SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Accident (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/206775-accident.html)

TheEnd 08-10-2010 02:44 PM

I am sitting here comtemplating my future.....I have an attorney and he advised me to leave the house in case the cops come by, I already have a DUI on my record, but in NJ it's just a traffic ticket................my car is totaled..........

TheEnd 08-10-2010 02:48 PM

I probably will lose my job, I'm a teacher, atleast I used to be........I was suppossed to go to graduate school this fall, but this will probably change everything, I wish somebody would come and shoot me in the head, I really messed up this time

TheEnd 08-10-2010 02:52 PM

I read all the posts, I'm a guy, not sure that matters now

GettingStronger2 08-10-2010 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheEnd (Post 2676107)
I read all the posts, I'm a guy, not sure that matters now

odd, I was assuming you are a guy, but I hadn't noticed anything to the contrary!

I know it seems really bleak right now. I understand that you feel like nothing is worth it. But things happen. We deal with the consequences, and often, if not always, we come out stronger on the other side.

You posted here, so you have reached out, which tells me something. Face what you did. Work with your attorney to make the best of the legal situation. In the meantime, find help. I don't know much about your history, but you might benefit from a treatment program. If not, there are AA meetings all over the place. Finding people who know what you have been through, people who really do understand you and will not judge you is a huge help.

LexieCat 08-10-2010 03:09 PM

Sorry, dude,

It was the reference to your lover as "he" that threw me--I made an assumption. No matter--everything that has been said applies regardless whether you're male or female.

I'm in NJ, too, and it's a great place for AA. This isn't going to destroy your future, believe me. People have come through and had great, stunning successes after setbacks much worse than this one.

You need to pull yourself together and put the plug in the jug so you can think clearly. I strongly suggest that you get yourself to an AA meeting and talk about how you are feeling. Get into action so you don't sit around feeling like a loser or a victim. You made a mistake. You will pay some consequences for that mistake. You are neither a loser nor a victim unless you decide to play those roles.

Does your life feel unmanageable right now? USE IT. Use that unmanageability to make a leap of faith that you can get your life back. Tell us what part of NJ you are in, we can get you a list of meetings. Right now.

AlwaysGrowing 08-10-2010 03:16 PM

Unsafe Driving... - Video

Be carefull. You might just end up in a video like this.'
AG

flutter 08-10-2010 03:26 PM

You never know what your next 'bottom' could be.. embrace this opportunity to turn things around!

lildawg 08-10-2010 03:29 PM

TheEnd, I'm sorry I thought you were a woman. I am not sure why I thought that. I knew it could go either way, and I guessed wrong. Sorry.

I think you should take your lawyer's advice and leave the house. Put the plug in the jug. Go to an AA meeting. Start trying to get better.

Yeah, you have messed things up for yourself. But, here's the thing: Time marches forward. Things will improve, even if they take a different direction than what you had planned.

Whatever you choose to do: Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

MeAndOnlyMe 08-10-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by rws177 (Post 2676014)
I know this has been mentioned already but I really hope that this is a wake up call to stop drinking. Even if you do get a DUI time will pass by and you will be driving again someday. The question is will there be alcohol in your system the next time?

DUI or not, anytime anyone gets behind the wheel of a vehicle, sober or drunk, we risk killing innocent people. When we're drunk, the odds are stacked against us. I think most SR members will agree that drinking is stupid for most of us but drinking and driving is stupid for anyone and everyone.

stugotz 08-10-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by TheEnd (Post 2676100)
I probably will lose my job, I'm a teacher, atleast I used to be........I was suppossed to go to graduate school this fall, but this will probably change everything

All of these things are exactly what happens when we use. So it shouldnt come as a surprise. Sobriety has "Promises" drinking has "guarantees". Just sayin...

julez 08-10-2010 04:28 PM

Stugotz you crack me up with the "just sayin". I say that all the time :wavey:

TheEnd 08-10-2010 04:31 PM

I have adjusted to the fact I'm going to jail tomorrow, can't hide forever, just hope I don't lose my job, I will keep you guys posted

LexieCat 08-10-2010 04:51 PM

You will NOT necessarily be going to jail. In fact, I will be very surprised if you do, unless you have a history of not appearing for court.

I think you are getting carried away.

The question is, WHAT are you going to do about the drinking?

TheEnd 08-10-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 2676274)
You will NOT necessarily be going to jail. In fact, I will be very surprised if you do, unless you have a history of not appearing for court.

I think you are getting carried away.

The question is, WHAT are you going to do about the drinking?

If I get out of this, I will never drink again

LexieCat 08-10-2010 05:02 PM

OK, so what if you DON'T "get out of it"? And HOW do you plan on "never drinking again"?

It usually isn't as simple as bargaining and keeping a promise. If that's all there were to it, every one of us would be sober after our first foxhole prayer. Most of us have spent a lot of time in one foxhole after another, and make the same offer every time.

suki44883 08-10-2010 05:03 PM

I agree with Lexie in that I doubt you will go to jail. If you weren't arrested at the scene, then chances are good that you won't be arrested at all. That's not to say there won't be consequences, but I seriously doubt you'll be arrested. Hang in there and DON'T DRINK! Please let us know how it goes. :grouphug:

TheEnd 08-10-2010 05:09 PM

My partner is picking me up and taking me to dinner, seriously depressed....will let you guys know what happens

lildawg 08-10-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheEnd (Post 2676279)
If I get out of this, I will never drink again

Oh, you'll get out of it. You just may not get out of it without some unpleasant consequences.

The question is, will you never drink again anyway? I sure hope not. This drinking is obviously not a good path for you. You know if you keep going that these incidents will get more and more serious, right? When it comes to drinking it never gets better, only worse.

When I first started drinking hard, I broke some ribs by falling on a windowsill. By the time I quit drinking, I had graduated to fracturing my skull. I was also pissing my pants by that time. I have no doubt that if I had continued drinking I would be dead now. That, I'm afraid, is how this disease works.

TheEnd 08-10-2010 07:31 PM

I am ******* high,too ******* high

LexieCat 08-10-2010 07:42 PM

Great.

Post back when you are ready to have a conversation. It's pretty useless talking to someone who's high, about his drinking problem.