SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I will beat alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/257633-i-will-beat-alcoholism.html)

dawnie24 05-24-2012 08:28 AM

I will beat alcoholism

Its my 1st day (again) to becoming sober.
I want to be a new person and enjoy life instead of being really depressed and down and drunk.
I don't wanna die at 25 I got my whole life ahead of me and I have a family to enjoy it with

RobbyRobot 05-24-2012 08:35 AM

Awesome, Dawnie. :)

Give yourself a break and don't try to get it all done on being a new sober person at the same time as you quit drinking. It takes time for us to grow into that sober person, and each of us grow and mature at our own pace.

Discovering how you can successfully stay away from drinking day after day is a worthy use of your time at this early beginning. Learning about how that works for you, and how you want to support what works for you, is absolutely essential for success.

What are your plans for today and into the next week or so?

I hope for you every success!

bluoval 05-24-2012 09:00 AM

Don't try to fight it. The fight is always fixed every time you go back into the ring. Raise the white flag. Throw in the gloves. Just surrender.

Zencat 05-24-2012 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by bluoval (Post 3414616)
Don't try to fight it. The fight is always fixed every time you go back into the ring. Raise the white flag. Throw in the gloves. Just surrender.

Just let go as there is no need to struggle against active addiction. I found freeing myself of the thoughts and behaviors that keep me stuck is very liberating. :) You can do it to!

SoulFly 05-24-2012 11:42 AM

I started today again, after 6 days being sober I slipped yesterday. Hope we gonna beat it good luck

bmwcycle 05-24-2012 11:44 AM

Good Luck, what are you doing different this time?

Boleo 05-24-2012 11:45 AM

I agree with Bluoval.

Addiction does not often respond to diligence, determination or willpower. The concept of surrender may sound counter-intuitive. However, the only way to win this game is to not make the next move.

dawnie24 05-24-2012 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot (Post 3414584)
Awesome, Dawnie. :)

Give yourself a break and don't try to get it all done on being a new sober person at the same time as you quit drinking. It takes time for us to grow into that sober person, and each of us grow and mature at our own pace.

Discovering how you can successfully stay away from drinking day after day is a worthy use of your time at this early beginning. Learning about how that works for you, and how you want to support what works for you, is absolutely essential for success.

What are your plans for today and into the next week or so?

I hope for you every success!

I really wanna be sober now I'm really scared about my health which I should really be getting into the GP and speaking about getting blood tests done

My plans tonight are to get an early night lol and next week keep away from that booze

dawnie24 05-24-2012 01:09 PM

I can't take no more waking up feeling guilty and crap and sore coz of the night before I do surrender but I gotta keep away from it

dawnie24 05-24-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SoulFly (Post 3414794)
I started today again, after 6 days being sober I slipped yesterday. Hope we gonna beat it good luck

We can do this together :)

dawnie24 05-24-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by bmwcycle (Post 3414795)
Good Luck, what are you doing different this time?

I have no idea but gunna figure somethin out when I've had some sleep coz I'm absolutely tired

dawnie24 05-24-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boleo (Post 3414797)
I agree with Bluoval.

Addiction does not often respond to diligence, determination or willpower. The concept of surrender may sound counter-intuitive. However, the only way to win this game is to not make the next move.

And I'm going to try my all not to make that next move coz otherwise ill never do it

2granddaughters 05-24-2012 01:20 PM

dawnie, are you going to AA meetings?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.

tomsteve 05-24-2012 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by dawnie24 (Post 3414907)
I have no idea but gunna figure somethin out when I've had some sleep coz I'm absolutely tired

the problem i had with trying to figure out how to stop drining was that i was using my own thinking and that got me to where i was. when i started using the thinking and actions of people who have recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made me drink ( who are in AA) the craving, complsion, and obsession to drink were removed.
hope ya make a decision to do whatever ya gotta do to get sober! yer worth it and sobriety rocks!!

RobbyRobot 05-24-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by dawnie24 (Post 3414894)
I really wanna be sober now I'm really scared about my health which I should really be getting into the GP and speaking about getting blood tests done

My plans tonight are to get an early night lol and next week keep away from that booze

Keeping away works best when we also embrace changes in ourselves and in our lifestyles, have always been my experiences, and what I've learned from others too.

Changing enough to be free of the drinking problem is no easy accomplishment, and yet if we don't bring about some real change, it is almost certain we will suffer, and drink again sooner or later.

From your other responses in the thread, I can appreciate how much you are putting into quitting drinking, and I remember how quitting feels. I hope you are able to get past enough of your challenges to enjoy some real changes which in turn will really help you stay away from booze.

For me, real change required really examining myself, and from that place of examination, I made my plans for changes to not get drunk again.

AA helped me bring those changes into my life. AA is not for everyone of course. No matter. What ever works to bring about real sustained change will work well enough. Sometimes the change will be spiritual and sometimes not. It really is respective of each persons wants, needs, and desires, of what works best.

I hope you can discover the changes required for you, Dawnie, to enjoy being free from the drinking problem. When we can finally stay away from alcohol, many wonderful experiences are ours to enjoy!

Hevyn 05-24-2012 03:09 PM

You can definitely do it, Dawnie. Don't give up on yourself this time.

SoulFly 05-24-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by dawnie24 (Post 3414902)
We can do this together :)

We will dawine so lets see who can stay sober more you or me :ghug3

sugarbear1 05-24-2012 06:08 PM

I am impressed with your resolve! You CAN stay stopped!

Are you willing to read the online book Alcoholics Anonymous? Or find the audio version and take a listen?

xa-speakers.org is also a good listen.

I'm rooting for you, Dawnie24!

dawnie24 05-24-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters (Post 3414916)
dawnie, are you going to AA meetings?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R.

Hi bob, no I'm not atm coz there's not one close enough to were I live

dawnie24 05-24-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by tomsteve (Post 3414937)
the problem i had with trying to figure out how to stop drining was that i was using my own thinking and that got me to where i was. when i started using the thinking and actions of people who have recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made me drink ( who are in AA) the craving, complsion, and obsession to drink were removed.
hope ya make a decision to do whatever ya gotta do to get sober! yer worth it and sobriety rocks!!

Its the cravings I'm worried about, I stopped for 6 days other week and I don't know what's changed since then, but I'm gonna see what I did wrong last time and put it right if you know what I mean