SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Stupid things you've done? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/209218-stupid-things-youve-done.html)

Soph 09-16-2010 02:02 PM

Stupid things you've done?

Hi, I know there have been threads like this before, but oh well, I was thinking of some stupid things I have done while drinking and I thought maybe it would help to hear others' stupid things too.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Got a DUI at age 25 for drunkenly driving the wrong way down a one-way..and the worst part was, my boyfriend who was even drunker than I was, had convinced me I was sober enough to drive us both home. When the cop arrested me, he said to my boyfriend "You seem pretty sober. Why don't you take the car on home" as I got ferried off to the police station! My bf drove home, passed out, then came and collected me hours later.

2. Tripped over my sleeping dog in the dark a few years ago and hit the floor chin first, splitting it open and requiring stitches, (after several glasses of wine.) I am ashamed to say I blamed the dog (to my Dad, who drove me to the ER.)

3. Drunkenly writing myself a note in a ladies room about the guy I was at dinner with and finding it the next day in scribble "he is not worth it...he's a pig" (which actually I found to be the case.)

Thanks for being here. I think I could write an entire book but this isn't about me. It's about all of us realizing how sick we were and how grateful we are to be on the road to recovery!

Soph

tallcactus 09-16-2010 02:55 PM

I was just plain stupid each and every time I indulged.

Bellasprogram 09-16-2010 03:09 PM

You mean the stupid things that I can "Remember" doing?
Well, there's an event that I can share;
Making a meatloaf while being inspired by some Wild Turkey. Sticking it in the oven without turning the oven on (thank God) then passing out. Several days later I could NOT understand WHAT that SMELL was--
Oh right. I took out the meat/maggot loaf--and, because I was also drunk when I found it, I simply threw it out my apartment window. It landed on my landlord's car...do I need to go on...
I di a lot of dumb things, but mostly my actions were very sad and dangerous.

wow1323 09-16-2010 03:28 PM

Too many to share. ugh

loveon2legs 09-16-2010 03:32 PM

Wow!! I could name sooo many!!! the DUI I got has to be tops on the list!! Drunk dialing is another faux paux I did alot!!! so glad those days are over!!!

Zebra1275 09-16-2010 05:02 PM

Everytime I relapsed was pretty stupid. I knew better, but somehow thought things would be different.

I did most of my drinking home alone, any stupid behavior was pretty self contained.

firestorm090 09-16-2010 05:31 PM

Once while on vacation at a Tampa, Fla beach resort, drunk on rum, I was asked to leave the pool area, due to skinny dipping and waking the other guests at 4am....

seemed like a good idea at the time, lol.

CarolD 09-16-2010 05:41 PM

The most stupid thing I did when drinking?

To continue to drink when I knew I was an alcoholic.
:a043:

mama36 09-16-2010 06:04 PM

AWESOME Carol...!!!!

:a213: I'm not even going to go there about my stupidity...

D.

Timdullingworth 09-16-2010 06:09 PM

1. Got arrested for stealing alcohol (Happened over 7 times)
2. Had to be took to hospital for having 10 bottles of whisky and 3 gin.
3. Passed out in my garden in the rain all night.
4. Fell on a £50 XBOX game and scratched it.
5. Sent crazy email to my boss saying stuff like "You're so ugly, you stink and youre fat!" This happened 8 years ago - got sacked after that!

There are loads more things just as bad. Tomorrow i'm going to rehab so this is never going to happen again!

Tim.

iwantadonkey 09-16-2010 06:14 PM

ive done very very horrible things
but stupid things i think driving my car when i was so drunk i couldnt even stand properly is one of the worst and i did that on more than one occasion.
the fact i never hit anybody is a miracle.

tim i wish you luck in rehab!:ghug3

traderjane 09-16-2010 07:06 PM

Many many things. Some too embarrassing to even post here.

Along the same line as yours, Soph:

1. Driving drunk in Switzerland at night while on vacation because I thought I was able to handle it and didn't want the guy I was seeing to get a DUI (turns out I was more drunk than he was -- made it home without incident but only by luck)

2. Going to walk my dog while totally wasted. Falling flat on my face on the wood floor after losing my balance. Smashing my forehead on the ground and thinking to myself, "That's nothing at all. I'm fine." Went to bed without icing it or anything and woke up in the morning with a huge bruise/black eye that last two weeks. Had to go around pretending I tripped and was just a klutz. Someone asked me, "You didn't use your hands to brace your fall?" Me: "Ummm... uh...."

3. Numerous emails and facebook postings that look like they were written by a lunatic.

blackstrat6 09-16-2010 07:25 PM

Oh lol at the facebook/ messengers posting!! I had to check the chat archives every morning to see who I had met and what I had agreed too.
I have fallen down numerous sets of stairs. I have broken fingers and toes. I once urinated in my stepdaughters closet, must have thought it was the bathroom.
I have rolled 2 trucks and wrecked a couple others.
I have lost firearms, never to be found again.
I have woke up with strange womens cars in my driveway i guess i borrowed while drunk. (no thefts)
I have forgotten where my truck was several times, once it was missing for a week.
I'm sure I am forgetting a whole lot of stuff..

sleepie 09-16-2010 07:39 PM

I fall off my bike a lot.

rws177 09-16-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bellasprogram (Post 2710484)
You mean the stupid things that I can "Remember" doing?
Well, there's an event that I can share;
Making a meatloaf while being inspired by some Wild Turkey. Sticking it in the oven without turning the oven on (thank God) then passing out. Several days later I could NOT understand WHAT that SMELL was--
Oh right. I took out the meat/maggot loaf--and, because I was also drunk when I found it, I simply threw it out my apartment window. It landed on my landlord's car...do I need to go on...
I di a lot of dumb things, but mostly my actions were very sad and dangerous.

This had me laughing really hard, thanks for sharing!!

TheEnd 09-16-2010 08:27 PM

Oh God, in the past two years there have been way too many to count and even think about, I'm glad I made the decision to end the cycle

Toronto68 09-16-2010 08:42 PM

Well, one of them is sending out tempestuous emails. :)

I've done that when not drinking at all, like many people would say; but I did when I WAS drinking too.

HidLid 09-16-2010 08:58 PM

Only 3? Geez, I've got many more, however I'm now past them and won't be adding to the total again.

LaFemme 09-16-2010 09:07 PM

Wow! I'm grateful I drank mostly at home! It certainly made it hard to do really spectacular stuff drunk! Still I've driven drunk and am beyond grateful nothing ever happened! There is a saying "God looks out for fools And drunks" I was both.