SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Is alcoholism in your family? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/226365-alcoholism-your-family.html)

MsCooterBrown 05-07-2011 11:00 AM

Alcoholics and drug addicts on both sides. I then married into alcoholics and addicts..I befriended alcoholics and addicts...My tree and orchard is full!

yeahgr8 05-07-2011 12:56 PM

Very much so on my father's side...

Mida 05-07-2011 03:22 PM

Not sure about alcoholism (could be denial on my part as we're Catholic lol) but lots of heavy drinking mostly from the men in the family though I decided to break the mold...girl power ;)...ugh...

aussieblue 05-07-2011 03:30 PM

On my mothers side , my brother is an alcaholic also.

Kellye C 05-07-2011 03:34 PM

Growing up my mom's uncle was the family drunk. It was from watching the crap he put my grandma and mom through that I said I would NEVER be like that. Ha!

It wasn't until I was heavy into my own alcoholism that I realized that my dad was one too. We didn't have a close relationship when I was growing up but for a period of time before I got sober we would meet for lunch on my lunch break from work. I would be shaking like a leaf and so would he. He wasn't working though and would order a beer. I couldn't and I would secretly be dying inside because I couldn't stand to watch him drink it.

After I got sober my mom told me that she had almost crossed that line but was somehow able to get it together.

BTW, if you can't tell by my picture, you can add me to the Irish bunch LOL!!!

Hugs,
Kellye

Linz 05-07-2011 06:01 PM

Both sides and scattered. aunts, uncles, cousins. grandparents, parents and brothers.

MrDavid 05-07-2011 10:41 PM

Re:Is alcoholism in your family?

Originally Posted by Scrubmuncher (Post 2958653)
Does it run in the family, or are you the black sheep?

No history of alcoholism...that I'm aware of; even though there were rumors surfacing about a certain uncle who like to get his drink on from time to time, making a complete fool out of himself in the process but nothing worth mentioning.

However, there is one thing worth mentioning and that is this: I am a recovering alcoholic...who needs to be reminded of that, regardless of a genetic predisposition or not. There is no cure for my alcoholism, just "A daily reprieve contingent upon my spiritual conditioning" and I have AA, my sober network and this forum to thank for that.

~God bless~
A quote from "The Twelve and Twelve" of "AA"

Peta 05-07-2011 11:36 PM

Yup

- Dad = 12 years sober but was an active alcoholic during my childhood

- Mum = Just come into AA this year - which is a blessing

loveon2legs 05-08-2011 08:04 AM

My Dad and my brother....My Dad was sober for 20 plus years before he passed away... but you know the doctors thought he was still a drinker because of the condition of his liver!!!! My brother still drinks...and it's sad to see....

Nostalgic 09-24-2011 07:44 PM

My uncle, my dad's kid brother, died at 42 from alcoholism.

His drinking destroyed first his career, then his marriage, and then finally took his life.

I remember seeing him in the hospital; he was bloated, his skin yellow and he was clearly dying, yet he continued to try and get booze whenever possible. It was sad, it pained me to see a close member of my family being slowly torn away from me.

Other than that...not really. My mum has never really taken to alcohol and my dad drinks with relative moderation. Other members seem to be fine, but it's hard to tell.

I hope the alcoholism in my family ends with me; I hope my future kids and family do not suffer as we have done. :)

Stang 09-24-2011 08:52 PM

My mother was an adopted child so I'm not sure about her side. No alcoholics on my fathers side. The ole man BBQ ed a hog Friday. I watched him, my uncle, and two family friends drink maybe two drinks a piece over a seven hour period. I was thinking 'how the **** does anybody do that". If I had taken the first one I woud have drank at least a fifth of bourbon.

Stryfe 09-24-2011 08:55 PM

My uncle on my mother's side is an alcoholic. But we never saw him growing up because he lived overseas back then. My grandfather was an alcoholic but he died when I was a toddler. My older sister is an alcoholic and she went to rehab and has been clean for almost a year. I have alcoholics on both sides of my family but my mother or father and family members who we saw on a regular basis were not alcoholics. When I was growing up, there were pints of liquor and bottles of wine in our home that stayed in the shelf for years untouched until I began experimenting with those same bottles in my late teens. There were unopened Hennessy bottles that were years old in our home as well as souvenir champagne bottles from visits to France and Italy. It is ironic that those same Hennessy pint bottles wouldn't last me an hour in my later years in my 20's. This is how alcoholism snuck up on me. I had alcoholic genes all along without actually living with or near any of my alcoholic relatives.

Beebizzy 09-24-2011 09:44 PM

Same for me. My parents barely drink but kept bottles of this and that in the house, which I drank from in my early 20s.

Addiction comes from the paternal side of my family - 2 uncles, 1 an alcoholic and 1 died in his 20s from heroin addiction. Probably there are even more further back that I don't know about.

choublak 09-25-2011 02:27 AM

My mom's side is.

My grandfather grew up with an abusive alcoholic father (my great-grandfather). He would spend his paycheck on booze, come home drunk and beat his wife and kids. The oldest of my grandfather's sisters would try and fight him back.

So, the great-grandfather was kicked out of the house by my great-grandmother, and ended up dying alone, in his fifties, in some shady motel room.

My grandparents had 12 kids. Seven males, five females. All but one of the males are alcoholics. One of whom hit a tree head-on when he was driving drunk and passed out at the wheel. His neck snapped and he died immediately. He was 24. The pathologist who did the autopsy said when he opened up the body, it reeked of alcohol.

The other uncles have had various problems, DUI's, in the past but are now in recovery.

The nieces and nephews, myself included, but I don't know how many there are LOL, don't have problems with alcohol that I know of. They're either normies, just choose to not drink, or they are too young. Some of my cousins are still babies.

paulamarie 09-25-2011 05:42 AM

My father definatly. He had a mean, nasty personality. I think he suffered from depression.

As far as being the black sheep, I was as far back as I can remember. Probably some dirty little secret, like Im my uncles daughter. Its all stupid to me.
My two sister seem fine.
Denial and acting like everything was fine was the norm in my family. We didnt talk about anything and I realized lately, looking back, that there was no laughter.

YouAndTequila 09-25-2011 12:27 PM

Alcoholism is all through my family. I think it goes way back. I grew up in an alcohol-fueled, violent household. I was the black sheep until just 5 years ago when I decided to pick up during a particulary trying time in my life. Both my parents died young. My brother was killed in a drunken crash very young, he wasn't the driver, but the driver was drunk. Nothing good ever comes from it, wish I never started, I should've known better.

sable1 09-25-2011 02:04 PM

In my case, it does run in my family. My uncle drank himself to death, I have to brothers in their 30's who are both active alcoholics. Functioning ones with jobs, yes, but they are alcoholics without a doubt. My father.... well, it's hard to know, I see him sneeking drinks all the time whenever my mom doesn't see, and I have a suspicioun that he keeps bottles in different places. I don't think he would ever quit drinking, it's one of his main passions in life but he is very functioning. Works a lot, is active.
So, yes, I would definitly say that alcoholism runs in my family. I'm curious as to how much role the genes played in me becoming addicted.

LifeRecovery 09-25-2011 02:57 PM

Interesting post idea:

My mother is from an Irish/Catholic family with a lot of alcohol issues. My paternal grandfather was an alcoholic, though none of his nine kids drink. Many of them married people with alcohol concerns though, and there is a lot of addiction throughout the cousins etc.

I am really just starting to realize that my dad grew up with active addiction in his house to.

I am not the black sheep in the family, but they all think this recovery stuff is pretty weird.

Eliasson 09-25-2011 04:32 PM

Mom, aunt, grandparents, cousin. Me.

loveon2legs 09-25-2011 06:06 PM

yes, my Dad was an alcoholic...and my brother....and then me.....praying it stops with us.....