advice that has really helped me and something that luckily stuck, was something about never giving up trying to get sober. After my last relapse I had kind of just given up trying, but in the back of my head I kept hearing that phrase. I didn't actually know how I would "try" again, but since the phrase stuck with me, I did once again give it a shot and with a lot more experience on how not just to stay sober, but enjoy living sober. I prayed nearly every single morning on my way to work for God to help me. I broke a lot of promises to Him.

One day, things just clicked. I know it was divine intervention. It was on His time, not mine.

If you're still drinking and reading this, never stop trying to get sober. Learn something from every experience.

-
-

MycoolFitz 09-25-2012 04:23 PM

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I vow to cultivate good health, both physical
and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming.
I vow to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and
in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol
or any other intoxicants, or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain T.V.
programs, magazines, books, films and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body and my
consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future
generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion by practicing a diet for myself
and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation, and for the
transformation of society."
The Five Wonderful Precepts. By Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh

lilyrosemary 09-25-2012 04:37 PM

this doesn't have really anything to do with drinking but it helps when working the steps, mainly step 9: "never ruin an apology with an excuse"

flutter 09-25-2012 05:12 PM

"I have never regretted not drinking" (when thinking about how I'll "miss out" by not drinking at some event/party/etc very early in recovery). Understanding that I wouldn't wake up thinking "Dang, I wish I would have gotten trashed last night" was some weird learning curve for me, and it stuck. 4 years later I still have never regretted not drinking.

tomsteve 09-25-2012 05:19 PM

hard to narrow it down to one thing. depends on what i am dealing with at the moment, but the improvised serentiy prayer sticks out right now
God
grant me the serenity
to accept the people i cant change
courage to change the one i can
and wisdom to know thats me.

Mescal 09-25-2012 05:53 PM

Alcoholism is progressive, while you're staying sober alcohol is doing pushups getting stronger in case you relapse.

Scolova 09-25-2012 06:22 PM

You do not 'have to' drink.... There is no gun pointed at your head, except the one you put in your hand.

Eddiebuckle 09-25-2012 06:33 PM

What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.

BB, pg. 85