SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Is alcoholism in your family? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/226365-alcoholism-your-family.html)

Hopeworks 05-05-2011 07:45 PM

Alcoholism doesn't run in my family it flowed through it like a raging river ... those affected are either dead, in jail or in recovery. Fortunately the family cycle has been broken in the latest generation with all 6 grown grandchildren appearing to be normal drinkers or abstainers.

Zebra1275 05-05-2011 07:58 PM

Yep, it's in my family on my father's side.

Supercrew 05-05-2011 09:36 PM

I have it on both sides. It is more apparent on my Mom's side and she has a much bigger family, but it is in the genes all the way around and there is alot of Irish on both sides...go figure.

RyanRed 05-05-2011 09:58 PM

I really dont think it is in mine. Although I grew up with my mom going to AA pretty much all my young and teenage life. She wasnt an alcoholic though. She went because she was a pill popper. I didnt know the truth about that until these last few years actually. I know my aunt (moms sister) used to drink a lot, but not sure if she feel in to the alcohol genre.

Funny how I grew up all around AA as a kid, only to end up with the addiction. HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN! I want a mulligan! :)

-Ryan

TheEnd 05-05-2011 10:09 PM

Both of my grandfathers were alcoholics. My parents were spared, because they didn't drink, I guess they knew better. My sister and I weren't so lucky

VeeTee 05-05-2011 11:27 PM

I seem to be the black sheep in my family. In the past this has triggered some ideas of "maybe I am not an alcoholic...". But, I know better. I surely am.

Glad to know that there are some other black sheep out there.

juliwuli 05-06-2011 03:49 AM

my parents never drank and hated it with a passion, no brothers or sisters, my aunts and uncles are all teetotal, definitely a black sheep here, cant think of a single relative alive or dead who ever had a problem with alcohol,

ronf 05-06-2011 04:26 AM

I was adopted. Grew up in a normy household. As an adult I have met all my biological family. There are more frickin drunks behind me than you can shake a stick at. My birth mother had 6 children, 4 of us are drunks.

Ron

jamdls 05-06-2011 06:36 AM

I'm the only 1 in my family who has ever admitted they had a drinking problem and sought help to my knowledge. My dad quit drinking 25+ yrs ago and now acknowledges that it was a problem but no one else in the family thinks that way. On my dad's side (the Irish half...) there were numerous "problem drinkers"; none that I know of in my mother's family; 2 of my 4 siblings drink a lot, 2 have never drank.

Enoy 05-06-2011 08:14 AM

My father's side ... entire side going back generations have been alcoholics and in one case drug addict.

My mothers side there are not addicts/alcoholics that I know of.

The combinations is me.... the spiritual , do anything for those I love side of my mom... And the alcoholic , immature side of my dad.

Although dad did teach me alot about responsibility and respect and honor I also learned alot of **** poor behavioral traits when drinking.

WindOfChange 05-06-2011 09:24 AM

yep...and I got a double dose.
Time to turn the cards around!

polaris 05-06-2011 01:31 PM

Yep, before I was born my dad almost died from pancreatitis due to his drinking. He said he remembers an uncle that would come over and bring cases of Gin which he would drink throughout the day, and then after a heart attack (the doctor told him to quit drinking) he switched from Gin to Beer. My grandpa who died at 36...well there is speculation that his death was due to drinking.

Humbled77 05-06-2011 02:01 PM

Paternal Grandfather - lifelong drinker
Paternal Grandmother - lifelong drinker
Maternal Grandmother - drank herself to death
Mother - 30 years sober
Father - Alcoholic
Maternal Uncle - Stabbed in a drunken bar fight
Maternal Aunt - Drank herself to death
Paternal 2 Aunts - Alcoholics
Paternal Cousin - Died drunk driving

I guess I am genetically doomed. Except that I believe in self.

oak 05-06-2011 02:25 PM

Both my parents drank a lot. At least one grandparent drank a lot.

BHF 05-06-2011 02:40 PM

I know that it runs on my mother's side of the family - uncle who has never been able to pull it together, another uncle who has had drinking "issues", a great uncle who was an alcoholic. I've been told that my father's mother enjoyed more than a nip every now and then.

Oddly, neither of my parents have ever had issues and only drank socially. One sibling has no issues and the other does.

smacked 05-06-2011 02:43 PM

I grew up in foster care in Los Angeles.. I lived in several 'familial' homes. Most of them were homes filled with addiction and alcoholism. No surprise to me that I'm here :)

least 05-06-2011 03:00 PM

No alkies that I know of in my family on either side. I have the dubious distinction of being the first one.:(

WakeUp 05-06-2011 03:16 PM

Alcoholics one one side of the family, prescription drug addicts on the other. I obviously take after the alcoholic side.

24hrsAday 05-06-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scrubmuncher (Post 2958653)
Does it run in the family, or are you the black sheep?

it sure does.. my dads dad was Alcoholic and so is his brother..

tallcactus 05-06-2011 10:26 PM

Alcholics on both sides of the tree. I come from a vey long line of drunks.